PDA

View Full Version : New details on the iMac G5 (AppleInsider)

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 14, 2004, 08:04 AM
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=550

Some interesting tidbits here. Heat seems to be an issue, and seems to be the reason for delay.

What I am reading seems to indicate that the fom factor maybe a "pizza box" placed on its end. With a mounting "bracket" for the LCD panel. If this is true, we may have a headless iMac that takes the VESA mount screens.

Can't wait till the Paris show.

Sabbath
Jul 14, 2004, 02:15 PM
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=550

Some interesting tidbits here. Heat seems to be an issue, and seems to be the reason for delay.

What I am reading seems to indicate that the fom factor maybe a "pizza box" placed on its end. With a mounting "bracket" for the LCD panel. If this is true, we may have a headless iMac that takes the VESA mount screens.

Can't wait till the Paris show.

Yup I'm suprised this hasn't been posted on the main page yet, I don't know how Arn checks out his stories but maybe he has differing sources.

Role on Paris, I can't wait.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 14, 2004, 02:40 PM
I found it interesting overall. Many of us bashed Apple for not having a 17" in the display line-up. It now makes sense that the 17" display would/ could be announced with the iMac. It would explain the VESA mount on the new displays.

Hopefully Insider will put up a picture soon.

w00tmaster
Jul 14, 2004, 02:43 PM
to a shortage of g5s.. I'm expecting 2 of those chips in a computer that I ordered 2 weeks ago, and it hasn't shipped yet. Others have reported problems w/ delayed G5s. If apple can't get enough to put into the PMs and XServes, how will they put them into iMacs?!

michaelrjohnson
Jul 14, 2004, 03:34 PM
I found it interesting overall. Many of us bashed Apple for not having a 17" in the display line-up. It now makes sense that the 17" display would/ could be announced with the iMac. It would explain the VESA mount on the new displays.

Hopefully Insider will put up a picture soon.

This is a very plausable design speculation... that would leave an option for larger displays... amazing! I like this speculation better than most I have heard recently.

Dreadnought
Jul 14, 2004, 04:07 PM
Finally some rumors around here in the hardware section! :D I second the heat problems with the 90 nm chips... Production isn't quite as it should be. However, they are allready shipping the new 2,5 G5, which is a month earlier then expected!

Daveway
Jul 14, 2004, 04:47 PM
Why are IBM's G5s running sooo hot? Could it be the FSB? I have a P4 3.4ghz HT on my PC and it only has a simple heatsink and fan, nothing as elaborate as the g5.

kgarner
Jul 14, 2004, 04:59 PM
Why are IBM's G5s running sooo hot? Could it be the FSB? I have a P4 3.4ghz HT on my PC and it only has a simple heatsink and fan, nothing as elaborate as the g5.
The following is strictly my opinion based on what I have observed. I do not know if any of the following is true:

It is my understanding that what Steve wants is a computer that is almost silent. This seems to conflict with the other goal of a computer that is in a small and sexy case.

The old CRT iMac had a few iterations that had no fans whatsoever. A perfect match for these goals, but the new iMacs have an even smaller case, thus less airflow. They were still able to use quiet fans and keep the G4 cool enough. The G5 creates more heat and so requires either more powerful (read: louder) fans or more airflow (ie the PowerMac G5 case design).

The PowerMac G5 uses variable speed fans (a lot of them) to keep the air flow sufficient without having to go full blast. Thus, it remains nearly silent. The iMac needs the smaller more compact case and therefore needs a different cooling system.

So to answer your question, if it was just that they wanted it cool, they would do exactly like they did with your PC, add a bigger heatsink and more powerful fan. Most PC's that I have heard can be quite loud, though I admit that I know nothing about your computer's noise level. I think that they want iMac to be silent as well so they have to engineer new solutions to the cooling problems of the G5.

Again, this is just what I think. Those with more expertise in this area can provide more accurate assessments I am sure.

aswitcher
Jul 14, 2004, 05:15 PM
I really hope we can find out soonish if we will be seeing new keyboards and mice in a metallic look, as well as BT in same. I think its a distinct possibility given a white keyboard and mouse will look kinda out of place in front of a tower of glass and steel.