PDA

View Full Version : Vonage Mobile Offers International Calling for iPhone and iPod Touch

MacRumors
Oct 5, 2009, 11:18 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/10/05/vonage-mobile-offers-international-calling-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/10/05/121358-vonage_mobile_1.jpg http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/10/05/121358-vonage_mobile_2.jpg

VoIP provider Vonage today announced (http://pr.vonage.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=413492) the launch of Vonage Mobile (http://www.vonagemobile.com), offering low-cost international calling for the iPhone (http://www.vonagemobile.com/phones_iPhone-info.html) [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=331814922&mt=8), Free], iPod touch (http://www.vonagemobile.com/phones_Touch-info.html) [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=331815612&mt=8), Free], and BlackBerry (http://www.vonagemobile.com/phones_BlackBerry-info.html). The iPhone application permits calls to be made via Wi-Fi or cellular connection, while the iPod touch application is obviously limited to Wi-Fi calling only.With Vonage Mobile you can call around the world from home, a Wi-Fi hotspot, or while traveling around the country. Vonage Mobile is easy to use. There are no access numbers or new phone numbers to give to friends and family. Simply enter an international number or select a contact from the existing contacts on your iPhone or Blackberry and hit send. Vonage does the rest.

This app will give customers exceptional per-minute rates to any country they want to dial. In the fourth quarter 2009, we will enhance the app to include the popular Vonage World plan that was introduced for home service in August. This enhancement extends the ability to make unlimited calls to over 60 countries for one flat monthly fee to mobile users, giving customers the choice to pick the plan that fits them best.iPhone users calling international numbers via the Vonage Mobile application on a cellular network are automatically connected to Vonage's network and utilize only domestic airtime minutes on their carrier while paying Vonage's international rates (http://www.vonagemobile.com/rates/) for the calls from a prepaid, automatically refillable account.

Article Link: Vonage Mobile Offers International Calling for iPhone and iPod Touch (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/10/05/vonage-mobile-offers-international-calling-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch/)

gocardsfan1
Oct 5, 2009, 11:31 AM
Wow that's awesome. I can't believe AT&T allowed Vonage to use their network to make calls. The only problem is that you are still using minutes from your plan with AT&T while you call using Vonage.

WildCowboy
Oct 5, 2009, 11:35 AM
WThe only problem is that you are still using minutes from your plan with AT&T while you call using Vonage.

But it's perfectly understandable, as you are using AT&T's network to make a domestic call to Vonage's servers. If you don't want to use your minutes, you'll have to connect via Wi-Fi.

80s Fan
Oct 5, 2009, 11:40 AM
OK, so let's say you are an American traveling abroad. How would this work for calls back to the U.S.? Would it even work? And if so, is it the same as described above --- your calls count against your AT&T plan?

gocardsfan1
Oct 5, 2009, 11:43 AM
But it's perfectly understandable, as you are using AT&T's network to make a domestic call to Vonage's servers. If you don't want to use your minutes, you'll have to connect via Wi-Fi.

I agree, it is completely reasonable for it to work that way. It does, however, take away from the usefulness of the Vonage app, because you would still have to pay your plan with AT&T, unless you have wifi access all the time of course.

wallinbl
Oct 5, 2009, 11:52 AM
Why can we have this, but not have Google Voice?

MattWylde
Oct 5, 2009, 11:52 AM
I've used Vonage in the past and it was HORRIBLE!! They have terrible customer service, the phone calls would often be VERY POOR quality (so much that the calls were unbearable), there were long delays between speaking and hearing what was spoken (enough that you had to wait until the person was done speaking completely before you could even try to respond to them), and the service was not cheap.

I will never ever use Vonage again. RIP-OFF!!

You are much better off using Skype or Google Voice.

somberlaine
Oct 5, 2009, 11:53 AM
how come Apple didn't reject this app based on the claim that it duplicates the iphone core functions? google voice app would work in the same fashion.

I just set up the account unfortunately there is no way to tie it to my home vonage account. I can understand why someone would get vonage mobile without having a vonage home phone but at least they should give their current customers the option to tie vonage mobile to their home service.

