Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bannor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
I've read some conflicting reports regarding prolonging the battery life of an Ibook. When I am using the Ibook while hooked up to AC should I be removing the battery? Most of what I've read seems to indicate that this is the proper procedure for most laptops. But other posts I've read that pertain directly to Apple laptops claim that this precautionary measure is unnecessary. Does anyone know the correct answer to this question? I would obviously prefer not to have to remove the battery, but if it extends the battery's life by a significant amount then it would be worthwhile...

Dennis

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
are you referring the "memory effect" of rechargable batteries? Older NiCad batteries suffered from that. If the batteries weren't completely drained the batteries did not take on their full charge. well that doesn't happen anymore.

With new Lithium Ion batteries they don't suffer the same fate. The advice from finiksa post seems sounds and reasonable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.