PDA

View Full Version : Free stuff from Microsoft?

CubaTBird
Jul 14, 2004, 02:09 PM
http://www.windowsmobiletraining.com/index.aspx

When you fill out the info and use some standard company like dell, the site takes u to this quiz area and you win points and then with those points you can get a free copy of xp or free wireless mice.... Im thinkin' a scam, no? Here's another message board link about how its been going on....

http://forums.g4techtv.com/messageview.cfm?catid=59&threadid=191419

kgarner
Jul 14, 2004, 03:26 PM
Don't know if this is the same site, but when I was working at CompUSA they had offers like this. You go to a site, take a bunch of classes on their products and you got points. I got a free copy of XP Pro that way (though that was a special deal, not tied to the points thing). Lots of the guys I worked with did it to get free XBox games.

themadchemist
Jul 14, 2004, 05:50 PM
xbox games might be worth it...but keep your copy of xp, please.

Abstract
Jul 14, 2004, 07:18 PM
That's cool, but I'm not going to do it.

Usually, free stuff from Microsoft comes in the form of (free) security updates. :p

kgarner
Jul 15, 2004, 09:33 AM
xbox games might be worth it...but keep your copy of xp, please.
Oh I sold that a long time ago. I would have gone for the XBox games, if I had one.

goodwill
Jul 15, 2004, 11:09 AM
Free=Too good to be true=ALWAYS

webmatthijs
Jul 15, 2004, 11:14 AM
Well free is always good, event though it is microsoft and your probably gong to use it. there is something fishy about it though because, did you say or a copy of Windows XP or a wireless mouse? isn't a wireless mouse worth much less then XP. sounds like a pretty fake deal to me.

still... try it, read the terms though.

Whigga Spitta
Jul 15, 2004, 03:08 PM
Microsoft always gives me free headaches.

Dr. Zauis
Jul 15, 2004, 04:51 PM
I did it. After an hour I finally got enough points for a microsoft wireless optical mouse. should be here in 8 weeks. :D I had neither the time to get enough points nor the need for Win XP Pro. It was a real pain in the a$$ to do it though cause I kept getting a "server is busy" error message when I was in the middle of taking my quiz.

Abstract
Jul 15, 2004, 06:09 PM
Tell us if you end up getting it, or whether there's some sort of catch that's less obvious.

Nermal
Jul 16, 2004, 04:42 AM
I just took a look but it said something to the effect of "we are redesigning our site, please come back later". I can get most of the MS software for free anyway through the "academic alliance" programme we have at tech.

musicpyrite
Jul 16, 2004, 07:49 AM
I can't get in the register page, I get an error message.

I'll use FireFox.

AppleMatt
Jul 16, 2004, 08:12 AM
I haven't clicked the link yet but I doubt it's a scam, it's very common (in the UK at least) for market research companies to "reward" you by helping them out.

Might as well give it a go eh?!

AppleMatt

iLikeMyiMac
Jul 18, 2004, 07:10 PM
Zauis I ordered the same thing but I also got enough points for a cross pen. I can't wait for my free stuff.

Thomas Veil
Jul 18, 2004, 07:42 PM
Getting free Microsoft stuff is akin to crawling out of the Gobi desert on hands and knees and having someone offer you a peanut butter sandwich.

dvdh
Jul 19, 2004, 10:01 AM
I did it. After an hour I finally got enough points for a microsoft wireless optical mouse. should be here in 8 weeks. :D I had neither the time to get enough points nor the need for Win XP Pro. It was a real pain in the a$$ to do it though cause I kept getting a "server is busy" error message when I was in the middle of taking my quiz.

That should be just in time to find out that the new mouse is not compatible with XP sp2 . . .

applekid
Jul 22, 2004, 04:10 PM
Well, well, I just signed up yesterday after a friend told me about it. I've made four accounts now (everybody in my family wanted something) and completed the tests and watched the presentations. Racked up 1400 at max. They need to bring back referrals or toss in more tests. You can't reach 1500 or above, unless you got in early and did the referral program. Even then, the watch is still unobtainable.

I've ordered a Cross Pen and Swiss Army Knife.
My sister ordered a Cross Pen and Wireless Mouse (one of the few decent MS products).
My mom ordered a Cross Pen and Swiss Army Knife.
With my dad's account, we're waiting for MS to add some way of getting more points now. I plan on either getting that Swiss Army toiletry bag or the watch. Hopefully they'll add some better goods to obtain.

Anyways, it's most likely legit. MS isn't going to scam people in this way. They make mistakes that screw people over or cheat other businesses.