Angelo921
Oct 5, 2009, 12:07 PM
Does anyone know what the rates are to call to Greece? Landline and cellphone?

countrydweller
Oct 5, 2009, 12:08 PM
Skype to skype is free, looks like this isn't possible with vonage, is it?

ogxjason15
Oct 5, 2009, 12:09 PM
how come Apple didn't reject this app based on the claim that it duplicates the iphone core functions? google voice app would work in the same fashion.

I just set up the account unfortunately there is no way to tie it to my home vonage account. I can understand why someone would get vonage mobile without having a vonage home phone but at least they should give their current customers the option to tie vonage mobile to their home service.

You can tie it with your Home Vonage account. Just sign up using your Home Vonage Phone number. It will make you choose a Pin and it will call your home phone number to confirm. I have already tried this, and all the calls made on my iPhone also shows up on my Vonage Account Management page.

somberlaine
Oct 5, 2009, 12:24 PM

landlines $0.02
mobile $0.23

under account, you can see rates for every country

gara56
Oct 5, 2009, 12:27 PM

Go to the VonageMobile site for the rates.

techiegirl
Oct 5, 2009, 12:28 PM
Is this just for international calls? Would I be able to make US calls for free from my touch?

gara56
Oct 5, 2009, 12:34 PM
Skype to skype is free, looks like this isn't possible with vonage, is it?

First of all Skype isn't Vonage when it comes to Vonage Mobile. I haven't tried Vonage Mobile yet, but we're talking about making calls to landlines and cellphones--not to another Skype user like you would if on a desktop computer. The only way I know it's free is if you both are logged on the network at the same time and can see each other. The question I have is that if Vonage Mobile allows you to make an international call using the 3G network (like I think it said on the Vonage site, but disputed by people who actually tried)--I would expect Skype to update its existing iphone software to do the same. I just don't see ATT allowing this to happen, because it would allow people to choose a more affortable option to ATT's overpriced rates. ATT is just killing its competition for long distance services. :mad:

somberlaine
Oct 5, 2009, 12:34 PM
You can tie it with your Home Vonage account. Just sign up using your Home Vonage Phone number. It will make you choose a Pin and it will call your home phone number to confirm. I have already tried this, and all the calls made on my iPhone also shows up on my Vonage Account Management page.

How did you manage that? My first instinct was to use my home account logon information but i got a message saying that i cannot sign in using it and that I must create a new account.

libertyforall
Oct 5, 2009, 12:35 PM
So is multi-presence included or an extra cost? I hope there is a BroadVoice app coming soon, or maybe X-Lite free SIP client?! ;-)

gara56
Oct 5, 2009, 12:40 PM
Is this just for international calls? Would I be able to make US calls for free from my touch?

If true--this would apply to international calls only. I would see the point of using it for domestic long distance calls especially if you have that free (with your minutes) on most domestic plans anyway.

ogxjason15
Oct 5, 2009, 12:45 PM
How did you manage that? My first instinct was to use my home account logon information but i got a message saying that i cannot sign in using it and that I must create a new account.

You have to create a new login account. Use your Home Vonage Phone number to register instead of your iPhone number. It will ask you to enter a PIN (Enter Anything). It will then call your Home Vonage Number and ask you to enter that PIN.

That's is....it will be linked...

As of now, you can only make Free Calls within the US. It seems like it doesn't use any of your carrier minutes when you use 3GUnrestrictor...someone please confirm.

somberlaine
Oct 5, 2009, 12:48 PM
You have to create a new login account. Use your Home Vonage Phone number to register instead of your iPhone number. It will ask you to enter a PIN (Enter Anything). It will then call your Home Vonage Number and ask you to enter that PIN.

That's is....it will be linked...

As of now, you can only make Free Calls within the US. It seems like it doesn't use any of your carrier minutes when you use 3GUnrestrictor...someone please confirm.

Thanks!

ogxjason15
Oct 5, 2009, 01:20 PM
I can confirm that 3GUnrestrictor lets you make calls on the 3G Network without using your carriers minutes!

room237
Oct 5, 2009, 01:21 PM

Exactly!! And I'm surprised that VOIP calls can be placed using just a cellular connection. This does essentially the same as Google Voice would, minus the voicemail feature.

elgrecomac
Oct 5, 2009, 01:21 PM

I bet Google's attorneys are asking the same question....:D

rld1971
Oct 5, 2009, 01:38 PM

I think this will be similar to what iSkoot used to (does?) with Skype: it connects you through the wireless (voice, not data) to the network (i.e. at some point they bridge you over). I.e. you go: wireless (AT&T minutes) -> Vonage number# -> VOIP.

