Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.tb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Hi I'm having a frustrating issue:

I purchased a Creative Vado HD cam with the promise of Mac compatibility. The H.264 AVI files the Vado creates will only playback audio, but no video in ALL of these apps: Quicktime X, Quicktime 7, VLC, and the Vado Central software for Mac.

I installed Perian, and it did nothing. I also removed any misc codecs that might interfere with Perian. Still no luck. I tried converting the AVI to something more Mac friendly with quicktime, compressor, visualhub, handbrake - all resulted in a file with audio playback only.

I've spent hours scouring the internet for solutions and cannot seem to find one. Maybe I'm missing something? I've done everything required on Vado's website to enable Mac compatibility and playback -- No luck. Creative's support page is no help.

I know some other people have successfully used their Vado HD on a Mac. Any help would be appreciated!

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
Hi I'm having a frustrating issue:

I purchased a Creative Vado HD cam with the promise of Mac compatibility. The H.264 AVI files the Vado creates will only playback audio, but no video in ALL of these apps: Quicktime X, Quicktime 7, VLC, and the Vado Central software for Mac.

I installed Perian, and it did nothing. I also removed any misc codecs that might interfere with Perian. Still no luck. I tried converting the AVI to something more Mac friendly with quicktime, compressor, visualhub, handbrake - all resulted in a file with audio playback only.

I've spent hours scouring the internet for solutions and cannot seem to find one. Maybe I'm missing something? I've done everything required on Vado's website to enable Mac compatibility and playback -- No luck. Creative's support page is no help.

I know some other people have successfully used their Vado HD on a Mac. Any help would be appreciated!

What version of perian did you install? Supposedly you need 1.1.3 or higher to use the Vado.

Good luck!

.tb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
im using version 1.1.4 so its the most current version. Like I said, I installed Perian and it did nothing. Its like I didnt even install it!

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
im using version 1.1.4 so its the most current version. Like I said, I installed Perian and it did nothing. Its like I didnt even install it!

Do you have snow leopard? ( I assume you do since you mention Quicktime X )

Try downloading an Xvid clip or DivX and see if it is able to play. Maybe the current version of perian doesn't yet work with Snow Leopard.

Sorry you are having so much trouble

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.