Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartinJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Hi Folks,

My first post... I've been a Mac user since the TiBook (was that 2001?)

I am currently doing a 3.5 hour train journey twice a week and I would to watch iTunesTV shows and some music videos and may be the odd film to pass the time.

Can the Rev C 2.13 SSD play HD TV shows without getting hot and maxing out the fans?

Also, would it be able to play say a 2 hour SD movie on a full battery?

My work needs are very basic and I am certain it would be fine for those.

Many thanks,
Martin

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Even the original MBA is a pure joy to use in bed watching movies and tv shows - mine works wonderful for the Hulu app as well.

I have an app that I use to turn the fans down when they get too loud - I have found the passive heating works great.

But yes the MBA as a media player is wonderful and I am tending to think that it is actually better than say a tablet.

I am wondering the merits of a tablet - when you would have to hold it up to watch or read anything - the MBA is the perfect media consumption device - I have spent much more time reading ebooks than I ever had in the past and the LED screen makes it so my eyes don't get tired.

A wonderful computer.

Just some thoughts

MartinJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
All sounds promising. I was thinking I might take an H264 movie on a USB stick and my noise cancelling headphones into my local Apple store for a play.

I buy quite a lot of stuff on iTunes but I also rip a bit (of stuff I have bought on DVD) to H264 using Handbrake "Apple TV" settings which gives great results. I can rip at about 130 frames per sec on my MacPro!

Would a Rev C with its NVidia GPU run any cooler under Snow Leopard than a Rev A when playing video?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
All sounds promising. I was thinking I might take an H264 movie on a USB stick and my noise cancelling headphones into my local Apple store for a play.

I buy quite a lot of stuff on iTunes but I also rip a bit (of stuff I have bought on DVD) to H264 using Handbrake "Apple TV" settings which gives great results. I can rip at about 130 frames per sec on my MacPro!

Would a Rev C with its NVidia GPU run any cooler under Snow Leopard than a Rev A when playing video?

The key in the MBA is the 9400m... It uses hardware decoding of h.264 video. It's a sure joy to use and would be great for your needs. Just be sure to not block the fans which are on the back of the bottom of the MBA. It just takes some common sense really. I use a magazine or book under it if on a soft surface, and that prevents the overheating.

Best wishes with whatever you choose.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Yes it'll work just fine.

but HD YouTube videos NO.

Flash is a huge CPU hog so downloaded HD movies will play just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.