Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fred924

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Today I was able to get my hands on this computer. This is the first Macintosh I got that seems like its worth fixing. My problem is that while the computer seems to boot up fine, I cannot get anything to show on the screen. I am guessing the video card or the CRT is bad (worse case scenario), but since I am new to Macs I was wondering if someone more experienced could give me any clues as to whats happening here.

Here is a video I made of the computer, if that helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukH6ovQg9Uc

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Get an external display adapter. Apple store sells them.

It could be many different things. It will probably cost more (in labor) to diagnose and fix than what the computer is worth.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Do you feel the CRT degauss when you turn it on? Its perhaps just a loose cable inside the machine. At worst the CRT is dead. You can open it up to take a look inside, but be VERY careful when poking around with the CRT - it can hold several thousand volts and can kill you.

fred924

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Do you feel the CRT degauss when you turn it on? Its perhaps just a loose cable inside the machine. At worst the CRT is dead. You can open it up to take a look inside, but be VERY careful when poking around with the CRT - it can hold several thousand volts and can kill you.

I have dissambled monitors (although these sit outside for months before I touch 'em so I know they're dead, and I just play with the circuit boards) before, so I know the dangers and I am very careful when dealing with CRTs. I try not to mess with the CRT itself, so if this is a complicated problem, I'll just throw it on the scrap heap. And yes, I did hear the CRT degauss, I dont know if you can hear it in the video or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.