Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kim6ball

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
There's rumors going around about redesigned macbook in a couple of weeks? What will they do to it and how much will it cost?

Scippy

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
Somewhere
If we knew it wouldn't be much of a rumor.
With apple, you can never really know until they announce it.

KielderWolf

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Northeast England
Ooh ooh ooh! I bet it'll be ⅝" thick and levitate mystically! :D

In all reality though, I'm guessing nothing much spectacular will happen. And if it does, well... Tuesday tomorrow. I'm sure I'll be taking a peek at the online Apple Store a little while after 18.00 (I'm in good ol' soggy England) and either be pleasantly surprised or indifferent about the arrangement of the "NEW!" tags.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
So the old butt-ugly polycarb gets a makeover. Kinda' cool if true.

That means I'll have a collector's edition whitebook. :D

Haha, CE-WB!

Yea Im curious to see if they ditch the plastic. I really cant see them going to aluminum tho.. What are the other options really??

My grandpa wants to buy the new 13" MacBook "Pro" but I told him to hold off just incase something crazy happens with the MacBook line.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
Yea Im curious to see if they ditch the plastic. I really cant see them going to aluminum tho.. What are the other options really??
I bet the plastic stays. Would be nice if they offered different colors though.

My grandpa wants to buy the new 13" MacBook "Pro" but I told him to hold off just incase something crazy happens with the MacBook line.
Sound advice. What's a few days/weeks anyway.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I was totally thinking that! I bet if they did a decent price drop and offered an array of colors like the nanos, they would sell MacBooks like hot cakes!
Totally awesome! And they could come in green, dark blue, orange, grey, and light blue. Maybe they will alter the shape to look like a toilet seat, and even change the name to something that doesn't sound stupid, like iBook??

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Totally awesome! And they could come in green, dark blue, orange, grey, and light blue. Maybe they will alter the shape to look like a toilet seat, and even change the name to something that doesn't sound stupid, like iBook??

I think if they keep the design the same but slimmed down a little and offer colors it would restore new life to an otherwise old product.
You cant tell me Apple doesnt do this!? Hello nano 5G! Change the colors a bit, throw in a new feature or two and everyone is going nuts over it.

KielderWolf

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Northeast England
If all they do is make the iSight aperture round instead of square, and move the battery indicator lights to the side and make it a sliver of a wafer thinner, I think I might have to travel to Glasgow (my closest store 'til the Newcastle one opens in Spring) and shout at somebody.

Really, the MacBook is old.

Like "I need an overhaul before I die" old.

I doubt they will though. It'll just get a bit thinner. And blander. And bleah. And I want another coffee but we're out of milk. Urgh.

Also, dark blue MacBook? Hmm... sounds tasty.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Lighter than... Air?

"We at apple are always trying to innovate... there has been some huge advancements in our macbook revamp! But we found the units were running a little hot, so we decided to add some fans! We have fans running at the bottom of the laptop, bringing in cooler air that is then dissipated through the new speaker grills- and whats even more amazing, is that the fans spin opposite during startup! Making the New MacBook literally hover as if mana from heaven!"

(Okay if any of you took that literally, shame on you-the only thing we know is Apple is working on the next one, we don't know when or how much... Just save your money in the meantime!)

j5045096

Oct 27, 2007
they should just really bring the Black Polycarbonate MacBook again. I'm sure that would sell a lot!!!!

Funny you say that - I always thought that one looked pretty cool. I had a 2.16 whitebook but have since upgraded to a Unibody Pro but I'll tell you--I loved my whitebook! I really did and my assistant still uses a whitebook and every time I have to do something on it for her I miss that form factor! Love my 15" Pro don't get me wrong but I think the whitebook (and blackbook) were pretty cool laptops! I'm sure some of you who can see the innerds of yours through the broken handrests would disagree, but I liked mine. I'd like to see an improved version - a little better plastic or something and a little thinner...

Undo Redo

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
Colorado, USA
To answer the original question, I think Apple will eliminate the optical drive and firewire. They'll probably add the glass trackpad. Hopefully they'll reduce the size and weight a bit, as well as the price.

Rumor has it there will be more than one model, since there are three MacBooks Pro. I'd like to see a 12" model somewhat like the old 12" PowerBook as well as 13" and maybe even 15". I know it's too much to hope for, but new prices should range from $799 to $1099.

I like the white enclosure and keyboard but wish they'd drop the gloss, on both the display and the exterior.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I would love to see a 12" model like the powebook g4 , only slimmer n aluminum black. Apple please taka away the ugly white!!!

Basically, an updated 12" powerbook with a c2d/n9400 setup? I loved the form factor of my 12", and would buy one in a minute. I daresay apple would sell the heck out of them. It would also be admitting that they made a mistake in coming out with a 13" form factor instead of the 12", so it's probably not gonna happen...;)

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Thinner, lighter, no optical drive? Sounds like the MBA (will that get the axe then?).

I hope it stays 13", or if it goes 12", keep it widescreen and with the same resolution as the 13". I still have my 12" PB and always wish for more screen space.

Whatever they do, I hope they never give it a glass screen!

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
Well firstly I can see the MacBooks being updated soon as the design has been around for over 3 years. An age in apple hardware years.

I doubt it will have a metal enclosure. I think the discontinuation of the Unibody Mackbook and the rename to PRO shows that apple has decided that metal is for the pro line only.

I guess it will be slightly thiner, slightly sexier, have a glass multi-touch trackpad and hopefully be made of a plastic that does not crack and break so easily. I can't see it being any faster or it will overtake the MBP.

I think the 12inch size (that many here seem to want back) is a nice idea, but I can't see apple doing it.

kim6ball

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
You would think that they have to make it pretty cheap compared to the current $900 in order to more so compete with the the PC models. I hate when they cut the price when you recently buy something.

witchypoo

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2009
Central NJ
You would think that they have to make it pretty cheap compared to the current $900 in order to more so compete with the the PC models. I hate when they cut the price when you recently buy something.

This is currently my problem ! I have limited money but need a new computer so the question is how long does one wait? Windows 7 is due out around 10/22 i think...will Apple be ready with something by then?

Undo Redo

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
Colorado, USA
There's going to be a flood of new affordable Win7 computers coming on the market soon. Many of the makers have waited to release their new models with the new OS.

It doesn't seem to really matter to Apple but one would think they'd want to show up with something new too. And if the best they can do on a notebook is $999, it'll be sad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.