Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebreadking

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
My girlfriend rents office space in the rear of an existing office building. The building already has a wireless network in place, which is in place solely for those renting out the extra space, like her. However, since the offices that she is renting are so far back in the corner, her signal is less than perfect, and nonexistent in two of the rooms.

I offered to bring in my Airport Express (previously purchased just to stream music) to connect to the network and extend the range, thus offering them complete coverage, but a little reading on the subject tells me that this will effectively cut their transmission speed by roughly half. Is there a way to optimize the Airport Express in a way to get the best signal to her offices without such a harsh penalty of loss of speed? I know this sounds impossible, but I figured if anyone knew a way to do it it would be you guys. I'm down to try anything, whether its software based or something as extreme as wrapping tinfoil around the Express. One thing I can't do is spend money to amend this problem, so I can't purchase a new Express, install a new network, etc.

The Facts:
1. Older Airport Express (b/g, not n)
2. Router in the office is (I believe) a fairly newish Airport Extreme (with n)
3. The computers in the offices are the last model Powerbook G4 (g), a late 2008 Macbook (n), and a couple of year old Dell (probably g).
4. No active wired connection through the walls.

Thanks, guys. Let me know if you need any more info!

thebreadking

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
Thanks for the reply.

Are you suggesting connecting it via ethernet (through the walls or something similar) and positioning it locally to the offices, or is the signal actually amplified by having the Express adjacent to the router?

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
If you want to amplify the wireless signal, you need to use the Airport Express in WDS mode. I believe they need to configure the host router to use WDS as well...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.