Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alew!mac920

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
Arizona
Ever since i updated to Snow Leopard it seems as if my fan on my white 13.3 macbook is always moving or on. I don't know if there is anything i should do about this. I do have applecare if that helps. Let me know if you have had any problems or if this is normal!

alew!mac920

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
Arizona
How fast is the fan usually going? Download iStat Pro to find out. Mine is usually 1999rpm.
i just checked and its at 2274. at first i saw it at like 3367. so its kind of fluctuating. I should have mentioned that i have my macbook closed and i have an external display hooked up. idk if that has anything to do with it

alew!mac920

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
Arizona
i just checked and its at 2274. at first i saw it at like 3367. so its kind of fluctuating. I should have mentioned that i have my macbook closed and i have an external display hooked up. idk if that has anything to do with it
after replying i heard my fan going nuts and i checked again with istat pro and i saw it all the way at 6324! should i be concerned?

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
Your fans are most likely OK. They are merely reacting to increased CPU temperatures that many of us are experiencing since upgrading to SL.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
The fans are messed in Snow Leopard.

My fans would never EVER go on when I'm on YouTube, but once I upgraded they went on all the time. I did some experimenting, and it was Safari that caused them to go nuts so I went back to using good ol' Firefox and now my fans don't go on even on HD video! :eek:

alew!mac920

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
Arizona
It isn't the fans. You guys are just seeing the side effect of a CPU that is running hotter. The fans are just doing what they're supposed to do.

yeah i realize that, but why would be on because its not like im putting extraneous stress on my mac. the most i have open is itunes,mail and safari, and most of the time its just itunes and safari. i dont think native apps like that would make such a effect on my macbook?

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
yeah i realize that, but why would be on because its not like im putting extraneous stress on my mac. the most i have open is itunes,mail and safari, and most of the time its just itunes and safari. i dont think native apps like that would make such a effect on my macbook?
That's the $64,000 question, ain't it?

I have no proof but personally I think Flash has something to do with it. Also, I think the coders did something to make SL interact differently with our GPU's. Who knows?

I don't see any kind of fix though. Folks will just get used to it and this issue will fade away. Or maybe they'll sneak something into 10.6.2 but I wouldn't bet on it.

dlegend

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2009
DC
Since SL my computer has been running much hotter, fans hitting 6,300 on a regular occasion when i'm just surfing the internet (no flash/youtube)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.