PDA

View Full Version : Audio From Audio Interface Not Playing Back in iMovie'08

bluesguitar65
Oct 2, 2009, 09:45 PM
Hello all,

I'm having a problem with iMovie. Ok here is what I'm using. Canon ZR960 MiniDV camcorder with external mic input, M-Audio Fast Track USB audio interface and my black Macbook running 10.5.8 leopard.

Ok I set up my camcorder as a pass through video source via firewire in iMovie 08, and I connect my USB audio interface to the usb port so that I can use professional dynamic recording microphones, Shure SM57, Sennheiser e609...etc for the audio portion of the video instead of the recorded audio from the video camera's built in microphone.

In iMove, there is an option to choose the Fast Track as the audio source, which I choose.

But, when I'm done recording, the audio was not from the fast track, it was from the video camera's built in microphone.

How can I recored the audio from the Fast track instead of the audio from the video camera?

wts
Oct 4, 2009, 03:39 PM
Is there any mention in the manual/setup instructions for your cam about sound in and sound out in the Sound pref pain ( Applications/system preferences/sound ).

Also take a look at the manual/setup instructions for M-Audio FTrack. M-Audio generally prepare excellent setup guides. I would also be sure to have the "latest" driver by M-Audio for their USB FTrack.

Incidentally that shure mic is excellent quality.

Are you sure your Shure was on.

Not being familiar with your cam is their some way to shut of/disconnect the internal mike or is it just always on by default?

bluesguitar65
Oct 9, 2009, 11:50 AM
Is there any mention in the manual/setup instructions for your cam about sound in and sound out in the Sound pref pain ( Applications/system preferences/sound ).

Also take a look at the manual/setup instructions for M-Audio FTrack. M-Audio generally prepare excellent setup guides. I would also be sure to have the "latest" driver by M-Audio for their USB FTrack.

Incidentally that shure mic is excellent quality.

Are you sure your Shure was on.

Not being familiar with your cam is their some way to shut of/disconnect the internal mike or is it just always on by default?
I've went to system preference and changed the input to fast track and also changed the Voice Over input to fast track in iMovie'08. Everything looks good at that point, even tested out audio with the Shure SM57 and I was getting good strong signal with minimal clipping. The problem is when I use the Canon ZR960 miniDV camcorder as the pass-through video capture with iMovie instead of the iSight webcam. For some reason, when I use the camcorder, though making all the necessary audio changes to use the M-Audio Fast Track for audio, it will not play back the audio from the M-Audio fast track. It will record and playback the audio from the camcorder's buit in microphone.

When I use the iSight for the video capture source, I'm able to use the M-Audio Fast Track and able to play back the audio from it in iMovie'08.

So what is going on?

Seems like iMovie just bypasses the M-Audio when a firewire camcorder is used for video recording and uses the camcorder's audio instead regardless of system preference changes.

wts
Oct 12, 2009, 03:39 AM
I've went to system preference and changed the input to fast track and also changed the Voice Over input to fast track in iMovie'08. Everything looks good at that point, even tested out audio with the Shure SM57 and I was getting good strong signal with minimal clipping. The problem is when I use the Canon ZR960 miniDV camcorder as the pass-through video capture with iMovie instead of the iSight webcam. For some reason, when I use the camcorder, though making all the necessary audio changes to use the M-Audio Fast Track for audio, it will not play back the audio from the M-Audio fast track. It will record and playback the audio from the camcorder's buit in microphone.

When I use the iSight for the video capture source, I'm able to use the M-Audio Fast Track and able to play back the audio from it in iMovie'08.

So what is going on?

Seems like iMovie just bypasses the M-Audio when a firewire camcorder is used for video recording and uses the camcorder's audio instead regardless of system preference changes.

Technology is going on bro.

Just a question about the FW devices:

are they running thru a powered hub ? ( they should be )

Are you recording by anaolog or S/pdif ?

or toslink ?

What version of OS/iMovie ?

W'il make this work or w'ill go broke doing it. Na just kidding.

Yikes, gotta go to bed bro it's past 230AM.:D