I'll be enjoying my rewards in 8 weeks... *sigh*

But, you've gotta admit, it feels great screwing MS for once. :cool:

applekid
Jul 23, 2004, 11:03 AM
Just wondering (and making an attempt at keeping this thread alive), have any of you ordered your goods, yet? Or are most of you just still not believing this is for real?

themadchemist
Jul 23, 2004, 11:09 AM
Getting free Microsoft stuff is akin to crawling out of the Gobi desert on hands and knees and having someone offer you a peanut butter sandwich.

an experience I frequently have, to be sure

FriarCrazy
Jul 23, 2004, 03:24 PM

A peanut butter sandwich with dry peanut butter and low carb bread... Yeah, my NTFS formated 250 gig hard drive in my XP machine forgot what file system it was yesterday. In the middle of copying files it decided to just die; now it thinks the drive is Raw data. I hate data recovery, but I especially hate Microsoft... more and more every day!!

ryan42
Jul 23, 2004, 03:29 PM
Buy Windows. Get free bugs.

applekid
Aug 6, 2004, 09:21 AM
Well Microsoft removed all of their non-MS rewards. So no more Swiss Army CyberTools, Cross Pens, Swatches, and Swiss Army Toiletry Bags.

However, you get 10 free points for logging in once a day. I suppose I could try to get that Wireless MS Keyboard and Mouse set.

monkeydo_jb
Aug 6, 2004, 12:05 PM
However, you get 10 free points for logging in once a day. I suppose I could try to get that Wireless MS Keyboard and Mouse set.

Yeah, that's what I want as well. I've got 1350, but no more training to do.

I suppose I should have actually read the courses so I didn't miss 100% on a couple
of those quizes.

Hopefully something new will get added so I can get that measley 150 more.

That wireless keyboard/mouse set is $100 at office depot and Win XP Pro is
$299.

If I get 1500 points, I may get XP and just return it for store credit and say I got it as a gift.
However, it'll probably be some Not for ReSale copy or something, knowing my luck.

Anywho, thanks CubaTBird for sharing.

-jeff

monkeydo_jb
Aug 6, 2004, 12:23 PM
I actually got to use a Dell Axim the other day.

Didn't realize that PDAs are up to 400MHz and faster!

My company is reusing PCs of that speed to load SuSE on for warehouse
apps.

That's craziness....

Anywho, the interface isn't really that intuitive, and the task switcher is hard to get used to.

Also, setting up the wifi was like pulling teeth (I hear that's hard....).

-jeff

musicpyrite
Aug 6, 2004, 01:21 PM
All the quizzes are basically the same, they keep drilling the same answer into every time, after time after time.

These are the kinds of tactics that the Mafia and terrorists use.Take the test, you'll see what I mean.

Edit:

Yes! I got 1500 points!!

What do you gus think I should get?

the MS wireless keyboard and wireless mouse

or the XP Pro?

monkeydo_jb
Aug 6, 2004, 02:35 PM
Yes! I got 1500 points!!

What do you gus think I should get?

the MS wireless keyboard and wireless mouse

or the XP Pro?

One of the VPs here at work just got that same keyboard/mouse set.

It's pretty nice. The scroll wheels on the mouse and keyboard rock left and right allowing you to
scroll side to side.

I don't know if XP will be the retail copy or a version packaged as promo (not for resale). But, that doesn't matter if you're planning on keeping it.

-jeff

musicpyrite
Aug 6, 2004, 03:32 PM
One of the VPs here at work just got that same keyboard/mouse set.

It's pretty nice. The scroll wheels on the mouse and keyboard rock left and right allowing you to
scroll side to side.

I don't know if XP will be the retail copy or a version packaged as promo (not for resale). But, that doesn't matter if you're planning on keeping it.

-jeff

Did the VP get the keyboard as a result of this promo thing or did he go out to bust buys or where ever and buy it?

monkeydo_jb
Aug 6, 2004, 03:37 PM
Did the VP get the keyboard as a result of this promo thing or did he go out to bust buys or where ever and buy it?

He got it at office depot.

-jeff

musicpyrite
Aug 6, 2004, 03:49 PM
Yea, I think I'll just get the keyboard and mouse, I can download XP Pro any time I want to off BT afterr SP2 comes out. 1500 points, and I have 1575. :D :cool:

All the questions are easy, I didn't even read what the captions were saying, I just took the quizzes.

Questions were like:

What is BlueTooth?(type of WiFi, wireless standard, memory type)
What is the approx. range of WiFi?(30ft, 300ft, 3,000ft, or 1 mile)
Which is not a wireless standare? (802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, or 802.11x)

applekid
Aug 6, 2004, 04:19 PM
Oddly I'm having to make the same decision (once my 1420 becomes 1500). Maybe I should hold out, hope, and wait for some newer prizes?

How would a command-key work with the keyboard? Use the... WINDOWS KEY?! :eek:

I already have a MX 700, but I could sure use a wireless keyboard...

And if I got Windows XP Pro, I could sell it...

What do you guys think?

musicpyrite
Aug 6, 2004, 06:32 PM
How would a command-key work with the keyboard? Use the... WINDOWS KEY?! :eek:

I already have a MX 700, but I could sure use a wireless keyboard...

