Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ofiaich

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Hi everyone!

I have searched and found loads of threads on the cradle but not this :)

I tried out TomTom in the car just now and volume level very low, even with iPhone volume turned up!

Does anyone have the same very low volume?

I guess the only way to get it louder is to connect it through the car stereo system? I have a aux connection that allows that.

I cannot see a volume control within the TomTom app, unless I am just not searching enough for it !

edit - while navigating, touch the area at the bottom of the screen which is showing you the direction etc, and here you get a volume slider

thanks to masseur at esato for telling me!

Ofiaich :p

rnewland

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
volume while in dock

I cannot adjust my voice volume when the iphone is in the dock. It comes through just as loud as my music and is really annoying me. I need help. I can only adjust the app volume if the phone is not in the dock but it won't keep the setting when I connect it to the dock.

ofiaich

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2008
I cannot adjust my voice volume when the iphone is in the dock. It comes through just as loud as my music and is really annoying me. I need help. I can only adjust the app volume if the phone is not in the dock but it won't keep the setting when I connect it to the dock.

have you tried that

" while navigating, touch the area at the bottom of the screen which is showing you the direction etc, and here you get a volume slider "

Maybe too obvious but often I miss the obvious!

Ofiaich

JohnSimmons

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2009
Yeah, that last trick works when NOT IN THE DOCK. But I have NO ACCESS to iPhone Volume controls when the iPhone is in that thing. Pisses me OFF. Anyone got a solution???? TomTom and Apple don't seem to.

OK, done with the rant, but I'll leave it in case anyone appreciates it, LOL. Seriously, anyone have an idea on how to solve this or at least a phone number I could call? I will post any new news I find.

KeithR

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2009
Yeah, that last trick works when NOT IN THE DOCK. But I have NO ACCESS to iPhone Volume controls when the iPhone is in that thing. Pisses me OFF. Anyone got a solution???? TomTom and Apple don't seem to.

OK, done with the rant, but I'll leave it in case anyone appreciates it, LOL. Seriously, anyone have an idea on how to solve this or at least a phone number I could call? I will post any new news I find.

I'm having the exact same problem. The adjustment on the side does not seem to work. works fine when out of the dock. I may return if I can't fix this.

jonnymc

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2009
Same problem

Howdy, i get exactly the same problem. The volume control only works under 2 circumstances:

1 - When the app is running and not in the dock, clicking the bottom of the screen brings up volume bar, which adjusts the voice separately.

2 - When the aux is plugged into the Iphone directly,not via the dock, then adjusting the volume either on the side of the iphone, or using the dock volume adjuster works to control the voice separately from the music.

However when the aux is plugged into the dock, it is impossible to adjust adjust the voice volume, either when the voice is speaking, or when it is not. Also tried the adjuster on the side of the iphone itself - still nothing. Having your music on, even at mid level, results in extremely loud voice commands being screamed at you! Not something i expect to happen after paying £100 for it.

So, ultimately this has to be a software glitch, hopefully in 1.3 we can use the dock as its supposed to...

Another thing i want to see in future releases, or maybe its already possible?

Being able to choose for the voice to come out of the dock speaker, then music comes out of the car stereo...?

Finally, anyone having issues with interference, mainly when you accelerate, i find a background hum occurs...?

rendez2k

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
So, I think this is the same issue I'm having. With the iPhone in the TT car dock and a tape adapter connected to the audio out jack, it appears to be impossible to change the volume while listening to iPod either with the iPhone controls or the volume control on the TT dock. Is there no way to change the volume?! It plays very distorted as default - very annoying!

zzyzxuk

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2010
I'm also having the same problem, which to summarise is that:

-you cannot change the -relative- volume of the Tomtom voice vs. the volume of the music you're listening to at the same time, IF you're using an Aux cable to do this through your car radio...

I really wish I'd known this before buying the car kit AND a new car radio to play my iPhone music through... it turns out that I can't use Tomtom at all at the same time as playing iphone music because the Tomtom's voice is WAY too loud compared to the music I'm playing - so that the Tomtom voice nearly blows my speakers if I have the music turned up anywhere close to "normal" volume.

Surely there should be / could be a setting in the tomtom app to lower it's voice's "default" volume, so that when using this alongside the ipod app, the -relative- volume is useable?

I'm REALLY disappointed and think I've just blown a LOT of money for something that doesn't work as advertised.

I've just sent off a note to tomtom about this, but am not optimistic about a reply...

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
FWIW, Navigon offers independent voice volume control, so it must not be a hardware issue. I always use mine when connected via the dock connector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.