PDA

View Full Version : Any reason NOT to purchase at Apple retail store?

soccerfan
Jul 14, 2004, 12:40 PM
I just got an Apple loan and was considering just heading over to the closest Apple Retail store (Milwaukee, about 2 hours away) to get the instant satisfaction of picking up my machine.

I don't need any BTO options.

So is there any reason NOT to do this, and to purchase through the Apple website??!! I"m a student, so the student discount applies (ie, I don't think any other retailer can give student discounts)

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 14, 2004, 12:50 PM
None that I can see. Though I would suggest take a hard look at what your needs are. BTO may be the best solution. Wish I had, then I wouldn't be stretching my 40GB HDD on the PB 12" rev. B.

GroverDoc
Jul 14, 2004, 12:50 PM
If you don't want BTO options then I don't see any reason why you wouldn't go pick what you want from the Apple store.
Just call ahead to see if what you want is in stock.

tbabb
Jul 14, 2004, 01:32 PM
I can think of a few small reasons....

If you are open to getting a refurb, you can save money online. I purchased my Dual 2.0 G5 last month from the online Apple store and saved about $500 over a brand new one. No problems to report.

Sometimes the retails stores have open box deals.

Are you purchasing a monitor to go along with it? You might feel more comfortable being able to check out a monitor for deal/stuck pixels first before walking out the door with it. Not all stores have the same rules here, so depending on which store it is, they may or may not allow you to inspect the monitor first. If they would not let me see the monitor before I purchased it, that would be a deal killer to me.

Do you have a Microcenter near you? Great Apple dealer IMHO, with decent return and replacment policies.

My $.02 anyway.

letterbox
Jul 14, 2004, 01:36 PM
You don't have to pay tax when ordering online (if not in CA). Big plus, big saver.

reaper
Jul 14, 2004, 01:38 PM
You don't have to pay tax when ordering online (if not in CA). Big plus, big saver.

Through Apple you do. They have retail presences in all states and WILL charge you sales tax.

- reaper

Macmaniac
Jul 14, 2004, 01:43 PM
If you have an independent Apple reseller in your area you might want to check them out, I work for an independent reseller and these mom & pop shops usually go the extra distance to make your purchase worthwhile. They will often have 10+ years experience with Macs so they can point to products that they see as good, and they usually know a lot about tech problems and many stores will troubleshoot over the phone so you don't get the usual canned responses from Apple's service center(I'm not bashing Apple's tech line they are great but they have to follow company protocols)

soccerfan
Jul 14, 2004, 01:57 PM
Is anyone besides Apple able to offer the student discount?

Grimace
Jul 14, 2004, 02:09 PM
Is anyone besides Apple able to offer the student discount?
Universities themselves often offer Apple products at the EDU pricing - and occasionally lower costs. Many can bundle Applecare for $99 more. Depends on the school.

matthewr
Jul 14, 2004, 02:52 PM
When I bought my last PB (400 Mhz Pismo), I looked at the apple store, but I wasn't getting any BTO options, and it ended up being cheaper to pay full price, but no sales tax by buying from an online reseller (outpost.com, I think). They had free shipping, and a free case bundled with it. If you're not doing BTO and you can stand to wait, it is worth looking around at online resellers to see what sort of package deals they are offering (but I don't know if you can use your Apple loan, then...)

parrothead
Jul 14, 2004, 03:06 PM
I just got an Apple loan and was considering just heading over to the closest Apple Retail store (Milwaukee, about 2 hours away) to get the instant satisfaction of picking up my machine.

I don't need any BTO options.

So is there any reason NOT to do this, and to purchase through the Apple website??!! I"m a student, so the student discount applies (ie, I don't think any other retailer can give student discounts)

If you go to the Apple Store make sure to bring that Apple Loan number. It will save you at least an hour of hassle with looking it up and calling the bank, etc

Grimace
Jul 14, 2004, 03:23 PM
If you aren't going with EDU, Apple Resellers can give crazy price discounts. www.redtaggers.com has the 2.5Ghz powermacs for $2914 and a few powerbooks well over $100 less than Apple's prices. New and sealed, but cheaper than ordering direct. Weird.

Peyote
Jul 14, 2004, 03:30 PM
Wow! $2914!? That almost $80 on a machine you are paying over $2900 for! That's a discount of nearly 3%! Who would want the EDU discount when that company is SLASHING PRICES! :D

Grimace
Jul 14, 2004, 03:45 PM
Wow! $2914!? That almost $80 on a machine you are paying over $2900 for! That's a discount of nearly 3%! Who would want the EDU discount when that company is SLASHING PRICES! :D
Ummm....i said if you are not using EDU - this is a good deal. As in - anyone interested in buying a Mac at an Apple store, who is not in the EDU market. sheesh! :(