PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Audio Interface for HS80M's?

slicecom
Oct 2, 2009, 11:10 AM
I bought a pair of HS80M's and was going to run them right off the soundcard on my MacPro but there is a ton of buzzing and interference.

I don't do mixing or anything like that, I'm just an audiophile who likes listening to music on accurate studio monitors rather than consumer grade stuff.

What is the most economical interface to output from my MacPro to my HS80M's?

jackerin
Oct 3, 2009, 07:59 AM
While getting cheapest available converters sort of defeats the purpose of high-end speakers, you could look at some of the USB interfaces from M-audio. Firewire is nicer in general, imo (though my USB-bus is overcrowded already), but costs a bit more.

ChrisA
Oct 3, 2009, 10:23 AM
I bought a pair of

's and was going to run them right off the soundcard on my MacPro but there is a ton of buzzing and interference.

I don't do mixing or anything like that, I'm just an audiophile who likes listening to music on accurate studio monitors rather than consumer grade stuff.

What is the most economical interface to output from my MacPro to my HS80M's?

You likely may not like the "most economical interface". but if that is what you want try this
http://www.buyextras.com/asusbstausoa.html?gclid=CPXgppqVoZ0CFRpdswodORx12A

BUt you might be happier with something better
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Alpha/

The Alpha has 1/4 inch balanced outputs so the interconnects don't pick up buzz and hum. I think it is the lowest priced quality audio interface

slicecom
Oct 5, 2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks guys! Still looking at a few different options. I might try the BXT USB Key until my wallet recovers from the HS80M purchase. ;)

slicecom
Oct 13, 2009, 10:19 PM
Ok, so I've decided an audio interface with balanced outputs is the only acceptable option for my setup. Just trying to decide between the Lexicon Alpha or the Behringer FCA202. Both have balanced outputs, the Lexicon seems more popular, but the Behringer is firewire.

Any recommendations?

Luap
Oct 14, 2009, 12:11 PM
Behringer?! I really wouldn't.. But then I don't have any experience of that particular Lexicon product, but at least its a brand name with a solid reputation. So that would be my choice.
As for the balanced outputs: Thats not very important if your priority is driving your monitors from it. But still, it can be nice to have.

Good luck :)

slicecom
Oct 14, 2009, 01:24 PM
Behringer?! I really wouldn't.. But then I don't have any experience of that particular Lexicon product, but at least its a brand name with a solid reputation. So that would be my choice.
As for the balanced outputs: Thats not very important if your priority is driving your monitors from it. But still, it can be nice to have.

Good luck :)

Thx for the feedback. I've decided to go with the Lexicon Alpha. ;)

The reason balanced outputs are a concern for me is that there seems to be a lot of RF interference in my room and so anything that will minimize noise is a plus.

preppyclubguy
Oct 20, 2009, 10:25 PM
apogee duet is the way to go its only 499 but is made for apple basically you could say steve jobs should put his apple logo on it.. check it out its the best sounding sound card as well as best features out of anything under 1000

thegoldenmackid
Oct 21, 2009, 01:05 AM
Thx for the feedback. I've decided to go with the Lexicon Alpha. ;)

The reason balanced outputs are a concern for me is that there seems to be a lot of RF interference in my room and so anything that will minimize noise is a plus.

Lexicon really does a nice job in avoiding any coloring of sound.