Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

121358-vonage_mobile_1.jpg
121358-vonage_mobile_2.jpg

VoIP provider Vonage today announced the launch of Vonage Mobile, offering low-cost international calling for the iPhone [App Store, Free], iPod touch [App Store, Free], and BlackBerry. The iPhone application permits calls to be made via Wi-Fi or cellular connection, while the iPod touch application is obviously limited to Wi-Fi calling only.
With Vonage Mobile you can call around the world from home, a Wi-Fi hotspot, or while traveling around the country. Vonage Mobile is easy to use. There are no access numbers or new phone numbers to give to friends and family. Simply enter an international number or select a contact from the existing contacts on your iPhone or Blackberry and hit send. Vonage does the rest.

This app will give customers exceptional per-minute rates to any country they want to dial. In the fourth quarter 2009, we will enhance the app to include the popular Vonage World plan that was introduced for home service in August. This enhancement extends the ability to make unlimited calls to over 60 countries for one flat monthly fee to mobile users, giving customers the choice to pick the plan that fits them best.
iPhone users calling international numbers via the Vonage Mobile application on a cellular network are automatically connected to Vonage's network and utilize only domestic airtime minutes on their carrier while paying Vonage's international rates for the calls from a prepaid, automatically refillable account.

Article Link: Vonage Mobile Offers International Calling for iPhone and iPod Touch

gocardsfan1

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
Wow that's awesome. I can't believe AT&T allowed Vonage to use their network to make calls. The only problem is that you are still using minutes from your plan with AT&T while you call using Vonage.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
WThe only problem is that you are still using minutes from your plan with AT&T while you call using Vonage.

But it's perfectly understandable, as you are using AT&T's network to make a domestic call to Vonage's servers. If you don't want to use your minutes, you'll have to connect via Wi-Fi.

80s Fan

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
OK, so let's say you are an American traveling abroad. How would this work for calls back to the U.S.? Would it even work? And if so, is it the same as described above --- your calls count against your AT&T plan?

gocardsfan1

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
But it's perfectly understandable, as you are using AT&T's network to make a domestic call to Vonage's servers. If you don't want to use your minutes, you'll have to connect via Wi-Fi.

I agree, it is completely reasonable for it to work that way. It does, however, take away from the usefulness of the Vonage app, because you would still have to pay your plan with AT&T, unless you have wifi access all the time of course.

MattWylde

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
I've used Vonage in the past and it was HORRIBLE!! They have terrible customer service, the phone calls would often be VERY POOR quality (so much that the calls were unbearable), there were long delays between speaking and hearing what was spoken (enough that you had to wait until the person was done speaking completely before you could even try to respond to them), and the service was not cheap.

I will never ever use Vonage again. RIP-OFF!!

You are much better off using Skype or Google Voice.

somberlaine

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Fairfax, VA
how come Apple didn't reject this app based on the claim that it duplicates the iphone core functions? google voice app would work in the same fashion.

I just set up the account unfortunately there is no way to tie it to my home vonage account. I can understand why someone would get vonage mobile without having a vonage home phone but at least they should give their current customers the option to tie vonage mobile to their home service.

ogxjason15

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
how come Apple didn't reject this app based on the claim that it duplicates the iphone core functions? google voice app would work in the same fashion.

I just set up the account unfortunately there is no way to tie it to my home vonage account. I can understand why someone would get vonage mobile without having a vonage home phone but at least they should give their current customers the option to tie vonage mobile to their home service.

You can tie it with your Home Vonage account. Just sign up using your Home Vonage Phone number. It will make you choose a Pin and it will call your home phone number to confirm. I have already tried this, and all the calls made on my iPhone also shows up on my Vonage Account Management page.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
Is this just for international calls? Would I be able to make US calls for free from my touch?

gara56

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
Skype to skype is free, looks like this isn't possible with vonage, is it?

