PDA

View Full Version : upload: The Window and the Apple

MacBytes
Oct 2, 2009, 07:31 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: upload: The Window and the Apple (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20091002203122)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

cohibadad
Oct 2, 2009, 10:40 PM
article author is clueless. make a checklist and reevaluate each of his points in one year. obviously foolish now. in a year he will be proven so.

Kristenn
Oct 3, 2009, 06:38 AM
Worst. Article. Ever.

I don't have anything against Windows. But... comparing is to Mac OS X is just... dumb. Until Windows gets a whole new code thingy (No registry or a better one) and wont have the need for disk defragging (maybe get rid of NT all together) it will be fair to compare it to Mac OS X.

I don't really know which code is older but. Windows NT has been around A LONG TIME. I know Mac OS X has too. But honestly? This is not a Apple fangirl statement either. I don't care how hard it is to crash Windows or OS X. I don't know why. But OS X just seems more stable. Maybe I'm crazy. But my dad builds Windows computer and owns a lot of Apple computers. It might be his opinion that OS X is more stable or it might be fact. Maybe both.

I like Windows 7. And I know Microsoft has to support legacy code. But as long as they do. Windows 7 seems more like Windows 2000 (or maybe whatever NT came before 2000) Its not bad... but it is old. I think that someday when or if Microsoft decide to make a new kernel and write everything over again... it will be fair to compare to Mac OS X. Now if its comparing features (which maybe this article was) then I guess thats fair... but comparing the whole OS... no.

Just my two cents. Agree to disagree ^^

opeter
Oct 3, 2009, 10:34 AM
Actually, I have to agree with him. Snow Leopard has many problems for now. Maybe, if Apple releases 10.6.3 or even 10.6.4, than we can talk about stability.

Windows 7 is much more stable in the actual build and the application compatibility is better.

BongoBanger
Oct 3, 2009, 03:32 PM
He's wrong because it's not a competition as Windows won that one a long time ago.

Both operating systems have their merits but W7 will comprehensively outsell Snow Leopard. There is no doubt whatsoever about that.

Winni
Oct 4, 2009, 09:30 AM
Just for the record, Microsoft is located in Redmond, Seattle, in the state of Washington - and not in the Silicon Valley as is stated in the "article".

And the rest of the "article" is the typical Apple fanboy crap.

The fact remains that Microsoft owns the market and Apple cannot compete on that turf. OS X is a nice consumer desktop operating system, but that's already the end of the story: OS X is not enterprise-ready and the (multi-tasking) performance of its OS kernel completely sucks when compared to the NT-based Windows kernels (read: beach ball).

Some other posters here should try using Windows 7 first before they claim that it's not fair to compare "the whole OS" of Windows with OS X - believing that the OS X experience is superior to Windows 7. If you go beyond opening a web browser, you might be surprised how pale OS X looks when you begin to really compare the features of the two platforms and the robustness of their implementations.

Apple might not only be running out of ideas, as the "article" says, but they've certainly run out of good QA people.

lunari
Oct 4, 2009, 09:50 AM
Just for the record, Microsoft is located in Redmond, Seattle, in the state of Washington - and not in the Silicon Valley as is stated in the "article".

And the rest of the "article" is the typical Apple fanboy crap.

The fact remains that Microsoft owns the market and Apple cannot compete on that turf. OS X is a nice consumer desktop operating system, but that's already the end of the story: OS X is not enterprise-ready and the (multi-tasking) performance of its OS kernel completely sucks when compared to the NT-based Windows kernels (read: beach ball).

Some other posters here should try using Windows 7 first before they claim that it's not fair to compare "the whole OS" of Windows with OS X - believing that the OS X experience is superior to Windows 7. If you go beyond opening a web browser, you might be surprised how pale OS X looks when you begin to really compare the features of the two platforms and the robustness of their implementations.

Apple might not only be running out of ideas, as the "article" says, but they've certainly run out of good QA people.

I agree with nothing you said. Especially the bit about multi-tasking, that's where OSX really takes the cake.

BongoBanger
Oct 4, 2009, 01:13 PM
I agree with nothing you said. Especially the bit about multi-tasking, that's where OSX really takes the cake.

You're going to have to explain that one because I don't believe it does.