Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HardHatMac9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
Friends,

I have been having some issues with my wireless router, which are not related to my service provider. Specifically, my connection is not always constant and some pages/services can not be run when I am connected to my router wirelessly.

1. Some pages: Newyorktimes.com, for example, do not open up, or take a very, very long time to open.
2. Some services such as querying the CDDB database on iTunes will not work when I am connected wirelessly.

I am using a D-Link DI-614+ wireless router, and I am the only one connected to the wireless network.

Any suggestions or insight will be greatly appreciated, as always.

micsaund

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2004
Colorado, USA
I finally had to remove my trusty old DI-614+ from service when I got the PB15. For some reason, it just disconnected and gave me random problems, sometimes every few minutes and other times, I could go longer.

I was using WEP and suspect that it had something to do with that, as the AirPort config would always ask for a "password" to access the network (the same password box that I put the PSK into with the new router) and entering the WEP code (the only "password" in the setup) didn't work. Somehow, I coaxed it onto the network, but it was never reliable.

Thus, I quickly went to WorstBuy and bought a LinkSys DWL-54GS (I've been wanting the better WPA encryption for some time anyway so I can stop worrying about neighbors cracking my WEP) and had it online with PSK WPA within minutes. Since then, I've not had any disconnects, SMB problems, or anything (other than signal strength due to the PB's aluminum case and the router being in my basement). BTW, there is a hacked firmware for the LinkSys DWL-54G(S) that has lots of extra features and (this is the one for me) it lets you boost the output power of the router (from 28mw to 84mw) which solved my reception issues mostly.

FYI: the hacked firmware for this router is at: http://www.sveasoft.com/modules/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=6 for anyone wanting to play with it. I'm using the latest Satori 4.0 release and it works great so far. As with any hacked firmwares, use it at your own risk of course.

Anyway, that may or may not help you. If you're using WEP, try disabling it temporarily and see if it helps you.

Mike

HardHatMac9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
Mike,

The issues you describe are issues that I was experiencing as well. I did remove the WEP and it didn't really have a very large impact. The Techsupport at D-Link tried to convince me that the WEP really isn't necessary, however I feel that it is necessary.

It seems I might need to purchase a new router. Perhaps the AirPort Express. I wonder if it is going to have good signal strength, speed, and security (i.e. a WEP option).

Any other ideas or suggestions?

micsaund

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2004
Colorado, USA
otoloui said:
Mike,

The issues you describe are issues that I was experiencing as well. I did remove the WEP and it didn't really have a very large impact. The Techsupport at D-Link tried to convince me that the WEP really isn't necessary, however I feel that it is necessary.

It seems I might need to purchase a new router. Perhaps the AirPort Express. I wonder if it is going to have good signal strength, speed, and security (i.e. a WEP option).

Any other ideas or suggestions?

The router that I listed above uses WPA, which is significantly improved over WEP, and I know it works OK, so that would be one choice. BTW, WPA uses TKI (Temporal Key Interchange) where the router/clients change WEP keys automatically on a timed-basis and it's totally transparent to you. No longer do I feel the need to rotate my WEP keys on a schedule just to keep the neighbors from harvesting my packets and nosing around my network ;)

Plus, the Linksys 54G/GS are hackable with some Linux-based firmware which lets you modify the transmit power -- that's the main reason I installed the firmware. My router is in the basement and I was getting spotty signal strength but after adjusting the power in the firmware (from 28mW to 84mW), my reception has improved considerably. I'm pleased, even though I was not planning to (also) buy a router with the PB.

Mike

kaylee

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2004
Australia
Not sure if this will help at all, but for a lot of third-party (non-Apple) wireless routers, instead of putting your password/passphrase that you used to create your keys into WEP Password, you should put the actual key generated from your password/passphrase into the WEP 40/128bit Hex option (it should be 26 hexadecimal characters which can be 0 through 9 and A through F).

Also have you tried resetting the router? This can fix up a lot of problems. Your manual should tell you how to if you don't know.

For more security beyond WEP alone, try turning off broadcasting of SSID, limit network to certain MAC addresses (this is the hardware address of your airport card/ethernet card and looks something like 00:00:00:00:00:00 where the zeroes can actually be 0 through 9 or A through F).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.