Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
If Apple ever makes an App Store for Mac OS X and forces that to be the only way to distribute your application, I will switch to Windows :)

iLoveDeveloping

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland
Never is an option...?! They sell pretty dam well right now without an App store. Ever go into an Apple store??? There are Bookcases of OS X software. Selling something for a tiny portable device with small size programmes (most not more than 60mb) is VERY different than selling full package games and programmes from a desktop or macbook! You might be waiting some time!

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
But, if Apple did an app store for mac, forcesteeler could bitch about not getting paid quickly for mac sales also. :rolleyes:

larkost

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
I am also strongly opposed to an Apple run, or Apple-anointed, app store being the only source of Applications. But how about a middle road: what if Apple offered an app store that allowed a one-click purchase/download/install? A lot of people have problems installing even simple software (as in the whole Firefox install debate), and setting up an e-commerce site and setting copy protection can be a hassle for small developers. Having Apple come in and do it for some percentage of the cost might well be worth it for many people.

So a partial list of the benefits of such a sceme:
  • Easier install for users, might make an uninstall of these apps easy
  • Easier hosting of apps for developers and credit-card transactions (takes care of billing, hosting, returns, etc)
  • Provides catalog of applications for users, linked from Apple (many users don't know about MacUpdate/VersionTracker) - this includes some form of advertisement for the developer
  • Easy for users to know they are not getting a bad version of an app from an untrusted source
  • At least some minor approval process before listing of the apps insures some modicum of quality apps (but brings with it all the negatives of the approval process)

I am not completely sure I like this idea, and am strongly against it being the only way of getting apps, but I do see some attraction to the model as one avenue of getting apps.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I am also strongly opposed to an Apple run, or Apple-anointed, app store being the only source of Applications. But how about a middle road: what if Apple offered an app store that allowed a one-click purchase/download/install?

I second this. Certainly not as an exclusive means of distribution, but I agree that it would be nice as an option. Especially if they manage payment, licensing etc. I think it would be great exposure for indie developers, and would allow those who chose to participate to be able to focus more on their products and less on managing their distribution infrastructure.

GeneKam

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Mississauga, ON
Its going to be never. Software size (eg. 700 mb) is rediculous for servers. It simply wouldnt work. On top of that most companies need more then just apple advertising page. They have their site to display software in higher depth. ALSO, apple would be screwed on software, because dev would never pay money to apple to get their software hosted and sold when they can do it themselves for free.

PS: google or any other search engine will do same as app store minus categorizing it.

EDIT: If you look at some of the software, it is very big, a few gigs. It is mostly distributed via "hard" media. So as soon as the world goes all digital and drops all physical media, then it would be useful. Not any time soon though, new HVDare pretty good. 1TB storage, i hope they come out soon!

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
The one and only potential benefit to developers that would make them choose App Store distribution over standard web distribution is exposure. Everything else about the App Store makes it a nightmare compared to standard channels.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
As an option is sounds like it'd be a good idea, especially for small developers.

There are probably a whole lot of issues with it though. For one example, volume licenses. I have no problem with Apple getting 30% of a single download for a single customer. But if someone orders 100 of them for their company, which I'm discounting, 30% on each one seems like too much when Apple really didn't do much extra for the additional licenses. Maybe a little extra bandwidth, that is if the customer didn't just do one download and distribute it themselves, but that's a lot less than 30% of the price of your product.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Might be an interesting idea for small developers who don't have any commercial web presence (fulfillment, advertising, etc.), and are distributing apps that aren't huge.

As a customer for small Mac utilities, I would prefer to just let Apple have my credit card and contact info, and not have to deal with paypal and etc. with a dozen small operations I've never heard of.

But the big software companies have better routes to potential customers.

mongrol

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
When do you think Apple will make a app store for OSX Applications?

Hopefully never. An App Store for the Mac is one step closer to closing the platform and mandating all Apps through the store. We do not want a Mac App Store.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
An App Store for the Mac is one step closer to closing the platform and mandating all Apps through the store.

