Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hellomacguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
hey everyone I'v run into a bit of trouble with an itouch, here's my story.

I recently bought a first gen itouch off ebay(I perfer the first gens physicle design, fits in my hand better). foolishly I decided to buy a untested one, expecting it to work fine. when it arrived it was in recovery mode. unfortunatly when I try to recover the ipod I get error 28,1604, and maybe one or two others. I believe the previous owners tried to jailbreak the ipod and something whent wrong. the ipod is now in DFU mode.

I have tried numerous jailbreak apps(ifuntastic,INdependence,ZIPhone, etc)

I ave tried restoring and jailbreaking on both win and mac but neither do anyting. I have tried shift+restore but this hasnt worked either. I just want this ipod to boot and run aps jailbroken or not. either way I'd be fine with it being jailbroken, I just want to make this thing work.

can anbody help me?

MrBrekke

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
Norway
hey everyone I'v run into a bit of trouble with an itouch, here's my story.

I recently bought a first gen itouch off ebay(I perfer the first gens physicle design, fits in my hand better). foolishly I decided to buy a untested one, expecting it to work fine. when it arrived it was in recovery mode. unfortunatly when I try to recover the ipod I get error 28,1604, and maybe one or two others. I believe the previous owners tried to jailbreak the ipod and something whent wrong. the ipod is now in DFU mode.

I have tried numerous jailbreak apps(ifuntastic,INdependence,ZIPhone, etc)

I ave tried restoring and jailbreaking on both win and mac but neither do anyting. I have tried shift+restore but this hasnt worked either. I just want this ipod to boot and run aps jailbroken or not. either way I'd be fine with it being jailbroken, I just want to make this thing work.

can anbody help me?

Hi there,

I am just making a guess here. I hope it can help you. Get pownage tool or quick pown. The old version. Your tuch might be FW 1. Or 2. First get the 2.1 fw for it. When you have all this do as following:

make sure you kick it out of DFU. (hold power and home button simultanius and insert the power sourse. Or hold power and home button down for 30 sec. Depending on FW.

Use the tools and follow instrustions to restore. Remember you need to have iTunes 7

For much better guid. Google is your friend and "Dev Team"

hellomacguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
using pwnage woulnt do anything because it always fails when i try to load the firmware

MrBrekke

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
Norway
using pwnage woulnt do anything because it always fails when i try to load the firmware

then you have the wrong FW. :) as long as you can kick it out of DFU you can do a normal update with iTunes.

there is a program for the first iPhone that will work on the first gen tuch. it is called bricker or something like that. i had to use it the first day i got my 1st gen iphone. totally bricked it... stuck in DFU..

your best bet is to go for Google and search for the same issue. since you dont know what the latest working FW was you need to assume it is 1. or maybe 2.

Try every method used to kick it out of DFU. and you need to completely remove your new itunes and get iTunes 7. nothing newer. if not you cant restore old FW into the Tuch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.