PDA

View Full Version : Some questions on a Titanium Powerbook, and maybe some wisdom.

Dr.Pants
Sep 30, 2009, 08:10 PM
In about a week or so I was considering posting some WTB threads (on different forums) about purchasing a Titanium powerbook. The model I'm interested in is the last one (Antimony?) that would either have an 867 Mhz or 1 Ghz CPU. But, oddly enough, I have some questions (aside from how much I could expect to get it for).

1. Screen is the largest component here. What's the panel's specifications? Is it a *VA? If it is a TN, then my interest wanes. Is there a dreaded panel lottory?

2. How much memory can the memory controller on the powerbook in question handle? I understand its PC 133 SDRAM... I assume in SO-DIMMs as well.

3. Wireless (I'm assuming this is airport); what sort of wireless connectivity can I expect from it? If its nothing too gnarly, my university has LAN ports in every room.

4. How much could I expect to pay for one of these? I know they go for ludicrous amounts for their age still.... I was hoping to nab one of these for $250 max in the end. Is this overpriced/reasonable?

5. Flash for Mac is not a wonderful thing. However, for "streaming" media I've been told that I could save it as a .flv file... Would playing it in something like VLC be a better deal then through a browser?

6. Any other pearls of wisdom are very appreciated.

And yes, I would be using this as my machine for on-campus work (since my Precision was almost stolen recently). Mainly for reading/writing/email/etc. For powerful on-the-go-stuff my Precision will suffice, but I know when I need it, which generally is not at university.

But my main question (which is why this thread is here and not in the buying tips/discussion) is about the screen.

fun173
Sep 30, 2009, 08:35 PM
1. idk much about that question but its a tft

2. its pc 133 so dimm up to 1 Gb

3. The airport will work well if the router is like less than 100 feet away

4. 250 seems reasonable

5. no idea sorry

6. id advise getting an aluminum powerbook because the model you want is known to have hinge issues which involve the hinges snapping so if i were in ur position id try to snag an aluminum powerbook

Scarlet Fever
Sep 30, 2009, 08:52 PM
Just so you know, you'll be hard pressed to find a notebook with anything other than a TN panel. If colour accuracy really is important, you shouldn't be buying old displays anyway.

Dr.Pants
Oct 1, 2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks Scarlet Fever and Fun173.

Just so you know, you'll be hard pressed to find a notebook with anything other than a TN panel. If colour accuracy really is important, you shouldn't be buying old displays anyway.

Heh. Sorry, its not-so-much I care about colour accuracy as I care about dithering. I'm biased against monitors that dither.

However, it may not be as big of a thing as I'm making it. Good point, though

6. id advise getting an aluminum powerbook because the model you want is known to have hinge issues which involve the hinges snapping so if i were in ur position id try to snag an aluminum powerbook

Probably another good idea - Once again, considering, but I'm biased for a Titanium :) Unless the hinge issues were really that widespread and bad.

thejadedmonkey
Oct 1, 2009, 07:25 PM
I'm pretty sure all monitors are only 6-bit and use dithering to emulate 8-bit colors. Even the newest MBP's only have 6-bit monitors and use dithering techniques to show the 8-bit color gamut.