Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Romes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
I am installing OS 10.3 fresh on 4 machines for a user. I am generally a PC user and am a bit rusty on apple support by comparison.
I have read a similar thread on this in April to no avail.
Heres what I have tried:

Restarting, booting from the OS 9.1 cd and installing the classic OS. THis will not work because for some reason, when I choose the volume to install onto, the "select" icon is greyed out. I'm guessing this has something to do with write priveledges, but I'm not sure.

Copying over the system folder from the OS 9 cd while within 10, trying t ostart classic, and it says "the classic system folder is only meant to be used with on installation disks and will not work if copied to another volume."(approximate quote)

On apple.com I found instructions telling me to use the extra hardware installation cd that came with 10 to install classic. The problem is, my University has a site liscence for OS X, but the copy which have been made available to the professors do not include the extra cd, only the 3 OS 10.3 install cds.

So, how do I install classic without the extra cd, from the OS 9 cd, or, why is the selection greyed out? Thanks in advance.~

Romes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
I should add

I should add that the two machines I have been attempting this on are a light blue and a dark blue IMAC. The other two are a white IMAC and a g3 tower.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Romes said:
I am installing OS 10.3 fresh on 4 machines for a user. I am generally a PC user and am a bit rusty on apple support by comparison.
I have read a similar thread on this in April to no avail.
Heres what I have tried:

Restarting, booting from the OS 9.1 cd and installing the classic OS. THis will not work because for some reason, when I choose the volume to install onto, the "select" icon is greyed out. I'm guessing this has something to do with write priveledges, but I'm not sure.

Copying over the system folder from the OS 9 cd while within 10, trying t ostart classic, and it says "the classic system folder is only meant to be used with on installation disks and will not work if copied to another volume."(approximate quote)

On apple.com I found instructions telling me to use the extra hardware installation cd that came with 10 to install classic. The problem is, my University has a site liscence for OS X, but the copy which have been made available to the professors do not include the extra cd, only the 3 OS 10.3 install cds.

So, how do I install classic without the extra cd, from the OS 9 cd, or, why is the selection greyed out? Thanks in advance.~
The volume's probably grayed out because the Mac OS 9 drivers were not installed when the disk was formatted. The only way to fix this is to reformat the disk, checking the option to install Mac OS 9 drivers (or reformat the disk from Mac OS 9 - either option works). The error message you got about classic not working if you drag-install it is correct - Classic does NOT support drag-installation.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
wrldwzrd89 said:
The volume's probably grayed out because the Mac OS 9 drivers were not installed when the disk was formatted. The only way to fix this is to reformat the disk, checking the option to install Mac OS 9 drivers (or reformat the disk from Mac OS 9 - either option works). The error message you got about classic not working if you drag-install it is correct - Classic does NOT support drag-installation.
That is almost definitely the right answer. If it helps, www.apple.com/support has a bunch of good info on reinstalling classic. Just search for 'install classic'. but I would bet dollars to doughnuts that it is the Mac OS 9 driver issue.

Romes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
meh

That makes sense, gald to know why it was grey.

I ended up making a copy of the system folder of a freshly installed copy of 9.2.2 onto a cd, and just dragging it into the volume in each machine. THe drives are still not OS 9 bootable, but the user just wants classic anyways so doesn't mind, and classic starts up just fine. THanks for the help.

dbz1985

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2004
Classic installation issues

Hi, I formatted the drive and installed the os 9 drivers but when i try to install os 9 from the software restore cd it says Wrong Disk : That disc is not supported on this model of computer. And I have no other software restore disks for this Powerbook g4. Is there any solution to this problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.