PDA

View Full Version : 20 Suggestions for Improving the Mac Experience

MacBytes
Jul 14, 2004, 10:51 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: 20 Suggestions for Improving the Mac Experience (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040714115116)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

gregnacu
Jul 14, 2004, 01:43 PM
..."if Steve likes it, we're all supposed to like it."

Yeah that's it. Steve Jobs. What a loser that guy is. Everything bug and slight inconvenience about the mac is his fault. I think they should oust him. </sarcasm>

What an idiot.

Bendit
Jul 14, 2004, 02:28 PM
He lost all credibility when he demanded an ebook reader for his iPod... IT'S AN MP3 PLAYER YOU IDIOT!

Sayer
Jul 14, 2004, 02:43 PM
Several of his gripes are definitely valid and definitely fixable.

For example you can eject the iPod by right/control-clicking on the iTunes dock icon and selecting the Eject option. You don't even need to switch to iTunes to do this.

Unfortunately a lot of software, including Apple's, fails to make use of Dock menu shortcuts (new window/project would be immensely helpful for all apps that open new documents/projects).

Some apps do use horizontal scrolling by holding down a modifier key (Option I think) and using the scroll wheel.

This list reinforces many POVs that Apple should focus on finish/polish for existing software and features before piling more on top (Spotlight). Or just update various popular apps once every 6 months (iCal, Keynote, Safari, Finder). ShareWare developers add features and respond to problems far more deftly than the committee-run Apple development teams.

But hey, what do I know - I am just the customer and a Mac user since 1986.

fabsgwu
Jul 14, 2004, 04:31 PM
I have a couple....

Why does my iSub stop working after my computer wakes up from sleep. I have to unplug and replug it in.

Why can't my iSight and iPod be plugged in at the same time. I thought the iPod was broken, it was taking hours to sync. I brought it in to the Apple store and they told me "sometimes you can't have the ipod and isight plugged into firewire at the same time"

Why are contextual menus of folders (i.e. applications folder) stored in the dock so slow. Can't they keep this info indexed better, its not like it changes every minute.

Why does my airport default to someone elses' network when mine has the strongest signal and is set to the "preferred network"

And why is networking sooooo sloooow in Panther?

Those are some of my gripes. Not the end of the world, but definately things I hope are addressed in future releases if not BEFORE Tiger.

(on 10.3.4)

Sharewaredemon
Jul 15, 2004, 07:29 AM
The modifier key to scroll sideways if shift, I nifty little secret that I use daily.
I'm pretty sure this works in any normal window based app.
It also works in the PC version of iTunes, but so far I cna't figure out how to scroll sideways on a PC.