Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
My 17" Powerbook has developed a nasty habit of occasionally locking up. I usually just ignore it, but since it happened twice in 2 days, I thought I'd post.

The mouse and caps-lock keys still work.
It seems like I always run iTunes during this time
I may also have been running Word both times
It usually runs between 125º and 129º.
The most recent lockup was 125º
I never reboot. I have probably asked it to shut down like 5 times in 9 months.
The system logs are predictably empty.
MenuMeters always shows that the harddrive is "reading".
Thinking this may be hardware related, I have a MX900 mouse and a SprintPCS Merlin card.

Advise?

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Run all software updates and repair permissions.

You may also want to start from a CD and check the hard drive with disk utility.

Do you have enough RAM? If so, have you tried to remove the extra RAM? RAM can cause lots of problems. My old DP 1.25 was flawless, until I installed some Kingstone ValueRam. Within an hour I had 2 Kernel Panics and 3 or 4 application crashes. I pulled that RAM and all problems were fixed.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Well, I repaired permissions, and it happened again a few minutes ago.

Was running iTunes. Was not running word or any of that. CPU temp was 126. MenuMeters again showed it was reading the drive.

For the second time in this adventure, iTunes thought it had to re-import the "iTunes Music Library.xml" - a scarry proposition.

Perhaps it's time to back everything up, eh? I'm beginning to think it's the drive itself somehow getting stuck.

Toeknee

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Chip NoVaMac said:
Or did you add RAM? If you have two modules in there you may want to try each one solo if the above suggestion does not work.

Actually this is gonna sound kinda crazy but i got another stick of 512mb and a while back and i had the same problem. My computer kept freezing up and i was getting the gray screen. SO I swtiched around the RAM modules and started up my PB again. Since then my computer hasnt locked up or anything. Give it a try before punting.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
It did it again. The first time since I posted this thread.

I was running iTunes. My sister had just tried to connect via rendezvous.

After reboot, iTunes once again attempted to rebuild my music library, but only managed to picked up about half of my 6000 songs. Luckily, I bought a backup drive the day before, so my iTunes Music Library document was freshly backed up and I only "lost" just the songs I ripped that day.

After reboot, iTunes burped an error on syncing one of the songs to the iPod. In fact, it wouldn't even play that song without the application (not the whole OS) locking up, so after 5 minutes of pressing "Pause", I finally got it to pause long enough to get control and delete the bastard song.

So, perhaps, these lockups were merely that one corrupted song. Dunno why it would cause the whole OS to "freeze", unless it was locking up at some read-from-disk level or something.

Anyways, is there a good way to compare my iTunes music with what's in iTunes' own music directory? I think I may be missing a small number of songs. They're probably in the directory, but not in the XML.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Toeknee said:
Actually this is gonna sound kinda crazy but i got another stick of 512mb and a while back and i had the same problem. My computer kept freezing up and i was getting the gray screen. SO I swtiched around the RAM modules and started up my PB again. Since then my computer hasnt locked up or anything. Give it a try before punting.

Mainstreetmark, can you tell us about your RAM? Apple can be particular from their own website, and from the posts here.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
try backing up all your data and then reformate and do a clean install of the OS. There could be something wrong with the install of the OS it self

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
lol, I generally tell iTunes to copy all my music to it's directory. Noone ever needs to view a song in the Finder. That's just ludicrous.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I'm using 0.5G of factory installed RAM, and an additional 0.5G of me installed ram from Apple.

I locked up again. iTunes was once again running, and once again had to re-import all it's songs. I'm getting frustrated.

I haven't tried re-seating the RAM or anything, but I did boot from a CD and verify the disk. Is there any RAM verifying tools out there?

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
Since it was in your subject

I don't think PC's lock up any more. I use about a dozen between work, school, and home, and not one has ever locked up. <shrug>

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
mainstreetmark said:
Repair Permissions, the magical snake oil of OSX? Of course.

***** BZZZZZZZ *****​

Repair file system != repair permissions

I'm talking fsck or Disk Repair booted from an installer CD.
Better yet, a healthy dose of DiskWarrior or TechToolPro.

And I completely agree that Reparing Permissions is snake oil. Completely.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Ah fudge. Sorry, I missed that. I find it quite strange that it's always happening with iTunes. Got any iTunes plug-ins?

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I think it always crashes with iTunes, due to the fact that iTunes is always running. BUT, it does usually have to rebuild itself, annoyingly.

(All my "Date Added"s are today.)

steely

macrumors member
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/70615/

Your problem seems very similar to the one I was having a little while ago, although your mouse seems to be more responsive than mine. In any case, defragging with Norton (or DiskWarrior) did the trick for me.

Also, it should be noted that booting from the OS X disk and running the AHT did nothing for me. mainstreetmark, I wasn't sure if this was what you meant by booting from a CD and verifying the disk.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I'll let this run longer when I leave tonight:

Memtest Version 2.95
(C) 2004 Tony Scaminaci <friskythecat@sbcglobal.net>
Version 2 (C) 1999 Charles Cazabon <memtest@discworld.dyndns.org>
Original v.1 (C) 1999 Simon Kirby <sim@stormix.com> <sim@neato.org>

Current limits:
RLIMIT_RSS 0xffffffff
RLIMIT_VMEM 0xffffffff
Raising limits...
Allocated 54185984 bytes...trying mlock...success. Starting tests...

Testing 54185984 bytes at 0x02008000 (0 bytes lost to page alignment).

Run 1:
Test 1: Stuck Address: Testing...Passed.
Test 2: Random value: Setting...Testing...Passed.
Test 3: XOR comparison: Setting...Testing...Passed.
Test 4: SUB comparison: Setting...Testing...Passed.
Test 5: MUL comparison: Setting...Testing...Passed.
Test 6: DIV comparison: Setting...Testing...Passed.
Test 7: OR comparison: Setting...Testing...Passed.
Test 8: AND comparison: Setting...Testing...Passed.
Test 9: Sequential Increment: Setting...Testing...Passed.
Test 10: Solid Bits: Testing...Passed.
Test 11: Block Sequential: Testing...Passed.
Test 12: Checkerboard: Testing...Passed.
Test 13: Bit Spread: Testing...Passed.
Test 14: Bit Flip: Testing...Passed.
Test 15: Walking Ones: Testing...Passed.
Test 16: Walking Zeroes: Testing...Passed.
Run 1 completed in 352 seconds (0 tests showed errors).
munlock'ed memory.
1 runs completed. 0 errors detected. Total runtime: 352 seconds.

Exiting...

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I believe I read recently somewhere that someone had a corrupted mp3/audio file in their iTunes library that was doing this.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
7on said:
I believe I read recently somewhere that someone had a corrupted mp3/audio file in their iTunes library that was doing this.

Really? That'd be a serious bug if a corrupted audio file could crash the OS.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
The majority of my lockups occur when playing UT2K4 online which tends to lock if I hit two keys at once that aren't movement related or shooting. Very annoying. Option+Apple+Escape hit a HALF DOZEN TIMES gets me out...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.