This is good for AT&T and Apple: AT&T minutes are still used; more consumers will be willing to buy the iphone and plans (with data!); it's a no-brainer.

Btw, when abroad (on voice, not wifi)... you will be charged your regular minutes + any roaming charges. Also, hopefully there's an access # in the country where you are (and also I assume that there are no data network charges).

I'm amazed that iSkoot hasn't done it yet! (I used to use it on my Nokia e71).

iphones4evry1
Oct 5, 2009, 01:59 PM
"iPhone users calling international numbers via the Vonage Mobile application on a cellular network are automatically connected to Vonage's network and utilize only domestic airtime minutes on their carrier while paying Vonage's international rates for the calls from a prepaid, automatically refillable account."
Wow. It looks like some brilliant employee at Vonage came up with a legal work-around. Call Vonage local, and let them do the long-distance. Brilliant. ;)
(I really don't see how this will hurt AT&T's income anyhow. I don't know anyone that uses their cell phone to make international calls; everyone uses calling cards or a landline (or both))

Wow that's awesome. I can't believe AT&T allowed Vonage to use their network to make calls. The only problem is that you are still using minutes from your plan with AT&T while you call using Vonage.

Who cares? I have 4000 rollover minutes every month, 5000 night and weekends, and unlimited mobile-to-mobile. I don't think this will be a problem. :)

wrlsmarc
Oct 5, 2009, 02:16 PM
i fail to understand why this is any different than google voice or truphone. Google voice allows you to either call in to your number to place the outbound call or you can use the google voice web app to initiate the call over the web. these are all dial around services. to me vonage is late to the game.

ogxjason15
Oct 5, 2009, 02:27 PM
i fail to understand why this is any different than google voice or truphone. Google voice allows you to either call in to your number to place the outbound call or you can use the google voice web app to initiate the call over the web. these are all dial around services. to me vonage is late to the game.

Once Vonage enables the World Plans...it will be quite different :)

Also Vonage is a real VoIP carrier that replaces your ordinary home phone.

kuebby
Oct 5, 2009, 02:37 PM
I'm not really clear about how this works for iPhone users calling either domestically or internationally from a foreign country.

Obviously if you turn the phone on it will auontomatically join the local network (my brother forgot to turn his phone to Airplane when we were in France and it automatically joined Orange) and then if you made any calls on the cell network you would have to pay for those minutes...

but what if you called using Wi-Fi? Is it the same prices as if you were calling from within the United States?

ogxjason15
Oct 5, 2009, 02:40 PM
I'm not really clear about how this works for iPhone users calling either domestically or internationally from a foreign country.

Obviously if you turn the phone on it will auontomatically join the local network (my brother forgot to turn his phone to Airplane when we were in France and it automatically joined Orange) and then if you made any calls on the cell network you would have to pay for those minutes...

but what if you called using Wi-Fi? Is it the same prices as if you were calling from within the United States?

If you were to use Wi-Fi and an App like Vonage/Skype (Unlimited US Plan)/Truphone/Google Voice...the calls will be free. However, if you are out of Wifi Range during a call, you will be disconnected.

dread
Oct 5, 2009, 04:47 PM
My brother does product testing for vonage, but did not work on this app, although he knew of it. This is typical vonage garbage. Their networks are the cheapest they can buy which is why only 30% of their calls work to international numbers. He told me they know of the issues and don't do anything about it, which is why they loose as many customers as they gain each month. The customer service is non-existent. The problem with vonage is their networks are horrible. For example I was in tanzania for 6 months and when my wife called me on our cablevision phone, the call always went through and sounded crystal clear and we only paid $.08 a minute, when my parents called on their vonage phone it would take 4-5 attempts to get through and I couldn't understand a word they were saying most of the time, plus they were paying $.30 a minute.

edoates
Oct 5, 2009, 04:54 PM
Using my iPhone 3Gs, it turned "airplane mode" on, then turned WiFi back on, so my cellular services are not available. Then I called my home landline number with 1-areacode-number, and the call went through, no problem. Slight delay (maybe 1/4 second: cool echo effect when I turned on my land line speaker phone ;-). No money was deducted from my $1.00 freebee from Vonage.

