Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zaciek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
Szczecin, Poland
I've bought 8 months ago external hard drive Seagate FreeAgent 1TB (USB 2.0 7200 RPM 32MB cache), till last week disk was plugged in to pc and everything was great. Now its plugged to mac and the problem is, the hard drive all the time going to sleep after minute or two. I've turned off sleeping disk in system pref., also i used command sudo pmset -a disk sleep 0. App from seagate is a piece of **** ;) I've made full format from ntfs to mac hfs. Nothing helped! Is there any solution to resolve my problem?

festfan

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2007
Re: Big problem with Seagate FreeAgent 1TB

Hi, zaciek.

I've been experiencing the same problem with the sleep issue, and also was having occasional disk corruption using OS X 10.4.11 with my firewire-connected eMac. Some research led me to this page at Seagate:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=15d2a66b91c4b110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD

Download the software and install it following the directions provided. The disk diagnostics won't work with the FreeAgent Pro, but supposedly the software will update the firmware and cure the drive's insomnia disorder on Macs. At least that is what I read. I just downloaded it this evening and have the drive running with the new driver, and so far have not noticed any problems. Fingers crossed.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.