First of all Skype isn't Vonage when it comes to Vonage Mobile. I haven't tried Vonage Mobile yet, but we're talking about making calls to landlines and cellphones--not to another Skype user like you would if on a desktop computer. The only way I know it's free is if you both are logged on the network at the same time and can see each other. The question I have is that if Vonage Mobile allows you to make an international call using the 3G network (like I think it said on the Vonage site, but disputed by people who actually tried)--I would expect Skype to update its existing iphone software to do the same. I just don't see ATT allowing this to happen, because it would allow people to choose a more affortable option to ATT's overpriced rates. ATT is just killing its competition for long distance services. :mad:

somberlaine

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Fairfax, VA
You can tie it with your Home Vonage account. Just sign up using your Home Vonage Phone number. It will make you choose a Pin and it will call your home phone number to confirm. I have already tried this, and all the calls made on my iPhone also shows up on my Vonage Account Management page.

How did you manage that? My first instinct was to use my home account logon information but i got a message saying that i cannot sign in using it and that I must create a new account.

libertyforall

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2006
So is multi-presence included or an extra cost? I hope there is a BroadVoice app coming soon, or maybe X-Lite free SIP client?! ;-)

gara56

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
Is this just for international calls? Would I be able to make US calls for free from my touch?

If true--this would apply to international calls only. I would see the point of using it for domestic long distance calls especially if you have that free (with your minutes) on most domestic plans anyway.

ogxjason15

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
How did you manage that? My first instinct was to use my home account logon information but i got a message saying that i cannot sign in using it and that I must create a new account.

You have to create a new login account. Use your Home Vonage Phone number to register instead of your iPhone number. It will ask you to enter a PIN (Enter Anything). It will then call your Home Vonage Number and ask you to enter that PIN.

That's is....it will be linked...

As of now, you can only make Free Calls within the US. It seems like it doesn't use any of your carrier minutes when you use 3GUnrestrictor...someone please confirm.

somberlaine

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Fairfax, VA
You have to create a new login account. Use your Home Vonage Phone number to register instead of your iPhone number. It will ask you to enter a PIN (Enter Anything). It will then call your Home Vonage Number and ask you to enter that PIN.

That's is....it will be linked...

As of now, you can only make Free Calls within the US. It seems like it doesn't use any of your carrier minutes when you use 3GUnrestrictor...someone please confirm.

Thanks!

ogxjason15

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
I can confirm that 3GUnrestrictor lets you make calls on the 3G Network without using your carriers minutes!

rld1971

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008

I think this will be similar to what iSkoot used to (does?) with Skype: it connects you through the wireless (voice, not data) to the network (i.e. at some point they bridge you over). I.e. you go: wireless (AT&T minutes) -> Vonage number# -> VOIP.

This is good for AT&T and Apple: AT&T minutes are still used; more consumers will be willing to buy the iphone and plans (with data!); it's a no-brainer.

Btw, when abroad (on voice, not wifi)... you will be charged your regular minutes + any roaming charges. Also, hopefully there's an access # in the country where you are (and also I assume that there are no data network charges).

I'm amazed that iSkoot hasn't done it yet! (I used to use it on my Nokia e71).

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
"iPhone users calling international numbers via the Vonage Mobile application on a cellular network are automatically connected to Vonage's network and utilize only domestic airtime minutes on their carrier while paying Vonage's international rates for the calls from a prepaid, automatically refillable account."
Wow. It looks like some brilliant employee at Vonage came up with a legal work-around. Call Vonage local, and let them do the long-distance. Brilliant. ;)
(I really don't see how this will hurt AT&T's income anyhow. I don't know anyone that uses their cell phone to make international calls; everyone uses calling cards or a landline (or both))

Wow that's awesome. I can't believe AT&T allowed Vonage to use their network to make calls. The only problem is that you are still using minutes from your plan with AT&T while you call using Vonage.

Who cares? I have 4000 rollover minutes every month, 5000 night and weekends, and unlimited mobile-to-mobile. I don't think this will be a problem. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.