PDA

View Full Version : Sony to offer movie and television downloads via 'Connect'...

MacBytes
Jul 14, 2004, 08:49 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Sony to offer movie and television downloads via \'Connect\' within 12 months (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040714094928)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

stoid
Jul 14, 2004, 08:57 AM
Proprietary Sony format that can only be played on Sony's not-quite-Apple players. Not going to take off. In the propriety world, only two companies so far are doing well. Microsoft by making people buy it because they "have no choice" and Apple by making people want to buy it because there is no equal.

mainstreetmark
Jul 14, 2004, 09:12 AM
As I've said in another recent macbytes thread, I welcome the day when I can download movies. It'll keep me out of blockbuster and $8 movie theaters with commercials. I could care less if it takes 2 or 3 hours to download a movie. But, I have a DVD burner and my TV has a DVD player -- it just seems so hand-in-glovey.

1macker1
Jul 14, 2004, 09:41 AM
About time. I've always wanted this. And maybe this will help push the broadband companies. This is a great reason for companies to give us more bandwidth. 3M just isn't fast enough.

mrsebastian
Jul 14, 2004, 01:37 PM
guess sony is now in the business of losing money. i see two issues right out of the gate that will keep this sony venture from working: first, for most people the internet is too damn slow to realistically download movies. second the proprietary format is a killer and the only way that people will want to download a film, is if they can then burn that to a dvd to put in their collection. add to that, the advances cable/satellite companies are making with on demand movies -- i'm not gonna wait hours to download a movie i can watch in seconds from my cable/satellite company and record with my tivo or dvd burner.

wowoah
Jul 14, 2004, 03:42 PM
I don't know about the movies, but a tv-show download service sounds excellent. I don't have tivo, nor can I afford it, but for a reasonable price I'd love to be able to watch tv shows that I missed. If it were reasonable enough, I might even cancel my cable subscription.

Of course, this is probably going to be a PC-only endeavor, so oh well.

nagromme
Jul 14, 2004, 04:07 PM
Something may happen with this eventually. Don't expect it to be successful from Sony though :)

Four things that make video different from music:

1. Bigger file sizes. Most people still don't have broadband--I save the cost of an iPod every year by going with $9 dialup! iTunes downloads are perfectly doable without broadband--your music takes about 3x as long to receive as it does to play. You can get several albums a night.

2. People don't often need to own video--they want to see it, not shuffle play an "owned" library of it. Given that, a long download becomes less worth it.

3. You don't use video while doing other things. So having it on a computer (or portable player) aren't that helpful.

4. NetFlix already provides great convenience--no waiting since you get movies as you return them. And no need to burn discs or even turn on your computer--which would be an obnoxious extra step just see something on your TV. I hear nothing but good things about that business model--and the technology's already in place, nothing to make people get used to.

Get A Mac
Jul 15, 2004, 03:15 AM
The important part of this announcement is TV downloads! Right now we have one chance to see a TV show and if we miss it, tough luck. A few TV shows have recently released DVD collections, but they are usually years old, we have to buy a whole season, and it is quite expensive. If someone misses an episode of the Simpsons, getting an inexpensive download would make sense. And it's not just limited to sitcoms. If you want to purchase a copy of the Opening Ceremony of the 2004 Olympic Games to keep forever, there is no way to do that right now.

People without cable or HBO who otherwise can't see a show would love to purchase a download. This service would also be successful with people who want to skip the commercials. Last but not least, TV downloads would be much smaller files than movies. An episode of the Simpsons is slightly over 20 minutes, easily manageable by a broadband connection.

People may not need movie downloads, but TV downloads done right (ie. by Apple) would be quite successful!