Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I just got an eMac, I love it, except that the speakers arent very loud at all. I have a pretty nice stereo in my room with nice speakers. Is there any way I can hook them up to my eMac? I was thinking about getting those JBL Creature speakers, but I thought this would be a better option. So does anyone have any suggestions?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
If the stereo has line input, you can jack in that way-- either via minijack, or a minijack-to-component "Y" adaptor. But, your stereo must amp the signal, or you'll get nothing.

So, figure out what type of input your stereo has-- there's surely a way to make it happen.

Tho the creature speakers are very nice... I spent a few minutes molesting them at an Apple store Sunday.

paul

if ur speakers are nice try getting them connected to your computer; if u want better audio try m-audio products to connect to ur emac either via firewire or usb this transfers teh sound digitally to ur speakers rather than analog from the mini jack which has poorer sound quality

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I might go down to my local mac reseller to see if they have any cables that could help me out. I'm still considering Creature speakers since my stereo speakers are just 50 watts each. How much power (I guess thats measured in Watts?) do the Creatures have? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think my eMac has 16 Watts, which doesn't really cut it if I'm in the other room and I want to be able to hear my music.

allroy

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2004
Here's what you need...

johnbro23 said:
I just got an eMac, I love it, except that the speakers arent very loud at all. I have a pretty nice stereo in my room with nice speakers. Is there any way I can hook them up to my eMac? I was thinking about getting those JBL Creature speakers, but I thought this would be a better option. So does anyone have any suggestions?

Xitel Link

It plugs into a USB port, similar to the M-Audio, but cheaper and comes with a pretty good 30' RCA cable. I have my Quicksilver hooked up via the Hi-Fi Link to my home stereo and it's pretty sweet.

Major benefit is you take a pure digital signal to your home stereo and bypass the built-in audio which usually isn't as good. My GF has a G5 with the Bose computer speakers and they are pretty sweet, but she doesn't have a stereo, so in that case it works and pretty well.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
allroy said:
Xitel Link

It plugs into a USB port, similar to the M-Audio, but cheaper and comes with a pretty good 30' RCA cable. I have my Quicksilver hooked up via the Hi-Fi Link to my home stereo and it's pretty sweet.

Major benefit is you take a pure digital signal to your home stereo and bypass the built-in audio which usually isn't as good. My GF has a G5 with the Bose computer speakers and they are pretty sweet, but she doesn't have a stereo, so in that case it works and pretty well.

Wow, thats pretty expensive. I thought I would be able to just go to Target and pick up a $10 cord. Maybe I should just get the $99 Creatures if the cord would cost $50. I don't have that good of a stereo anyway, it was only $150. Does anyone know how much power Creatures are? How much louder are they than my eMac speakers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.