Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maz808

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Hi

Im a newly converted Mac user. I have been downloading high def 1080 AVI formated movies, I am able to watch the movies via Quick Time on my computer but i am interesed in uploading the movies to Itunes so that i can access them via apple tv. How do i do this? If converting is necessary, will they still be in high def 5.1 surround sound format? Although I like what apple tv offers, i-photo, i-tunes, I have not yet purchased it. Is there a better system? Suggestions or directions in 3rd grade english would be appreciated.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
The AppleTV only supports 720p@24fps so I'm affraid you'll have to resize and re-encode the 1080p AVI's for them to work on the AppleTV. If you don't want to do that then have a look at one of the many network media tank type devices eg Popcorn Hour. These type of devices usually play anything you throw at them, however don't expect the ease of use of an Apple product or a nice interface (the popcorn hour interface sucks).

maz808

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Ok thanks for the info. So what your sayin is ATV is unable to play true HD movies?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.