PDA

View Full Version : Nissan releases a Konfabulator lookalike for PC

MacBytes
Jul 14, 2004, 08:34 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Nissan releases a Konfabulator lookalike for PC (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040714213411)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

wuntrikpony
Jul 14, 2004, 08:47 PM
Nissan makes software? WTF?

walkingmac
Jul 14, 2004, 08:50 PM
Nissan makes software? WTF?
my thoughts exactly...

jimsowden
Jul 14, 2004, 08:55 PM
Yeah, what the H E double hockey sticks is Nissan thinking?

Sayer
Jul 14, 2004, 08:59 PM
Now waiting for Arlo Rose to throw a new hissy fit at the thought that he has any competition at all - on Windows this time! The nerve!

I guess he has some solace in that the Nissan widgets look terrible compared to those in Mac OS X Tiger or Konfabulator.

Bendit
Jul 14, 2004, 09:09 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple sued Nissan. Oh the irony.

realityisterror
Jul 14, 2004, 09:55 PM
that's a bit wacko jacko...
never said that before in my life... promise.. :rolleyes:

reality

AppleMatt
Jul 14, 2004, 10:00 PM
I just can't understand why Nissan would make this.

I've seen screen-savers, wallpapers and even movies for your PC from car makers but the fundamental difference between those and this is that they promoted the product, these don't.

Additionally, I don't see a prominent "Nissan" logo on these (maybe on the calculator).

Oh well, each to his own.

AppleMatt

HenMaster6000
Jul 14, 2004, 10:18 PM
Since when did Nissan make software? In my opinion, not only does the car sector of Nissan suck, but now too does the "Software" Sector.

Bah...crap

sockeatingdryer
Jul 14, 2004, 10:46 PM
Cue to the whiny sound of Arlo Rose' sobs of copying...

adamfilip
Jul 14, 2004, 11:55 PM
guess what .. i bet nissan doesnt make software.. they prob bought it and are just posting the link.

i bet its made by konfobulator

irmongoose
Jul 15, 2004, 02:21 AM
Even their mini-apps are called "gadgets". It's a Tiger rip-off, not a Konfabulator one. (Yes, I know the current name is "widget", but Apple originally did call them gadgets.)

irmongoose

iMeowbot
Jul 15, 2004, 04:24 AM
Even their mini-apps are called "gadgets". It's a Tiger rip-off, not a Konfabulator one. (Yes, I know the current name is "widget", but Apple originally did call them gadgets.)
No, no. This is version 3 of Desktop Tools. It's been around since 2002. It's a bit different from the other tools, this one is based on Flash.

irmongoose
Jul 15, 2004, 05:10 AM
Are you saying Apple ripped-off Nissan?

Hmmm....

irmongoose

iMeowbot
Jul 15, 2004, 05:21 AM
Are you saying Apple ripped-off Nissan?
I don't think I'd say they're even that close. It's not really set up as a programming environment for the end user, just a news ticker and some other little toys, a freebie promo thingy from Nissan Magazine. Remember PointCast? It kind of reminds me of that.

autrefois
Jul 15, 2004, 01:40 PM
Maybe Apple quickly developed this, secretly sold it to Nissan, and asked them to release it to make Konfabulator look bad.

"Quit complaining, Konfab. Hey look—even Nissan, a CAR COMPANY, can do widgets! But wait until Tiger comes out, and you'll see only Apple can make them good..."

rendezvouscp
Jul 15, 2004, 04:58 PM
Actually, the clock is a total Apple rip-off. I'm commenting on the black and lighter black background on the clock.
–Chase

Sabbath
Jul 15, 2004, 06:52 PM
Wow this is one of the more random stories, I had no idea nissan would produce (provide?) such apps. Would this really make you buy a nissan however?