PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Two Macs Running OSX

matthewr
Jul 13, 2004, 01:38 PM
My new 15 inch PB is somewhere in the skies between Shanghai and Memphis right now. I had a quick question about getting all the data off my old Mac. The old computer is a 400 Mhz Pismo running 10.2. It does not have firewire, so the option of using it as a target disc does not apply. I've heard that with 10.3, you can just use a standard ethernet cable to network two Macs together (as opposed to buying one of the special ones that will patch together the two computers into a local network). Do both computers need to be running 10.3, or will it work if I just have one that is running 10.3? I have a iPhoto library that is around 5GB in size, so I don't want to resort to burning CDs to copy everything over.

Also, does anyone know if the 256 MB ram chip in my Pismo will work in my new computer?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

MacsRgr8
Jul 13, 2004, 02:04 PM
Not having to use a cross-over cable has to do with the "newer" ethernet cards, which can "auto sense".
So, your new PowerBook should be able to "auto sense", and thus simply connecting the two via an ethernet cable should do the trick.
Just turn on "Personal File Sharing", in Sys Prefs on one of the Macs, and connect to it using the "Go" "Connect to Server.." command in the Finder.
Don't assign any IP addresses, and Rendezvous will help you out.

RAM will not fit.
The RAM in the new PowerBook = PC2700 DDR SDRAM
Your 400 Mhz RAM = 10 ns SO-DIMM

Good luck!

matthewr
Jul 13, 2004, 02:56 PM
Great. Thanks for the speedy response I'm glad to not have to buy a crossover cable. I didn't think the memory would work, but I thought I'd just double check.

zakee00
Jul 13, 2004, 03:44 PM
good luck, and congrats on your new pb....they are great :D