PDA

View Full Version : Closing Microsoft....?

MacBytes
Jul 13, 2004, 11:51 PM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Closing Microsoft....? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040714005125)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Stella
Jul 14, 2004, 12:20 AM
The closure of microsoft would be one of the best things that could happen in the computing world. There could again be a level playing field, with innovation returning, like there was up to around the mid 90s...

The world could soon adopt open standards for word processing (that XML Document initiative that was talked about), graphics, synchronization - syncML (supported many many companies, except microsoft), the opensourcing of Java - which Sun may do... and of course, the greater adoption of Linux and Apple. You'd get greater compatibility between OSes - since they would be now based upon what proper OSes should be based upon - *Nix, and not fudged together windows ****e.

Phones: The world doesn't require MS bloatware.. the world could adopt (and will adopt regardless) Symbian and Java platforms - both support very low powered processors and minimum memory - unlike ms Stinker.

The business world and home users will soon adapt to live after microsoft - and they'd be far better off for it. micrsoft do not innovate - they never have done, and never will do - instead they continously choke it.

However, do I think the author has been smoking something to suggest that microsoft is about to close...

kronos2611
Jul 14, 2004, 02:44 AM
It does seem more than a bit unlikely that Microsoft will end any time soon. After all without Gates or his followers Microsoft will still continue, maybe not in quite the same form, not quite the same force but it will continue. After all, Steve Jobs left Apple (well was pushed out) in the 80's as did many others - but the company kept going - not very well I'll grant you but thankfully it did keep going until his return. (say what you like about Steve, but he has managed to turn the fortunes of the company around..) If Gates did leave I find it unlikely that he would ever return - at the end of the day Steve Jobs is a far more creative person with plenty of ideas and suggestions to push the company in the right direction - what value is Bill adding to MS these days? At the moment, MS look like a company who have lost their way, just churning out the same code over and over...

Now - if we could get more fines on Microsoft like the EU Parliament one (and larger) that might have some effect along with the tide of Linux and the uptake of Mac OS X in more and more places :)

Sabenth
Jul 14, 2004, 03:29 AM
If in some strange acounting mixup and M$ was to stop dead well it wouldnt bother me to much after all as long as theres somthing out there that can run on a computer Macs Linux etc then were still safe but like i said cant see that happaning. Not in my i wont finish this because tomrow bill resigns runs of with a **** load of cash and never to be seen again .... BAD BOY BILL and his fantastic ideas of world domanation ...

BrianKonarsMac
Jul 14, 2004, 03:41 AM
one could always dream i suppose, but it will never happen, at least not before i'm too old for it to matter (i'm "only" 21). hopefully my kids won't have to grow up conforming to windows.

nagromme
Jul 14, 2004, 03:50 AM
All things change. Eventually (years? decades?) MS as we know it will be gone. But something will remain: bought by other companies, split up, etc. So Microsoft the corporate criminal could go under, while MS products have a long and continuing life. Look how hard it was to kill Amiga--they're still working on products! Killing the dominant OS platform is even a little harder than that :)

Windows, in some form--even if only for compatibility, like VPC--will be around for a long... LONG... time.

Awimoway
Jul 14, 2004, 04:23 AM
What a bizarre article. I've never heard of a wildly profitable company deciding, out of the blue, that it's not fun anymore and telling all its shareholders to take their money and go home.

On the other hand, it may true that running Microsoft stops being fun Gates or Ballmer. They might step down or they might just get soft.

But I'm not counting on it. And neither should you.

Other.au
Jul 14, 2004, 06:36 AM
That was such a fun article to read. These notions are certainly entertaining - especially for a mac user.

1macker1
Jul 14, 2004, 08:23 AM
Idiotic article. Fun is probably having the most dominating software on the market. Fun is having a 95% market.

This is pure garbage.

Keynoteuser
Jul 14, 2004, 09:40 AM
He forgot that Bill Gates is a Megalomaniac who wants to eventually rule the world. No way he'll close the doors of that company if it helps him achieve world domination.

0 and A ai
Jul 14, 2004, 10:47 AM
Wow Dvorak writing a crazy article just to get hits to his page to show his employers he brings traffic to the site? SAY IT ISN'T SO!

WILL SOMEONE TAKE DVORAK OUT BACK AND END IT.

Don't give this guy the time of day

mrsebastian
Jul 14, 2004, 11:03 AM
i'm not exactly an m$ fan by any means and certainly wouldn't shed a tear if they went bye bye. however, this is plainly a stupid concept and article... "As this is written, the asset or book value of Microsoft per share, including the $70-plus billion in the bank, is a fraction of the stock price. But if Microsoft can knock down the stock price with one or two dubious reports and collect another $50 billion or so while moving everything offshore, it might be possible to pay out the money to the shareholders and close the company. Just walk. If everything is offshore, the shuttering would have no local impact, since all the locals would have been laid off long before. Thus the number of lawsuits filed against the company for shutting down would be minimal. There is also the possibility of spinning off the Office, MSN, Xbox, and Server folks into new companies for a pot-load of cash. Make those divisions take on new names and close down everything else while passing out the cash to everyone."

i'm no lawyer, i just play one on the internet and i'd assume short of being lynched for actions like this, the lawsuits would be incredible. considering the shear size of microsoft, there is no way for them to just close-up shop, without major financial ramifications worldwide.

g4cubed
Jul 14, 2004, 12:25 PM
I think this belongs in the tabloids. Microsoft (unfortunely) is a world leading os. So if Billy gets tired or stops having fun, he'll just retire. I don't think Micrsoft will just close up. To many other companies associated with them to let that happen.
But miracles do happen :D

TomSmithMacEd
Jul 14, 2004, 01:48 PM
This just made me think of, what will Apple be when Steve calls it quits... I don't want to think about that.

themadchemist
Jul 14, 2004, 06:48 PM
Dvorak making an interesting point?!!!!

Can't be...