PDA

View Full Version : G5 Dust Bunnies

jobutex
Jul 14, 2004, 10:49 PM
I would like some friendly advice here if possible...

I've had my Dual 2GHz G5 for about 3 months now (very, very satisfied with my new baby) and although I wouldn't call my house a "high dust environment" I have noticed that my components (motherboard, heat sinks, etc.) are starting to gather some dust.

Has anyone used a can of compressed air to keep the inside of their G5 clean? Any caveats that you can think of before I do so? The only fan that I plan to remove is the fan assembly that you remove when adding/removing RAM, however if any other parts can be removed and cleaned accordingly I'd appreciate someone pointing them out to me!

jsw
Jul 14, 2004, 11:09 PM
I've taken off the cover and blown out the insides with compressed air. I didn't do anything fancy or remove anything except the fans, and it seemed to work fine.

It would be nice if someone would make an air filter for the front grill. 9 fans = lots of dust sucked inside.

crazzyeddie
Jul 14, 2004, 11:32 PM
Just be careful to read the directions on the can very carefully. Especially be careful not to turn the can upside down and get the liquid on the computer, it will destroy components! I would suggest removing as little as possible (although the one fan assembly does sound like a good idea) just so that you don't develop any problems with lose cards, etc...

Duff-Man
Jul 14, 2004, 11:47 PM
Duff-Man says...and make sure you grab the right can. I guy I work with once went for the compressed air but grabbed the wd40 by mistake! That was one well-oiled pc when he was done....oh yeah!

win_convert
Jul 15, 2004, 08:42 AM
In some circles they reccommend you use vacums rather than compressed air as vacums remove the dirt whereas compressed air just moves it from one place to another.

virividox
Jul 15, 2004, 08:59 AM
do a combo attack of compressed air and vacum attack hehe

dislodge the dust and suck it up :)

Finiksa
Jul 15, 2004, 11:30 AM
do a combo attack of compressed air and vacum attack
Vacuum cleaners create a lot of static electricity so be very careful. Make sure you don't actually touch the logic board or any other component with end of the hose. Compressed air alone is a much safer solution.

gopher
Jul 15, 2004, 11:49 AM
I would like some friendly advice here if possible...

I've had my Dual 2GHz G5 for about 3 months now (very, very satisfied with my new baby) and although I wouldn't call my house a "high dust environment" I have noticed that my components (motherboard, heat sinks, etc.) are starting to gather some dust.

Has anyone used a can of compressed air to keep the inside of their G5 clean? Any caveats that you can think of before I do so? The only fan that I plan to remove is the fan assembly that you remove when adding/removing RAM, however if any other parts can be removed and cleaned accordingly I'd appreciate someone pointing them out to me!

Raise your G5 another 6 inches more above the ground. You'll be surprised how much less dust it gathers. If you have to, put it outside of the desk since it is so tall.

belair
Jul 15, 2004, 12:20 PM
hello there.
cleaning your machine can be very rewarding, espacially if you are such a cleansiness freak as I am. I cleaned my G3 several times in its lifetime and I used as mentioned before the "double pack" dry air to dislodge the dust an a vacum cleaner to suck it up. I touched the ram and some sensible parts but only very lightly.

Its in the gentleness that lies the secret of a happy and clean machine. :rolleyes:

cc bcc
Jul 15, 2004, 02:05 PM
I used the vacuum cleaner to suck up the dust. I would not suggest anyone to do that, but if you are careful it shouldn't be a problem. I do suggest you'd shutdown your computer and disconnect all wires, although mine was asleep and connected and is still working fine. It makes less noise now. I had to remove a lot of dust, since it's sitting on a wooden floor..

belair
Jul 15, 2004, 02:26 PM
Yeah definately
I cleaned mine after removing all the cables an putting it on a desk with plenty of room around to control your mouvements with a clunky plastic vaccum cleaner in hand.

You dont want to slip and jam the thing into your motherboard and die electrocuted because your mac was still plugged. :eek:

fBaran
Jul 15, 2004, 10:59 PM
To help prevent it, you can stretch some panty hose over the fan openings. It's thin enough to let air through, but thick enough to stop dust and what not.

win_convert
Jul 16, 2004, 01:30 AM
To help prevent it, you can stretch some panty hose over the fan openings. It's thin enough to let air through, but thick enough to stop dust and what not.

Does your computer get louder as a result? I would be worried about the strain it puts on the fan, even though it is so thin?
Good idea though.

Timelessblur
Jul 16, 2004, 02:06 AM
just go buy some fan filters. Those are washable and let a huge amount of are though