PDA

View Full Version : ESPN NFL 2k5!

dxp4acu
Jul 14, 2004, 11:48 AM
Well, ESPN 2k5 is coming out early on July 20. Is anyone else getting this? At 20 bucks, I don't see why people wouldn't. And according to reviews, it will be better than Madden, plus cheaper. Even E3 gave it the Sports title of the year award.

Anyone else as hyped about it as me?

LethalWolfe
Jul 14, 2004, 12:08 PM
Well, ESPN 2k5 is coming out early on July 20. Is anyone else getting this? At 20 bucks, I don't see why people wouldn't. And according to reviews, it will be better than Madden, plus cheaper. Even E3 gave it the Sports title of the year award.

Anyone else as hyped about it as me?

In a word, yes! :D

I used to be a die-hard Madden but it's been NFL2k for me sense the series began.

And at $20 there is no reason not to pick it up.

Lethal

jelloshotsrule
Jul 14, 2004, 01:07 PM
hadn't really thought about the game... or heard about it

why is it 20 bucks? is madden still going to be 50?

and madden comes out like a month later, eh?

hmm, might be worth picking up...

dxp4acu
Jul 14, 2004, 01:23 PM
hadn't really thought about the game... or heard about it

why is it 20 bucks? is madden still going to be 50?

and madden comes out like a month later, eh?

hmm, might be worth picking up...

i believe that's all correct. It's 20 bucks because they want to get some market share up. I read that a new company is involved in the marketing of the game, and they are confident that when madden users try this game they will love it. Only problem is not many madden users were. This is a way to get some of them to try a superior product, or what they consider a superior product.

Wyvernspirit
Jul 14, 2004, 01:56 PM
I used to love the Sega Sports Football Titles back on Genesis System (nfl '95, etc). When I got a Playstation (I think for Christmas of 98) I got NFL Game Day and hated it. After much searching, found Madden 2000 and have purchased each one through 2003. I have loved the series and its continued maturity over the years. I have not picked up 2004, and plan on waiting till 2005s release to purchase another one.

I was not a big fan of 2K2 and have not tried any of the following titles. However, at $20 I might have to reconsider my stand on Sega's title and try it out. I guess my biggest question about it is: does it have a franchise mode and how good is it? I only play Madden in Franchise mode. So that info would be important.

Thanks.

dxp4acu
Jul 14, 2004, 02:13 PM
I know about as much as you Wyvern, but it looks very detailed. Guess we'll know in about a week!

If you play online you'll be excited to hear about this feature: on-line leagues. You can set up online leagues with your buddies (or anyone actually), and it will keep track of trades, you can even do a fantasy draft between all the teams. I think you can even follow the season online. Not sure about that last bit, but I read that somewhere. Plus espn will have updated real rosters online.

AnewMac
Jul 14, 2004, 02:52 PM
At 20 bucks it makes me wonder what kind of profit Madden is pulling in at over 50 bucks a game. hmmm.... :rolleyes:

LethalWolfe
Jul 14, 2004, 03:12 PM
At 20 bucks it makes me wonder what kind of profit Madden is pulling in at over 50 bucks a game. hmmm.... :rolleyes:

At $20 I would be surprised if they were making any proft and not surprised if they were losing money.

Lethal

dxp4acu
Jul 15, 2004, 08:38 AM

Especially considering Madden is not a new game each year, it is essentially a roster update with a few new bells and whistles thrown in. Hardly worth 50 bucks...

1macker1
Jul 15, 2004, 11:13 AM
GameSpot gave 2k5 a rating of 100.

Jovian9
Jul 15, 2004, 02:44 PM
$20 is a great deal. I've been playing EA games since Lakers vs Celtics & the NBA Playoffs in the 80's. Although I had NBA 2k1 on the Dreamcast and 2k2 on the GameCube and I'd have to say those were the 2 best basketball video games I've ever played. But when 2k3 came out it was terrible, so I switched back to EA NBA Live. I've had Madden almost every year since it came out but I've been wanting to try the 2k series football games for awhile now.....and at this price I'll have to.

