PDA

View Full Version : Dropbox for iPhone Hits the App Store

ksmith80209
Sep 29, 2009, 04:44 PM
And it's very nice (and free). Let's you add photos to your dropbox, save files for offline use, email files, etc.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Sep 29, 2009, 04:49 PM
Cool.

I've waited for this one the last month or so since it was submitted.

Hope it can live up to my (relatively high) expectations... ;)

MacRumors
Sep 29, 2009, 07:13 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/09/29/dropbox-for-iphone-hits-the-app-store/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/09/29/201138-dropbox_1.jpg

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/09/29/201138-dropbox_2.jpg

Popular document syncing and sharing service Dropbox (http://www.getdropbox.com/) has released its much-anticipated iPhone application (http://www.getdropbox.com/iphoneapp) [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=327630330&mt=8), Free]. The application, which requires iPhone OS 3.1, offers several basic features to allow users to access their Dropbox accounts on the go.App features:

* Access your Dropbox on the go
* View your files
* Download files for offline viewing
* Take photos and videos and sync them to your Dropbox
* Share links to files in your Dropbox
* Photo galleries
* Sync downloaded files so they're up-to-dateDropbox offers three levels of service with varying amounts of storage space: Basic (2 GB, Free), Pro 50 (50 GB, $9.99/month), and Pro 100 (100 GB, $19.99/month).

Article Link: Dropbox for iPhone Hits the App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/09/29/dropbox-for-iphone-hits-the-app-store/)

Doju
Sep 29, 2009, 07:52 PM
Oh my god, finally. This has been what, a month or more in the waiting?

Downloading now. Yay Dropbox. <333

Wait, it requires 3.1? Noooo. :(

@Dev-Team: Hurry up and release a jailbreak for 3.1 3G S. GAH!

lender30
Sep 29, 2009, 07:55 PM
I use Dropbox and love it.. Will definitely help to have this on my iPhone. KUDOS

xIGmanIx
Sep 29, 2009, 07:55 PM
sweet!! downloading as we speak

Zincous
Sep 29, 2009, 08:03 PM
Why does it need 3.1? That's ridiculous.

hawaiipoolman
Sep 29, 2009, 08:07 PM

is there any way to go around this?

Compile 'em all
Sep 29, 2009, 08:12 PM

Agreed. As a dev I would really like to know why does it require 3.1.

And with all the problems surrounding 3.1, I won't be upgrading anytime soon.

theBB
Sep 29, 2009, 08:19 PM
Agreed. As a dev I would really like to know why does it require 3.1.

And with all the problems surrounding 3.1, I won't be upgrading anytime soon.
What problems?

Anyhow, it is a very well designed app. When I am viewing a file in landscape mode, it automatically hides the toolbars, nice touch.

kockgunner
Sep 29, 2009, 08:26 PM
This app is awesome. I downloaded Dropbox for Mac a when it first came out but I stopped using it. I think I'll start using it again after this app. I like how you can take a photo or video and have it automatically upload to Dropbox servers.

Question: Should I use this or Airsharing?

yoppie
Sep 29, 2009, 08:28 PM
I just installed it on my iPhone and I think it's quickly become my favorite app on my phone. It's pretty good. :)

Caliber26
Sep 29, 2009, 08:35 PM
Not to sound ignorant, but how does this service differ from Apple's MobileMe? Does it do the same thing(s), more or less? I'm a little confused but curious.

1rottenapple
Sep 29, 2009, 08:49 PM
super disappointed it requires 3.1.... oh well. love dropbox tjough... its saved my ass a school many times.

njl
Sep 29, 2009, 09:00 PM
love the app!! works flawlessly, just like dropbox!

Flhusky
Sep 29, 2009, 09:02 PM
The dev team @ Dropbox has been working on this for awhile. I still wish they'd set up a donation button, esp. now that the iPhone app is out.

Xibalba
Sep 29, 2009, 09:10 PM
I just installed it on my iPhone and I think it's quickly become my favorite app on my phone. It's pretty good. :)

agree, dropbox is spectacular...free off-site backup/sync that is incredibly speedy...and i have tried numerous other products...dropbox excels...

Small White Car
Sep 29, 2009, 09:35 PM
Not to sound ignorant, but how does this service differ from Apple's MobileMe? Does it do the same thing(s), more or less? I'm a little confused but curious.

It works WAY faster.

I pay for MobileMe (for other reasons) and even I use Dropbox instead of my iDisk!

I'm very excited about this app.

cazlar
Sep 29, 2009, 10:37 PM
I've heard of dropbox before but never tried it. I just installed the desktop app (onto a windows machine) - that seems very integrated and polished. Unfortunately, for my iPhone, I'm still on 3.0 (mostly because I'm JB and need to find a chunk of time to upgrade to 3.1 just in case something goes wrong), so can't try the iPhone app yet until I upgrade.

