PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with Handbrake and MKV files as of late?

ibglowin
Sep 29, 2009, 09:20 AM
I convert quite a few TV shows (and a few movies) from MKV to :apple:TV format via Handbrake. All are 720p. Been doing this for close to 18 months now mostly no problems. Last few months and especially the last few weeks everything I have grabbed and converted has turned out with garbled (stuttering) audio once I convert them to :apple:TV. It doesn't matter if it has 5.1 or just 2.0 audio. I have tried the :apple:TV preset as well as the :apple:TV legacy preset with no difference.

Visualhub sometimes comes to the rescue but since this is no longer being updated its not my first choice. Somtimes the Visual hub encodes have fine audio but the video comes out slightly jerky.

Am I missing something here? Are people encoding MKV files differently?

VLC plays the original MKV files just fine.

I am using the latest build of Handbrake (0.9.3)

dynaflash
Sep 29, 2009, 12:03 PM
Grab the HB dev snapshot and see if you still have issues.

http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12464

JonHimself
Sep 29, 2009, 01:17 PM
I'm having the exact same issue with (what seems like) random mkv files! I haven't grabbed the report or whatever (from HandBrake) to post a question on the handbrake forums but haven't.

I'll try the snapshot as well with a file that I know was resulting the stuttering audio and see what happens.

Chad H
Sep 29, 2009, 01:32 PM
Im wondering whats going on with Meta-x? I can't get it to tag anything now. :(

hitekalex
Sep 29, 2009, 04:52 PM
Im wondering whats going on with Meta-x? I can't get it to tag anything now. :(

Same here.. It seems like the Meta X cannot correctly tag the M4V files produced by the latest Handbrake snapshot.. That's my theory anyway.

I get loss of audio on most all encodes after passing them through Meta X. :confused:

mscriv
Sep 29, 2009, 05:32 PM
I was getting all kinds of unexpectedly quit errors with MKV files on Handbrake 0.9.3 and updated to the snapshot. Since then I've had no problems and it worked great on every one of the MKV files that the previous version was having problems with. They've released a new snapshot since the one I got about a month ago, but I'm gonna stick with what I have since it's working so well.

JonHimself
Sep 29, 2009, 06:37 PM
Same here.. It seems like the Meta X cannot correctly tag the M4V files produced by the latest Handbrake snapshot.. That's my theory anyway.

I get loss of audio on most all encodes after passing them through Meta X. :confused:

Are these on files you've put through metax twice? I was having problems if I tagged them, then realized I forgot to add something and re-tagged them... it basically ruined the audio or video (or both sometimes)

ibglowin
Sep 29, 2009, 10:13 PM
Downloaded the latest snapshot version of Handbrake and so far I am 3 for 3 with MKV TV shows that all failed with garbled audio. Very impressive fix!

Now trying out a 720p MKV movie that exhibited the same audio problems.

Can someone tell me why the new :apple:TV preset downsizes a 1280 x 720 video to a smaller 960 x ? Isn't it throwing away pixels and thus part of the resolution? Or am I missing something here? :confused:

Chad H
Sep 30, 2009, 11:13 AM

No, I meant I can't get Meta-x to bring up any tag information. I've tried several different movies and it doesn't work. It might bring up one listing but thats it. It used to bring tons. What gives? :(

JonHimself
Sep 30, 2009, 11:20 AM
No, I meant I can't get Meta-x to bring up any tag information. I've tried several different movies and it doesn't work. It might bring up one listing but thats it. It used to bring tons. What gives? :(

Actually, I noticed that as well. I usually tag everything myself but I had a bunch of movies to go through and was hoping to let MetaX do it. I couldn't find anything and I was looking for very popular movies that should have been there (old school, doubt, and x-men 2).

hitekalex
Sep 30, 2009, 11:37 AM
That's because MetaX no longer works with Amazon data.. They can only get data from TagChimp, which doesn't have a lot of movies in its database.

dynaflash
Sep 30, 2009, 11:51 AM
Can someone tell me why the new :apple:TV preset downsizes a 1280 x 720 video to a smaller 960 x ? Isn't it throwing away pixels and thus part of the resolution? Or am I missing something here? :confused:
Since the atv can only handle 540p at 29.976 fps, the atv preset in hb assumes the worst from a compatibility standpoint. If you know you're source is 24 or 25 fps then go ahead and up the size to 720p.

.... and no, hb cannot determine the actual source fps until it actually encodes the movie, yes it is sort of guessed at from the preview scan's, but is often wrong.

A thought (and what I do) make you're own preset that uses 720p resoultion if you know you're hd sources are <= 25 fps.

Chad H
Sep 30, 2009, 04:52 PM
That's because MetaX no longer works with Amazon data.. They can only get data from TagChimp, which doesn't have a lot of movies in its database.

Is their any other program that can do it?

boomish
Oct 5, 2009, 06:52 AM
weird I am having exactly the same problem I have been trying to convert 3 MKV movies for past 2 weeks now , all show different amounts of jerky video when finished. PLus Metax now no longer works, it must be an update from Apple I presume. Or as previous post says maybe they are enconding MKV files differently.

I have tried every app to do the conversions but none work , always this jerky frame rate. About to install Fin Cut Pro 3 and try using the new compressor in that, I tried it once before but it took forever and that was with a 8 core Mac pro.
If anyone finds a solution let us know please..

Danksi
Oct 5, 2009, 09:41 AM
Grab the HB dev snapshot and see if you still have issues.

http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12464

I was having garbled audio problems with the last few MKV's, converted to Handbrake's Universal setting. The latest snapshot at the time, fixed the problem. I'm trying the 64-bit version. Thanks for the link.

richardhunt
Oct 7, 2009, 02:29 PM
The issue with the mkv files was a mux issue. If the mkv file was produced with one of the newer versions of mkv tools, then you'd get the garbled audio. The fix was to re-mux using an older version of mkv tools and that would fix the problem (I'm using version 2.0). I have not tried the new snapshot of handbrake but I will now, since it apparently fixes the problem and saves me the step of re-muxing.

EarthDawn
Oct 7, 2009, 04:14 PM
I gave up on using MetaX as good and easy as it was I just kept getting stumped with issues...

k21975
Oct 19, 2009, 05:34 PM
I am having both of the issues in this thread... The original HB MKV stuttering audio and the hijacked MetaX issue.

I, of course, will try the latest HB build as others have said that it fixes the problem. For some additional info, I am converting 720p Movies from MKV to :apple:TV. I found that any of the movies that had the issue showed a 'Bit Rate' in iTunes of less than 100 kbps. Not sure if that helps anyone...

MetaX on the other hand just sucks now. :(