Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple subsidiary FIlemaker today announced the release of Bento 3, a significant update to the company's personal database software. Priced at $49 for a single-user license or $99 for a five-user family pack, Bento 3 adds integration with iPhoto, sharing of libraries over local networks, and new options for viewing information.
"Think of Bento 3 as a powerful, easy way to bring together all of your key Mac information and photos," said Ryan Rosenberg, vice president, marketing and services, FileMaker, Inc. "With Bento 3, we're providing new ways for you to view and interact with your information so you can organize contacts, projects, events and even more details of your life."
Filemaker is offering a $20 instant rebate through January 28th, 2010 for users upgrading from Bento 1 or Bento 2, and is offering a free upgrade to any customers who purchased Bento 2 between August 30th, 2009 and October 14th, 2009.

Bento was introduced in November 2007, and a companion iPhone application was launched earlier this year. An update to the iPhone application is due to be released today, bringing compatibility with Bento 3.

Article Link: Filemaker Releases Bento 3 Personal Database Software

jrichard012

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
Can this program take an existing Excel spreadsheet and convert it to a data base management format?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i've tried out bento and bento 2 before. though it does seem nice, i couldn't justify the $50 for it. i just didn't see myself using it every day. but i'll have a look at bento 3

malachiman

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
New Zealand
Downloading the upgrade now, wasnt long ago I actually brought 2 but there are some new features that will be handy for me, I use it every day for work, and actually found it more useful that I thought. I originally brought the iPhone version and got the desktop version to support that. Slow download though 60kb/sec

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Filemaker is a wholly owned subsidiary of Apple.

I think he meant eg "why doesn't FileMaker seem to not get the promotion / integration / fit-and-finish lavished on other Apple SW products".

The answer is, though, the same as above. Apple keeps its wholly-owned subsidiaries at arms'-length, and so until that changes I don't think you'll see FileMaker get the kind of attention the iTunes team gets.

(Speaking from past experience as an employee of an Apple Wholly-Owned Subsidiary)

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Nice upgrade offer. Good to see FileMaker listening to the customer comments about the lack of upgrade eligibility on version 2.

Bought the original version in London Regent Street store shortly before the second release, and have just upgraded to 3.0 for £19 using the rebate offer.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
I think he meant eg "why doesn't FileMaker seem to not get the promotion / integration / fit-and-finish lavished on other Apple SW products".

The answer is, though, the same as above. Apple keeps its wholly-owned subsidiaries at arms'-length, and so until that changes I don't think you'll see FileMaker get the kind of attention the iTunes team gets.

(Speaking from past experience as an employee of an Apple Wholly-Owned Subsidiary)

Why do they keep Filemaker as a subsidiary, as opposed to making it part of Apple?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Help me out. I looked at their website, but I'm not sure what this thing does. How is this useful? What can I do with it?

prehadclo

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
I accept: Filemaker is offering a $20 instant rebate through January 28th, 2010 for users upgrading from Bento 1 or Bento 2, and is offering a free upgrade to any customers who purchased Bento 2 between August 30th, 2009 and October 14th, 2009.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.