I used the referral above (thanks Doju) and got the extra 256MB space. Once you do a few extra things (install it, upload something, set up a share, etc) they also give you an extra 256MB on top of that for being a "Guru", so I'm up to 2.5GB now.

cazlar
Sep 29, 2009, 10:45 PM
followed your link to get the extra 250 mb and did not work

Mine only showed up when I'd downloaded the app (PC in my case) and linked it to my account.

ltldrummerboy
Sep 29, 2009, 11:02 PM
This has been a long time coming. I've been using Dropbox since the private beta and it's only gotten better since then. This is one of the best apps out there.

X5-452
Sep 30, 2009, 01:12 AM

Thanks for that! I never even knew that something like dropbox existed until this news post. I appreciate the extra space. This will definitely help streamline my home/work/school experience.

nikesp23
Sep 30, 2009, 01:28 AM
You get minimum 2gb for free. I've been using dropbox for over a month now. The speed is good, the interface is super simple, and it works as advertised. And, the price is right. Click here (https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTIwMjk0NzY5) to get 250mb extra space right off the bat.

dZp
Sep 30, 2009, 03:09 AM
http://forums.getdropbox.com/topic.php?id=12893&replies=28#post-81772

--

This app is really great. Been using dropbox for a few weeks already and it's made keeping my stuff organised much easier.
I love the bonus 250MB on top of the free 2GB.

M.a.r.k.
Sep 30, 2009, 03:33 AM
yeah it looks nice and works, but still some features are missing
- upload pictures to any directory you like
- also pictures are not uploaded in full resolution :/
- search does not work in subfolder

but i really like how you can share files through email that are not in the public folder

Dias
Sep 30, 2009, 04:50 AM
Yep, nice app indeed. So far I like it, I just wish it was password protected.

jamin100
Sep 30, 2009, 04:54 AM
lol.. I wonder how many more referral links will be posted here!

seriously though this is a fantastic service!

Cant wait for a blackberry version!

PlaceofDis
Sep 30, 2009, 04:56 AM
i've been waiting for this app since they announced it was submitted. what a ridiculous turn around time at Apple.

now only if i could favorite whole folders rather than individual files.

mooblie
Sep 30, 2009, 05:27 AM
Thanks, Mart*n Ir*in, you know who you are!

What a great viral promotion they have!

Angelo921
Sep 30, 2009, 06:15 AM
does it allow you to back up your contacts on your iphone also?

Shasterball
Sep 30, 2009, 07:22 AM
This app and web service are awesome. It is snappy and efficient. As soon as I found out about it, I dumped my sluggish MobileMe account...

luv2hum
Sep 30, 2009, 09:53 AM
im up to 3.25gb of space for completing a tour online and refferals.....how much more free space can i get???

optophobia
Sep 30, 2009, 10:46 AM
im up to 3.25gb of space for completing a tour online and refferals.....how much more free space can i get???

How do you get more space for the tour ?

luv2hum
Sep 30, 2009, 10:49 AM
How do you get more space for the tour ?

when i logged in, there was a box on the right which said i could get 250 mb more space if i did a few things, like log on, create an account, and put up a file etc...the only other thing i never did was take the tour, and once i did that i got more space. happy to see that i know have 3.25 which is more than idisk...

Tafkas
Sep 30, 2009, 10:51 AM
This is for 3.1 (or later) only. But, it is definitely worth to switch to 3.1 if necessary only to get Dropbox working. It is really an excellent app. Congratulations to the Dropbox team!

optophobia
Sep 30, 2009, 10:57 AM
.... it is definitely worth to switch to 3.1 if necessary only to get Dropbox working. .....

And lose JB, tethering, etc...... Um no not quite worth it.

sishaw
Sep 30, 2009, 11:05 AM
Just want to make sure I'm reading the Dropbox FAQ correctly. If I'm working on a text document in Word or Open Office on mulitple computers, and making revisions, and all of the computers have Dropbox, Dropbox can automagically sync the document to the latest revision on all the computers?

Is that correct?

stlredbird
Sep 30, 2009, 11:55 AM
Liking it so far but an early problem I have with it is that you can't zoom into images. Hopefully they can change that in the next update.

edit: well i guess you can zoom into pdfs but not jpegs. weird.

FearlessFreep
Sep 30, 2009, 12:02 PM
Just tried this out and I can say that I'll be deleting AirSharing from my phone shortly. This does the same things and so much easier. As for the application itself, it's very well designed and seems to work well. I'm a bit surprised that Apple allowed this when it is in essence in competition with the file sharing functions of MobileMe.

MobileMe=$99
Dropbox=FREE

PlaceofDis
Sep 30, 2009, 12:05 PM
Just want to make sure I'm reading the Dropbox FAQ correctly. If I'm working on a text document in Word or Open Office on mulitple computers, and making revisions, and all of the computers have Dropbox, Dropbox can automagically sync the document to the latest revision on all the computers?

