PDA

View Full Version : Apple's absence nibbles core at Macworld

MacBytes
Jul 13, 2004, 10:50 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple\'s absence nibbles core at Macworld (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040713115006)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

OhEsTen
Jul 13, 2004, 11:33 AM
Why is everyone bashing Apple on this one? Wasn't the problem caused because IDG announced the changed location without telling Apple? It seems to me that if they wanted to make a drastic change like that, they should have made sure they got the backing of their major player before announcing it. I don't get it. Someone help me get it...

wdlove
Jul 13, 2004, 11:47 AM
I think that he stated it very well about my feelings ans many others. "Honestly, it's sort of insulting that Apple isn't at least giving a speech or making an effort to show support to their East Coast users," said Mark Charbonneau, a computer programmer and self-described Mac lover who drove for more than an hour from Portland, Maine, to be at the conference. "It's very nice to have the show back in Boston though. New York was too expensive."

machinehien
Jul 13, 2004, 01:23 PM
Really this is a bit heavy handed, withholding all support over the issue of venue location. It's one thing to scale back support and not do a keynote if they were dissatisfied with the choice of Boston. But if Apple is really interested in supporting the Apple community at large they could have at least sent one sales rep or PR person to man a booth as a gesture of goodwill. Apple needs to realize that it's customers and third party product developers have a mind of their own and are not bound to follow Apple's corporate whims and desires. Shows a certain lack of tact. The closest social analogy I can come up with would be the guest of honor refusing to attend a party in their honor cause he/she prefers another restuarant or hall.

ITR 81
Jul 13, 2004, 02:03 PM
Really this is a bit heavy handed, withholding all support over the issue of venue location. It's one thing to scale back support and not do a keynote if they were dissatisfied with the choice of Boston. But if Apple is really interested in supporting the Apple community at large they could have at least sent one sales rep or PR person to man a booth as a gesture of goodwill. Apple needs to realize that it's customers and third party product developers have a mind of their own and are not bound to follow Apple's corporate whims and desires. Shows a certain lack of tact. The closest social analogy I can come up with would be the guest of honor refusing to attend a party in their honor cause he/she prefers another restuarant or hall.

Boo all you want but it won't change a damn thing.

Apple did not want to go to a smaller venue. Most companies rather do a show at big venue because it tends to have more people and more influnence. Sortof the same reason most big fashion shows are done in CA, NYC, and Las Vegas.

MS didn't even want to showup in Boston. The only reason they are is because IDG gave them free floor space. I wouldn't go either and neither will any of my Mac friends, because we know even if Apple did show half of the vendors wouldn't show up.

If I'm promoting my products I go for the best venues and the biggest crowds and Boston doesn't offer this.

Boston has great schools and a great Baseball team but it's not a great venue ...well unless your in punk rock band.

Some of the best venues right off my head are NYC, CA, Las Vegas, Tokyo, England, and Paris or Germany.

yamabushi
Jul 13, 2004, 02:16 PM
I think Apple should have shown up just to sell products and answer questions. Basically a mobile Apple store. They could sell product on the spot and take orders for later delivery when they run out of an item. It just takes a truck or two and a small sales staff. They could tour the country and visit all kinds of conventions and trade shows. Heck, they could even show up at state and county fairs when nothing else is going on. That way they get a great deal of exposure and offset some of their expenses through sales along the way.

bousozoku
Jul 13, 2004, 02:58 PM
Apple could have done something other than nothing. They should have been there, even with a minimum of representatives. If nothing else, they could have dumped tea into Boston Harbour in protest--everything else is in the harbour already.

I'm not sure why IDG considers Boston a good location. It's too remote for most of the eastern United States, the traffic is horrible, and I can't imagine wanting to go to Logan airport for any reason.

Apple needs to show itself, regardless.