I think they will work, but I'm not exactly sure.

I got the wireless keyboard/mouse because I hate how short the Apple keyboard USB cord is. It really really cheeses me off.

Here we go, uControl (http://lowendmac.com/musings/04/0526.html) will allow you to use a Windows keyboard, with your Mac, or re-map your existing Mac keyboard. Wireless freedom, here I come!

Now I only have to wait 6-8 weeks. :rolleyes:

Nermal
Aug 7, 2004, 05:17 AM
My Apple keyboard has a short cable too, but it came with an extension cord. It's about 1.5 metres long with the extension.

Unrelated Edit: I just signed up with the site and went through the first topic, I now have 350 points. How do you find rewards? I found a screenshot with a 'Rewards' link on the left, but it's not there on the real site. Do you need to collect a certain number of points before it appears?

applekid
Aug 8, 2004, 09:24 AM
Click the Rewards link on the side. Then there should be a green circle and arrow that says something about come inside to see the prizes. Flash or Safari might be acting up.

Let me just warn you, currently there's only MS-based products. You'll, at best, get 1400 points max. Good enough for two Wireless MS mice. But you do get 10 points for logging in daily. So wait 10 more days and you can get the mouse/keyboard combo or XP Pro. And make sure to accept MS's little e-mail thing. They haven't spammed me yet with one account (I purposely left it on, in hopes of getting some news of new presentations and tests for points), but you can turn it on and then off and you'll still get your 50 points. I would wait out a little longer and hopefully they'll add some cool non-MS rewards.

You really should've joined earlier. The Swiss Army Knife CyberTool is really sweet for anybody that likes tinkering with hardware in electronics and computers.

Littleodie914
Aug 8, 2004, 10:40 AM
Hey, I wanna try this out, but is it illegal to say you work for the company if you really dont? And I picked Dell as my computer company, but it's asking me for the address... What should I type in? Just make up an address?? :confused:

Littleodie914
Aug 8, 2004, 10:44 AM
Hmm yea, they also ask for the store's phone number... How are you guys getting past this?

applekid
Aug 8, 2004, 10:45 AM
Just BS everything. I said I work at Best Buy, CompUSA, etc. when I really don't. However, I did make one account where I just put in details for my home address and made up a company name.

Littleodie914
Aug 8, 2004, 10:47 AM
Just BS everything. I said I work at Best Buy, CompUSA, etc. when I really don't. However, I did make one account where I just put in details for my home address and made up a company name.But what did you put for the store's phone number? Did you just make that up too? And did you really put in your real address? Lol I'm just worried about getting caught... But I still wanna scam MS and get me a cool mouse!! :D

applekid
Aug 8, 2004, 10:48 AM
Heh. It's alright. Yes, fake that phone number, too.

But, put in real details for your home address and stuff since that's where it's shipping, too.

Let me put it this way, if MS wants to check everybody, they'll have to check 20,000 names and question everyone. Even if you were to get caught, the best they can do is either ask for the reward back if it has shipped, or they'll just let it go.

This is a pet project for MS. They'll learn from what happens through this. Let's teach them a lesson. :D

Littleodie914
Aug 8, 2004, 10:53 AM
Lol okay, I'm taking the quizzes... But what would happen if Microsoft found out that we didn't really work for these companies? What kind of trouble would we get in? (I'm skiddish)

Littleodie914
Aug 8, 2004, 10:54 AM
Didn't catch the edit, sorry :)

musicpyrite
Aug 8, 2004, 12:30 PM
Just BS everything. I said I work at Best Buy, CompUSA, etc. when I really don't. However, I did make one account where I just put in details for my home address and made up a company name.

hehe, I said I worked for microsoft :D

Littleodie914
Aug 9, 2004, 03:59 PM
Hey, I've done all the training stuff, but I only have 700-something points... And there are only 3 courses: Overview, Wi-Fi, and Pocket PC. Is this what everyone else is witnessing?

musicpyrite
Aug 9, 2004, 05:05 PM
Hey, I've done all the training stuff, but I only have 700-something points... And there are only 3 courses: Overview, Wi-Fi, and Pocket PC. Is this what everyone else is witnessing?

It depends on which company you said you were in.

Some have all of the traning stuff, others only have 3 or 4.

Littleodie914
Aug 11, 2004, 11:40 AM
Woo hoo! Created a new account, said I worked for Microsoft (which did, you're right, get me all the courses), and an hour later, ordered me a new wireless keyboard and mouse! Thanks guys! :D

applekid
Aug 11, 2004, 02:40 PM
I'm having trouble logging in. I go to sign-in and it keeps saying the .net passport is unavailable. :(

mulletman13
Aug 11, 2004, 03:19 PM
Hey guys

I used to work at a Target and here are some more places to get free things (however these places charge a few dollar 'handling' fee)

http://retail.microsoft.com

http://retail.xbox.com

Good luck and enjoy!