Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
I love adding my two cents to influence the graphs that come out off MacPolls results. What happened to having a new poll every weekday??

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
jimjiminyjim said:
I love adding my two cents to influence the graphs that come out off MacPolls results. What happened to having a new poll every weekday??

Heh, I considered posting a thread about this, so it looks like I'm not the only one who's wondering this. I can't remember the last time there was a brand new poll every single weekday. Personally, I'm fine with having a new poll every WEEK, but at least change the tagline! It just looks like they're not serious.

...personally, when MacPolls came out I was always skeptical that they could maintain a new poll every single day. That's a tall order for such a specialized interest.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
It seems like they can't even get a new question out every week now, even. You wouldn't think it would be that hard with all this iPod speculation, G5 iMac's being confirmed, etc.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
it would be great if we could have a new poll every day, but i think every week would work better, that way the thread/discussion could become a little bit more developed.

although we have to realize that Arn and the mods are probably really busy and might not have the time to deal with MacPolls right now or whatever

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
crazzyeddie said:
It seems like they can't even get a new question out every week now, even. You wouldn't think it would be that hard with all this iPod speculation, G5 iMac's being confirmed, etc.

Well, you know, arn's a busy man.

And in case you didn't know, MacPolls usually relies on members to submit poll ideas -- it's possible that nobody has come up with any good ideas lately!

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
szark said:
Well, you know, arn's a busy man.

And in case you didn't know, MacPolls usually relies on members to submit poll ideas -- it's possible that nobody has come up with any good ideas lately!

At this point I'd be taking what I can get! IMO, a so-so poll is better than no poll.

If MacPolls is indeed relying on user submissions, they should make that more clear, not just a little blurb about "have an idea? submit your poll ideas to..."

One new poll a week is very doable. There's at least one poll-worthy news item every week.

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
I just had a quick look to see if there is an option to have new threads include a poll... I was thinking of starting a poll in the community section - a community run poll. Alas, it is not possible for mere mortals.

edit: check out the DVI vs. ADC last two pages. People are starting their own polls! https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/77287/
(starts at post 59 or so)

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
A new poll has presented itself... I hope it marks the end of a holiday and the beginning of a continuous feed to my macrumors/macpolls addiction.

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
jimjiminyjim said:
A new poll has presented itself... I hope it marks the end of a holiday and the beginning of a continuous feed to my macrumors/macpolls addiction.
Umm, seems your prediction didn't pan out. Same poll, day after day.... Ah the life of a macrumors junkie...

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Yeah, I've always sort of chuckled at that, too. You know what? I'm going to volunteer to help in the MacPolls section of this site. Arn, if you're reading, I'm volunteering. Show me what to do and I'm on it. I mean, it can't be that hard, can it? There's probably a form or something to fill in.

Anyway, my first item of business would be to change that tag line to "A New Poll Every Few Days!" That way, if I got busy, people wouldn't be breathing down my neck.

Really, though, it's probably from a lack of member input. I'm sure Arn is getting a little writer's block in the polls department after doing it for X-number of years.

Squire

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
If memory serves, MacPolls isn't *that* old... and we used to be able to make our own polls once upon a time.

Often times, the "new poll every weekday" works against me! If I forget to visit MacRumors.com for a day, odds are there was a new poll, one that I wanted to participate in, and the day after that they're already onto a new poll and the old one has been closed.

So, I humbly propose having one new poll every Monday... kinda like Strong Bad Emails :D (back when they used to be updated weekly... okay, bad example... :eek: )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.