PDA

View Full Version : Apple nixes third party Software Update plans

MacBytes
Jul 13, 2004, 09:16 PM
Category: Apple Services
Link: Apple nixes third party Software Update plans (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040713221648)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Nermal
Jul 13, 2004, 09:51 PM
In somewhat related news, an Apple source claims that Apple would love to include MSN Messenger support with iChat, but will not do so until Microsoft declares the MSN Messenger protocol an open standard.

In other words, it'll never happen. It's a shame.

mainstreetmark
Jul 13, 2004, 09:56 PM
Not at all. Apple's position makes perfect sense. Their product installs crappy software from other developers, and Apple's got to saddle the complaints.

There are already a handful of third-party software update programs, like Version Tracker, which already handle this functionality.

As the recent Konfabulator battle showed, not every technology needs to be handled as a part of the OS.

jsw
Jul 13, 2004, 10:10 PM
I think the "shame" was lack of MSN Messenger <-> iChat support. To that, I agree. Anyone new we could chat with would be a plus.

I agree that 3rd party Software Update would be a fiasco.

iMeowbot
Jul 13, 2004, 11:27 PM
No big deal. The OS already includes tools that would make auto-updates trivial to implement. Third parties have already figured this out, and many have "check for updates" in their menus now. But, where so many of them do this in a half-baked way (just send you to a Web page and let you figure out what install manually) it's not a surprise that Apple wouldn't see much value in providing yet another hook.

Stella
Jul 14, 2004, 12:04 AM
In somewhat related news, an Apple source claims that Apple would love to include MSN Messenger support with iChat, but will not do so until Microsoft declares the MSN Messenger protocol an open standard.

-------

Apple should implement ICQ protocol... ICQ is used by a huge amount of people. Yes, you can comunicate with ICQ users with AOL and vice-versa,but you need the latest AOL / ICQ software... other clients like Fire do not support this yet.