Do you really think Apple thinks this strategy would be in it's best interest? I know Apple has control issues, but I would think they would be able to foresee the mass exodus from the platform that would result from implementing a closed platform strategy. Not only would you have developers leaving, but you would likely see millions of users leaving as well (I would be among them).

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
Search Google or here for apps.

Personally, finding apps to complete a task is all the more fun for me. To each their own.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
It should never be the exclusive way of getting apps onto OS X. It'd kill the OS completely, and I'm sure Apple know that :)

But I do like the concept, and it wouldn't surprise me if it came into existence and became a popular distribution network. Apple have a habit of developing new hardware, letting it lead the way and then 'back-porting' some of the technology to their more long-standing products - or various techniques in between. I think we'll see a tablet running something in between the iPhone OS and the full desktop Mac OS X, with an app store of its own - and then they'll do a desktop one. But I definitely don't think it'll be forced.

mongrol

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
It should never be the exclusive way of getting apps onto OS X. It'd kill the OS completely, and I'm sure Apple know that :)

But I do like the concept, and it wouldn't surprise me if it came into existence and became a popular distribution network. Apple have a habit of developing new hardware, letting it lead the way and then 'back-porting' some of the technology to their more long-standing products - or various techniques in between. I think we'll see a tablet running something in between the iPhone OS and the full desktop Mac OS X, with an app store of its own - and then they'll do a desktop one. But I definitely don't think it'll be forced.

If they implement it gradually in stages then I'm sure they could do it. The tablet is going to be App Store only for definite. After that they release a Netbook style machine somewhere between the Tablet and the Macbook. Same deal, closed App Store. It's acceptable and one step closer. Slowly more consumer orientated Laptops are phased out to be replaced by new models that too, follow the closed App store strategy.

Before you realise because it's happening over years rather than big bang the entire platform is closed off. Customers will remain, some will leave but Apple won't care as the returns are too great for them to ignore.

A closed Mac App Store is a no brainer for apple and it WILL happen.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
If they implement it gradually in stages then I'm sure they could do it. The tablet is going to be App Store only for definite. After that they release a Netbook style machine somewhere between the Tablet and the Macbook. Same deal, closed App Store. It's acceptable and one step closer. Slowly more consumer orientated Laptops are phased out to be replaced by new models that too, follow the closed App store strategy.

Before you realise because it's happening over years rather than big bang the entire platform is closed off. Customers will remain, some will leave but Apple won't care as the returns are too great for them to ignore.

A closed Mac App Store is a no brainer for apple and it WILL happen.

I do agree that this is how Apple would most likely implement a lockdown of OSX if they wanted to go in that direction.

I strongly disagree that Apple thinks this would be in their best interest. The loss in hardware sales from disgruntled users, the decrease in available 3rd party software from disgruntled developers and the all-around bad press/vibe this would generate in the computing world would be an unmitigated disaster. The stock price would plummet.

Apple may not always make the best decisions, but it's not run by morons. The vast majority of its profit is generated through hardware sales, and even a 30% cut of all 3rd party software would pale in comparison to the losses from the subsequent reductions in hardware sales (especially when you factor in the costs of running the approval department and the other overhead).

Also, consider what Adobe, Autodesk, Microsoft etc. would do if OSX went completely closed. I don't see them accepting a 30% bite into their revenues, so they would either have to jack up prices to maintain profits, or (more likely) pack-up and leave. Assuming they did stick around and raised prices to compensate, Macs would gain the reputation of having an "Apple Tax" where all 3rd-party software was ~30% more expensive than the same products on other platforms. This would certainly hurt the overall market-share, and ultimately Apple's bottom line. I'd like to think that Steve, the board and the other higher-ups are smart enough to have considered this.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
apple currently has the Downloads section on their site. i've been actually anticipating them to push for mac software by integrating their downloads site to an iTunes app store for mac. of course it wouldn't be as streamlined as the iPhone App Store, since apple doesn't actually host the software from the Downloads section on their server, nor do they sell the software themselves. contrary to recent rumors, if their upcoming tablet computer does end up having snow leopard installed (or some variation), i could definitely see an app store for mac software being built into iTunes that's reflective of their Downloads section.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.