So that answers a prior question about turning off cell coverage while overseas to prevent in-country cell and roaming charges. You may have to pay for WiFi, however.

I assume the international call stuff is just fine calling from the US. I'm not out of the country for a while, so I can't test the WiFi use overseas (or shipboard on a cruise: that might be interesting...).

Note that it does NOT replace your home phone: you cannot receive calls via Vonage Mobile, and 911 does not work. But your caller ID goes through.

Eddie O

mambodancer
Oct 5, 2009, 05:27 PM
I agree, it is completely reasonable for it to work that way. It does, however, take away from the usefulness of the Vonage app, because you would still have to pay your plan with AT&T, unless you have wifi access all the time of course.

It doesn't use your minutes if you call on the weekends or after 9pm (or earlier, depending on your plan). That's what unlimited nights and weekends are for.

wrlsmarc
Oct 5, 2009, 07:30 PM
i was a former vonage customer. not sure how the service is now but back 2 years ago their international voice quality was pathetic. with skype, google voice and truphone, i have never had a bad sound quality issues.

My brother does product testing for vonage, but did not work on this app, although he knew of it. This is typical vonage garbage. Their networks are the cheapest they can buy which is why only 30% of their calls work to international numbers. He told me they know of the issues and don't do anything about it, which is why they loose as many customers as they gain each month. The customer service is non-existent. The problem with vonage is their networks are horrible. For example I was in tanzania for 6 months and when my wife called me on our cablevision phone, the call always went through and sounded crystal clear and we only paid $.08 a minute, when my parents called on their vonage phone it would take 4-5 attempts to get through and I couldn't understand a word they were saying most of the time, plus they were paying $.30 a minute.

techiegirl
Oct 5, 2009, 07:55 PM
Has anybody tried it on the Touch? I can't get it to work with a bluetooth headset.

bretm
Oct 5, 2009, 10:15 PM
I've used Vonage in the past and it was HORRIBLE!! They have terrible customer service, the phone calls would often be VERY POOR quality (so much that the calls were unbearable), there were long delays between speaking and hearing what was spoken (enough that you had to wait until the person was done speaking completely before you could even try to respond to them), and the service was not cheap.

I will never ever use Vonage again. RIP-OFF!!

You are much better off using Skype or Google Voice.

Well, I can't comment on your experience, or Vonage's customer service, because I've never needed it. They sent us a modem, we plugged it in, it worked. 5 Years later and nobody has ever noticed we're on vonage or complained about the quality. It's invisible. Never noticed Im using vonage either. Except of course when the cable goes out.

But for $25 a month, I get all the features the cable companies are charging $40 for. I can listen to messages online, have them emeiled to me, divert calls to cell phones if the service (Internet) is out, you name it. Faxes work great too these days. Didn't always.

I have to believe it's better than skype, etc.

Sorry it didn't work for you. Did you speed test your connection?

techiegirl
Oct 5, 2009, 10:31 PM
I too have had great experience with Vonage. Voice quality has been great. For $25 a month, we get unlimited international calls. I also get text of my voice messages emailed to me included.

optophobia
Oct 5, 2009, 10:41 PM
I too have had great experience with Vonage. Voice quality has been great. For $25 a month, we get unlimited international calls. I also get text of my voice messages emailed to me included.

REALLY ? Wow, I had vonage about 4 years ago, and the sound quality sounded like an old man with sleep apnea talking into a kazoo while jumping out of a plane into a waterfall.

me.s
Oct 5, 2009, 10:54 PM
I have used vonage in the past and will never use them again or recommend them. They are fine until you want to cancel your service and then they charge fees that are not disclosed and are very nasty. They even went so far as to change account information to their advantage without authorization. Very bad experience. If you google vonage problems you will find many complaints along these lines.

kuebby
Oct 5, 2009, 10:55 PM
If you were to use Wi-Fi and an App like Vonage/Skype (Unlimited US Plan)/Truphone/Google Voice...the calls will be free. However, if you are out of Wifi Range during a call, you will be disconnected.

Thanks, it still sounds like something that would have been very useful on my trip to France. On which I didn't take my iPhone, and I really missed it. :(