Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoffeeMonkey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2003
I'm looking at ordering a dual 2.0ghz G5, and was planning on getting 2GB of RAM. Then I saw that I could get up to 4GB for another $500.

I'm thinking that 2GB is pretty good, and 4GB is probably overkill for someone who isn't a pro-user. Yeah, I might do some light video editing, and I'll probably play SimCity4 and maybe even Doom3, but I'm thinking that I'd probably be better off upgrading to the 2.5ghz if I really want to spend another $500.

What do you all think?

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
CoffeeMonkey said:
I'm looking at ordering a dual 2.0ghz G5, and was planning on getting 2MB of RAM. Then I saw that I could get up to 4MB for another $500.

I'm thinking that 2MB is pretty good, and 4MB is probably overkill for someone who isn't a pro-user. Yeah, I might do some light video editing, and I'll probably play SimCity4 and maybe even Doom3, but I'm thinking that I'd probably be better off upgrading to the 2.5ghz if I really want to spend another $500.

What do you all think?

I recommend getting much more than 4MB of RAM. That's not enough to even boot Mac OS 8.

4 GB is probably overkill, though. 2GB is certain to be all you'll ever need if you're just a casual user.

Heck, an emac with 2GB RAM would be overkill for a casual user - unless you want to run Doom 3.

Recommendation: buy a refurb dual 2GHz G5 for $1999, a 2 GB ram kit for $320, and go buy an ivory backscratcher or a trip to tahiti with the money you saved.

Sheesh.

-vga4life

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
I assume you mean GB not MB? If that is the case, I would personally get a 2.5 G5 with 2GB of ram instead of the 2.0 with 4GB. When you need ram you can upgrade later, and Ram prices go down over time, and is cheaper from other vendors rather than apple.

Also, assuming you aren't getting the 6800 DDL, I would go for the 2.0 G5 with 2GB of ram and that card.

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
I wouldn't be too tempted by 4Gb just now if you need that much ram you will know it, and if you find you need it you can get it later. I would be tempted by the dual 2.5GHz but I would want to hear one first they may be very nice and quiet, and it is a fair performance jump over the 2GHz. However you would definitely want Applecare on that new liquid cooling system.

Maybe you would rather spend the $500 on something else however it would depend on your preferences.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
2GB is more than enough for your needs. You could even do 1GB if you really wanted to. But for a Dual 2.5ghz (processor speed being the best place to put your money, everything else is upgradable later!!) I would recommend 2GB for the best performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.