Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
I want to buy windows 7 to use for bootcamp.

I saw the student deal where I can get 7 professional for only $29.99, but I have to download it.

An additional $13 to get a disc.

If I downloaded it how would I install it on my Mac via bootcamp? Could I just burn it on a single layer DVD-R or is the file too large?

Thanks!

valvehead

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
USA

I have to laugh when I see that domain name. I immediately think of the μA741, a very archaic operational amplifier whose specs are horrible by today's standards. Win 741 indeed! :p

As far as Windows 7 is concerned I'm interested in this deal, especially since they are offering Professional for the same price. I'm holding off until my university's store announces prices for Windows 7. I'll chose whichever has the better deal.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
It's really not explicit that it is an upgrade, but there are plenty of indications along the way.

The FAQ at win741.com says:

Before you take advantage of this offer, please check the PC you want to upgrade.

Then if you follow the links to buy at digitalriver you end up at this page:

http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/en_US/DisplayHomePage

Which tells you to run the windows upgrade advisor to figure out which version to get. (Hard to do if you are not already running Windows).

Following the link to the FAQ from here and "When will my pre-ordered product be available?" leads to:

http://drh.img.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/ContentTheme/pbPage.preorder

Windows 7 Pre-order Information

Through the Digital River Windows 7 Offer, Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade and Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade will be available for students to pre-order starting on September 17th, 2009.

Students who place a pre-order will receive an email on October 22nd, 2009 which will contain a link to access the download of their product. For those who purchased the Backup DVD, the disks will be shipped around this date and a separate shipping confirmation email will be sent confirming the shipment.

Once a pre-order has been placed, students may see a pre-authorization on their credit card records, this is not a charge, it will drop off in time according to their bank’s policy regarding pre-authorizations.

Students who place a pre-order will not be charged until their order is available for download, at that time the charge will appear as DRI*Windows7US on their credit card billing statement.

NOTE: That doesn't mean you won't be able to install it, since the only way to install if you have XP is a clean install. It just means that you aren't quite in compliance with the EULA of the upgrade license if you don't already have a full copy of Windows somewhere.

B

dukeofism

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
As far as Windows 7 is concerned I'm interested in this deal, especially since they are offering Professional for the same price. I'm holding off until my university's store announces prices for Windows 7. I'll chose whichever has the better deal.

That's a great idea. My University has a special contract with MS, so I already have my copy of Windows 7 in my hands as we speak

UnInvincible

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
As a Computer Engineering student at my University, I'm automatically entered into MSDNAA, so I got Windows 7 Professional for absolutely free. Also, Windows Vista, XP, and TONS of other Microsoft products.

I also technically have two copies of Windows 7 I can install, since they give me different codes for the 32 and 64 bit versions.

zenoran

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
As a Computer Engineering student at my University, I'm automatically entered into MSDNAA, so I got Windows 7 Professional for absolutely free. Also, Windows Vista, XP, and TONS of other Microsoft products.

I also technically have two copies of Windows 7 I can install, since they give me different codes for the 32 and 64 bit versions.

yup it's nice they give u a key for each version... we had a chinese one too so I got a total of 3... it's nice because you can only use the key for 1 hardware profile.. tested that :)

BradenG

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2009
Wisconsin
It's really not explicit that it is an upgrade, but there are plenty of indications along the way.

The FAQ at win741.com says:

Then if you follow the links to buy at digitalriver you end up at this page:

http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/en_US/DisplayHomePage

Which tells you to run the windows upgrade advisor to figure out which version to get. (Hard to do if you are not already running Windows).

Following the link to the FAQ from here and "When will my pre-ordered product be available?" leads to:

http://drh.img.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/ContentTheme/pbPage.preorder

NOTE: That doesn't mean you won't be able to install it, since the only way to install if you have XP is a clean install. It just means that you aren't quite in compliance with the EULA of the upgrade license if you don't already have a full copy of Windows somewhere.

B

Ahhh, thanks for clearing that up.

nokitman

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2009
Is the $29.99 windows 7 deal for upgrade only or it that a full retail?
so could i use that for a new partition on bootcamp without anything installed first?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Is the $29.99 windows 7 deal for upgrade only or it that a full retail?
so could i use that for a new partition on bootcamp without anything installed first?

As I posted above every indication is that the $29 deal equivalent to a retail upgrade, but you should still be able to perform a clean install with the disc. (It is entirely possible to perform a clean install with Vista upgrade media, it's just a two step process. Install Vista without the product key i.e a trial, then upgrade from the trial install. If you don't actually have a license to upgrade from, you would be violating the EULA but there is no technological prohibition on that).

B

innocent114

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2009
Just a fair warning...make sure you have tons of resources, because VMWare can only handle so much, lol.

My fans CHURN when I boot up anything Windows on my Mac. The $29 is totally an upgrade fee though.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
From: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows

(This is a page linked to on the Upgrade $29.99 deal site)

Installing a custom version of Windows. Choose Custom to completely replace your current operating system, or to install Windows on a specific drive or partition that you select. You can also use Custom if your computer doesn't have an operating system, or if you want to set up a multiboot system on your computer. For more information about setting up a multiboot system, see Install more than one operating system (multiboot).

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
From: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows

(This is a page linked to on the Upgrade $29.99 deal site)

Good find. However it still doesn't explicitly negate that the $29 is an upgrade and thus requires a previous license of windows to qualify for the pricing. However, it confirms my assertion that you should be able to install from the provided media to a blank HDD.

Unfortunately "can" and "may, as per the EULA" are still two different things.

It's not that different from the hackintosh scene. It is apparently quite possible to install direct from the $29 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD, on non-Apple hardware or on an Intel Mac running Tiger, but that doesn't mean that Apple has licensed it to you for either scenario.

As in those two other scenarios, there is probably nothing stopping you from going beyond the rights granted to you in the EULA of the $29 student deal, just be aware that that is most likely what you are doing.

This story is timely: Ballmer admits Microsoft licensing is too complicated.

http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/10/05/156202/Ballmer-Dont-Expect-Simpler-Licensing-Soon

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.