Is that correct?

whenever you save the document Dropbox will sync it to the other computers, yes. live editing obviously isn't supported afaik.

dZp
Sep 30, 2009, 12:27 PM
For anyone signing up for a Dropbox account, you can get a bonus 250mb storage for free by using referral links.

hanpa
Sep 30, 2009, 12:31 PM
Dropbox is so easy to use on a desktop, I use it on Windows, Mac, Linux and on the iPhone. The approval of the app took very long time but it was worth the while and I've signed up for Dropbox Pro 50. Download to the iPhone of favorites for off-line use even works on 3G, I really didn't expect this, thought that Apple would not approve this because of competition with MonopoleMe or risk of network congestion. Or "bad user experience", "user confusion" etc. Anyway, Apple seems to have changed their policy somewhat and this is very promising!

OrangeCuse44
Sep 30, 2009, 12:37 PM
I, for one, will no longer be syncing photos to my iPhone. Consider storage free'd up, this is great.

sishaw
Sep 30, 2009, 12:53 PM
whenever you save the document Dropbox will sync it to the other computers, yes. live editing obviously isn't supported afaik.

Thanks! That makes Dropbox very potentially appealing. I'm going to have to try it out on my computers, regardless of whether I get the iPhone app.

TheMechanic
Sep 30, 2009, 12:58 PM
I thought long and hard about buying mobileme but I figured that I would only use it for iDisk. Thus Dropbox is the ideal solution! And its free!

Doju
Sep 30, 2009, 01:09 PM
Great services, judging by the link that guy gave out a version for those of us without 3.1 will be released soon. I hope either that or a 3.1 jailbreak comes out soon.

Thanks for the referrals guys. I now have 5.25GB of free space (the maximum possible on a free account) instead of the normal 2GB. :)

hanpa
Sep 30, 2009, 01:45 PM

Wait, it requires 3.1? Noooo. :(

@Dev-Team: Hurry up and release a jailbreak for 3.1 3G S. GAH!

This seems to be Apple's new way of handling jailbreaking. Killer apps like Dropbox will require the newest iPhone OS version in combination with new OS upgrades. I would be much better if they would remove the most common reasons for jailbreaking - 3G cellular restrictions not valid outside of the US and adding the possibility for third-party applications to execute in the background, at least music apps like Spotify. I never use the built-in iPod app so why can't I execute Spotify in the background instead?

JohnnyD31
Sep 30, 2009, 07:13 PM
Just signed up for this bc of the iPhone app. Love it!!!

How are y'all using it on your desktop as far as files you are working on and files you want always to be able to access from the Dropbox website?

eastercat
Oct 1, 2009, 12:22 AM
I still like having tethering, so no dropbox app for me. :(

crazyxzer0
Oct 1, 2009, 12:45 AM
love this app. I use the dropbox for syncing with my senior project team members. I just wish there is a way to sort by date modified...

Rayfire
Oct 2, 2009, 12:04 AM
Wow this app is neat, really acts like MobileMe and the best part it's FREE!
Now I deleted my Air Sharing and no more MobileMe trial, I've been waiting for something like this one too!

Xibalba
Oct 3, 2009, 05:52 AM
Yep, nice app indeed. So far I like it, I just wish it was password protected.

i agree - mint.com created a brief password entry for their app and it is very quick and allows for easy entry. i would love for dropbox and other programs that manage sensitive data to do the same.

ashwin911
Oct 3, 2009, 08:10 AM
Has anyone tried to stream a movie from your dropbox? I tried streaming an mp3 and it works. I havn't got time to convert a movie to mp4 yet

penyekz
Oct 3, 2009, 11:51 PM
Its 2GB free and if you complete 5 steps of taking tour, share folder, upload files, install dropbox in your other computers, you get another 250mb.

You can refer a friend and each of you get 250mb up to a max of 3GB.

ntrigue
Oct 4, 2009, 03:40 PM
Is there any offline abilities? I was disappointed that recent files weren't cached.

organerito
Oct 5, 2009, 10:17 PM
I love it too. I have a lot of my doc, xl and pdf documents in my dropbox folder. I sync the same dropbox folder with documents to go. Whenever I make a change on my iphone, it syncs my local files and dropbox online.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Oct 6, 2009, 01:16 AM
Is there any offline abilities?Yes (https://www.getdropbox.com/iphoneapp):
Download files for offline viewing

From memory: You tag files as favourites and it downloads it to the iPhone and keeps them there for offline viewing.

ntrigue
Oct 6, 2009, 03:16 AM
Yes (https://www.getdropbox.com/iphoneapp):

From memory: You tag files as favourites and it downloads it to the iPhone and keeps them there for offline viewing.

Thank you. I have a small selection of files that I need to view offline today and do not consider them to be favorites. I'll humor the developer and pretend they're favorites in order to read them offline.