Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Did you buy your tickets to the Summer 2016 Olympics yet?

It was announced today that the Games of the XXXI Olympiad will be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, from August 5 to August 21, 2016.

If you stay home in the U.S. you'll get plenty of live TV coverage since Rio is only 1 to 4 hours ahead. 17 days times 24 hours means you could watch the Olympics for 408 straight hours!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
ESPN is also biding to broadcast the games, and they said no delayed coverage.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
i am actually glad that Chicago didn't get it. the only reason why i would have wanted Chicago is to help the economy.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I was personally hoping that Chicago would get the games, but oh well. At least the games are in the western hemisphere this time.

I wonder if NBC is going to get the broadcast rights again. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they did. The Olympics are really the only thing that NBC has right now.

Don

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I wonder if NBC is going to get the broadcast rights again. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they did. The Olympics are really the only thing that NBC has right now.

Don
If they do it will cost them.
BRISTOL, Conn. — Standing on a deck overlooking the ESPN headquarters, executive vice president of content John Skipper delivers some bad news to network TV competitors about the upcoming bidding war for U.S. TV rights to the 2014 and 2016 Olympic Games. "We'll be there. We're having discussions with them," Skipper said.
After scoring big with its coverage of the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, you'd think NBC would have the inside track on TV rights to the 2014 and 2016 games. But ESPN/ABC will likely be a strong competitor. Without blinking an eye, ESPN outbid Fox by more than $100 million for the rights to college football's Bowl Championship Series (BCS) from January 2011 to January 2014.

As it celebrates its 30th anniversary, the once rinky-dink and now incredibly deep-pocketed cable network seems hungrier for the validation an Olympics would bring. "There's no question the Olympics would continue the process of establishing ESPN as the home of championship sports and great sports," Skipper said.

The International Olympics Committee has assured ESPN, said Skipper, that it will have a seat at the table when bidding begins in earnest for the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia, and the 2016 Summer Games in a still-to-be-determined host city.

To show it has the chops to handle a global event, ESPN will give its 2010 FIFA World Cup coverage the Olympic treatment. ESPN is already planning to send anchors Chris Fowler, Mike Tirico and Bob Ley to South Africa for the entire event, said Norby Williamson, executive vice president of remote/studio production.

"What we're hoping to bring to (the World Cup) is Olympic-quality production," said Skipper. "Not just the cameras but the feel of it. That it feels big. That it feels international. That it feels about more than just competition. It's competition. But it's also culture. And human drama."

ESPN's competitors won't roll over and play dead. Fox wants the games. NBC is expected to go to the mat to protect its franchise. CBS is also expected to bid.

"The Olympics are one of the premier sporting events in the world and we will absolutely be a part of the bidding process when the time comes," said Fox spokesman Dan Bell on Sunday.

While NBC did a "spectacular job" in Beijing, Skipper thinks the Peacock was both lucky and good. "You've got to give them credit for getting swimming at night. And you have to give it to them for orchestrating it so that Michael Phelps was a big story. Like all of us, they had the good fortune to be there when an unbelievable story unfolded, right? Michael Phelps every night. So they had a good run."
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/mccarthy/2009-09-07-espn-olympics_N.htm

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
But it was surprising still that Chicago was eliminated first! What's with that?
Let's not forget that the US hosted the games only recently – in 1996 of course. While a twenty year gap seems like ages, it really isn't that long in terms of an event held once every four years – a fact that may have been on the minds of those choosing the host for 2016.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Let's not forget that the US hosted the games only recently – in 1996 of course. While a twenty year gap seems like ages, it really isn't that long in terms of an event held once every four years – a fact that may have been on the minds of those choosing the host for 2016.

Then there was Salt Lake City in 2002.

Don

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Not having looked into it much, why was everyone pushing for rio? Is it an economic thing?

First city in South America to get the games.

Not really all that surprising seeing as Rio deserved it. But it was surprising still that Chicago was eliminated first! What's with that?

Chicago doesn't have the airport space for the games, and their public transport isn't particularly great.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008

its all politics...

european countries vote for europeans
asian vote for asian
North and South America vote for North America (until this year and until a South American city was in the running).

probably what happened is each bloc voted for their continent leaving poor Chicago last place. Chicago really needed Asian votes to dump Tokyo and go with Chicago..that didnt happen. If that were to happen you would have Rio, Madrid, and Chicago. Then Chicago really needed African votes to bypast Madrid, but it never got that far.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

every two years, you mean? winter and summer games haven't been in the same year for some time now. that said, I agree the US really wasn't due for another games having had winter in 02 and summer in 96.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
There's a good chance ESPN could get the Olympics coverage.

Reason is simple: because ESPN does not have to cater to over-air "prime time" viewers, they can broadcast almost any event live on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ESPN Classic + ABC regardless of time zone, and ESPN can use its ESPN360.com IPTV service to broadcast multiple streams of live sports from the Games.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK

I thought O'Hare and Midway were both already at or close to capacity, that's why I said it ;).

Keep in mind that while ORD has expanded to as much as it can, MDW can't expand any further, and King Daley destroyed Meigs Field to turn it into a park for his wife, without notifying anyone with the FAA nor the DOT, and against federal law at that. If Chicago gets it, they may not have the capacity to accommodate everyone. There is Chicago Int'l Airport, but that's actually in Gary, Indiana; which Chicago wouldn't get a cent of that money; obviously, it would go to Indiana.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
As a Chicagoan, I'm extremely relieved we're being spared the Games. Now we can focus on the real issues in this city, and King Daley can't use this as a diversion anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.