Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seagate help

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
Hello!

background:
I have a 17" g4 titanium running OSX 10.5.7. I do not have bootcamp or parallels.

problem:
I've been given a PC "seagate freeagent- go 320 gb" drive with some video files I need to copy over to import to re-cut in FCP (they did something previously with these files using sony vegas editing software)...but this disk refuses to mount on my desktop. I can open it and see it on my ancient dell laptop (but then THAT computer won't see any of my mac lacie hard drives so I can't use it as the copy conduit). I've read through the forums of other people having problems mounting seagates...but A: I can't erase this drive I NEED the stuff on it and B: even if I wanted to when I open up disk utility it DOESN'T SHOW UP THERE EITHER.

I briefly thought about getting a brand new external HD and formatting it FAT 32 so it would show up on ancient DELL and then copying it over via that computer BUT when I looked at disk utility there was no MSDOS erase/format option just MAC OS Extended or Extended journaled etc etc..

Can anyone help me or point me in right direction?

All I want to do is either open this seagate drive on my mac or format a brand new drive that will be seen on both computers and then I'll use the PC to copy the stuff over...

Giant thanks to all in advance!

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
"BUT when I looked at disk utility there was no MSDOS erase/format option just MAC OS Extended or Extended journaled etc etc.."

There is a FAT 32 option if you're not trying to reformat the home drive. It doesn't sound like you actually had an external drive hooked up when you 'looked at Disk Utility'.

You have a Ti PB. If the Seagate is NTFS format it will give you some hassles, especially without emulation software.

One thing I do is move files via ethernet network, even to and from Linux and Windows machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.