LethalWolfe
Jul 15, 2004, 09:12 PM
$20 is a great deal... I've had Madden almost every year since it came out but I've been wanting to try the 2k series football games for awhile now.....and at this price I'll have to.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is exactly why they are selling it for $20. :D

Lethal

dxp4acu
Jul 16, 2004, 08:00 AM
Good point, Lethal.

dxp4acu
Jul 26, 2004, 08:12 AM
It's out. I've been playing it, its amazing looking! I dont get it all yet, but it is still alot of fun.

Jovian9
Jul 26, 2004, 08:56 AM
Circuit City is offering this game for $16.99 the day it comes out (at least in my town). So if you have a CC near you then you might try going there first.

LethalWolfe
Jul 26, 2004, 11:06 PM
I love it so far. I've played maybe 10-12 games. The graphix look amazing, and I like the new line of scrimage options for the D. Althoug they've switched what a couple of buttons do from the last version and I still screw up every now and then if I'm in a hurry.

There game has some bugs in it that are probably due to the rush to get it out but it is nothing major, IMO. If the game cost $50 I still wouldn't mind the bugs/glitches so for $20 it's still a killer steal.

There seems to be a lot of bad mojo surrounding the game though. I was over at the ESPN NFL 2k boards at ign.com and there were d*cks over there spreading BS, and sense the game is so new some people started questioning if they should go out and get it or not. Some people are just jerks.

Lethal

dxp4acu
Jul 27, 2004, 08:31 AM
I agree. There's a lot of bandwagon haters and Madden fanboys out there.

I would say we should play online, but I stink.

I love it so far. I've played maybe 10-12 games. The graphix look amazing, and I like the new line of scrimage options for the D. Althoug they've switched what a couple of buttons do from the last version and I still screw up every now and then if I'm in a hurry.

There game has some bugs in it that are probably due to the rush to get it out but it is nothing major, IMO. If the game cost $50 I still wouldn't mind the bugs/glitches so for $20 it's still a killer steal.

There seems to be a lot of bad mojo surrounding the game though. I was over at the ESPN NFL 2k boards at ign.com and there were d*cks over there spreading BS, and sense the game is so new some people started questioning if they should go out and get it or not. Some people are just jerks.

Lethal

kuyu
Jul 27, 2004, 10:56 AM
Just got this game yesterday. It is GREAT!!! Easily the best football title to date.

MAdden games are good, but 2K5 up the ante. For instance, the presentation of the game is incredible. Very realistic. Also, graphics are top notch and so are the sounds. (You can edit your own soundtracks and que them to play after certain events. I have the scream from Tool's "the Grudge" play everytime I sack the opposing QB!!!)

The halftime show is worth watching, and from what I can tell Franchise mode has everything Madden has and more. Fantasy Draft, league play online, roster updates. 2K5 even has Tim Couch playing for green bay, so it's pretty recent as is.

There are a few glitches, but this game is great. For $20, you can't go wrong. :)

Bu88a
Jul 27, 2004, 12:19 PM
For Macrumors members...

add me to your gamertag list (on xbox obviously) if you're interested send me a message, my tag is bu88a...

i'll set it up once we see how many people are interested...

dxp4acu
Jul 27, 2004, 12:34 PM
snap, i have the ps2 version.

windowsblowsass
Jul 27, 2004, 02:19 PM
xbl tag: taint master

tell me ur from here first so id nt just say no for the hell of it :rolleyes:

wdlove
Jul 27, 2004, 02:37 PM
I don't even get ESPN now, refuse force contribution to the Red Sox. They are already millionaires. In Boston if you get the family plan they you are forced to also get ESPN. :mad:

Bobcat37
Jul 27, 2004, 03:56 PM
I got ESPN NFL 2k5 the day it came out. Personally, I've been a 2k fan since the series began on Dreamcacst and have always cheered for it over Madden. The new $20 price is extremely great, and a pretty smart move by Sega... also, in case you guys didn't know, ALL ESPN sports titles will be $20 for probably at least a few years.

To think, I can get ESPN football, basketball, and hockey for just a little bit more than the price of one EA Sports game... :)

BTW: Xbox Gamertag - Bobcat37