Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I don't know jack about what it takes to run the iSight, but I was thinking that it might be neat to see a combo of the iPod and iSight for makeshift video recording on the go. [I won't speculate on a wifi iPod being able support iChat]

Battery life would be less, but could Apple make an iSight recognize an ipod Dock and record to the hard drive? I'm sure it wouldn't be the next greatest thing, but it's got to have some appeal for non-pro applications. Here is a picture for visual reference:
isightpod.jpg

What would make this
1. Useful
2. Possible
3. Impossible

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
If the costs are low enough to put it in, they should.

Also there have been rumors for awhile about a iSight2. It could be smaller. And with a 60gb HDD iPod due(?), this would give the naysayers that no one needs that much space, something to use that space for.

stoid

macrumors 601
Actually a few members here boast music libraries at or over 50GB (or just encode it at a higher bit rate). I also remember a thread a few months back showing an article about a company working on software to link your iSight and iPod. Too lazy to search. :eek: It may have just been a joke anyway.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Chip NoVaMac said:
And with a 60gb HDD iPod due(?), this would give the naysayers that no one needs that much space, something to use that space for.

OT, but i always found those naysayer arguments pretty funny. more capacity does not need to be used for more songs. if you have twice the capacity, audiophiles will love being able to store at twice the bitrate...

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
jxyama said:
OT, but i always found those naysayer arguments pretty funny. more capacity does not need to be used for more songs. if you have twice the capacity, audiophiles will love being able to store at twice the bitrate...

And, I use my iPod as a portable hard drive as much as I use it for music. 60GB would be nice! (my 40GB will do fine til then! ) :p

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
back to being on topic... the problem is, iSight is too expensive/bulky to be cool add-on "gadget" but too underpowered to be "useful." if video record capability is meant to be "fun" add-on for the iPod, it should be cheap and small. Say a small $50 camera, capable of recording at 640x480 at 30 fps with sound, would be a great, fun add-on for the iPod. but it must be small enough so that people won't really think about taking it off and leaving it at home. the whole point of "fun" gadget is that it's accessible and available at all times...

if they want to charge iSight like price, it has to be able to do more than the current one. 640x480 isn't all that high of a resolution. my digital camera can do that already. if it could do 1024x768 - a "full" resolution for the most popular screen resolutions - then it would be "good enough" to stand on its own merit as an expensive add on.

neat idea, though. i'd love to see it done if it's not too much of a trouble just because it's such a neat idea.

Trekkie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2002
Wake Forest, NC
My only concern about a 60GB (or larger) iPod is that I need that same amount of storage on my PowerBook. Now I'm debating upgrading to a G5 Dual so storage may not be that big of a concern then, but that's my only 'jeeze louise' response to bigger and bigger iPods.

Now if they released an iTape or iBackup that would work locally and let me do something interesting for backups, that'd be nice...

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Well, i like the idea. I already have an iPod fatboy and I already have an iSight. Why not be able to record vid whenever the iris is open. It'd be fun. Not professional, but fun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.