Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

learning_bird

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2004
I've a second hand 12" 500 MHz dual usb iBook which has a battery that isn't recognized by the logic board. The battery indicator tells that is 3/4 full.

I've tried a known good friend's battery and it's also not recognized by the board. All the usual things were made : fresh OS X 10.3.4 install, reseting the PMU and the NVRAM on Open Firmware. Zero reaction.

So I thought : another victim of the iBook Logic Board failure.

Go to Apple support: a new board would cost me more than 500 euros ( I'm in Europe and that means more than US$700, when you add the sales tax ). What?!
The technicians even concede that it must be a logic board problem but since the iBook doesn't show any of the video issues stated for an acceptable logic board free replacement they refuse to include my iBook in the LB replacement program.

I'm going crazy!

Now the only way to have the board replaced is to me to induce some of those video problems on my book. I know this is odd but I see no other way and it's here that I'm calling for your help. Without dealing with the hardware and the innards of the laptop, in the software how can I do it?

I think there are only two ways, either changing the parameters of Open Firmware ( but this would be overcomed by a nvram-reset / set defaults command ) or the OS X video extensions and appearance.

But since I'm not fluent with UNIX language and editing and changing the OS X kernel can you help me telling me exactly how I can do it?

Please help!!

Thank you all!

Learning_bird

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Well, trying to induce a failure to get a free repair for a problem that is well out of warranty is highly unethical.

Aside from that I doubt the problem is the logic board. I'm not certain of the specifics of your model iBook but most Apple laptops use a separate "Battery Transfer Board" or "DC board" to pass the power to the battery, which may have failed so getting the logic board replaced may not fix the problem.

learning_bird

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2004
Thank you Finiksa for answering my question and serch for help.

As I said, Apple's technicians opinion was the same as mine : it is a logic board failure. The question is that the simptom showed by this failure affects the proper battery recognition and not the video problems listed by Apple to make the LB replacement, though I saw several testimonies in US newsgroups and forums of boards replaced due to simptoms equal to mine ( battery recognition ) or USB and Firewire malfunctioning.

It seems that in Europe Apple is even more conservative and tries the most it can to avoid a LB replacement. Unfortunately it's not uncommon through its history to see Apple denying to accept their own mistakes and support their clients, wich are the most loyal and pay a hefty bill to acquire Apple's products.

And that's what I call unethical

Unethical is asking US$1000, $1500 or $2000 for a defective laptop.
Unethical is doing so during 30 months of production.
Unethical is being aware of the problem and doing nothing to solve it in the very first months of the manufacturing process.
Unethical is denying the sole existence of the problem, as Apple made during that 30 month period, even with thousands of complaints.

Cheers, Finiksa.

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
OK, I was probably a bit harsh but I still think it's a bit unethical, though you make some good points.

Looking at it from another perspective your iBook is probably susceptible to the LB video problem so "stress testing" it to see if it happens isn't such a bad idea. If you get it repaired and it fixes the battery issue then cheers to you.

I'll get off my soapbox now. I'm not sure that making any firmware changes could induce the problem. From what I've heard it's probably related to heat, so putting the system under load (graphics chip espically) is perhaps the best way to see if it occurs.

I'd try setting the power options to not sleep etc. and play a video on a loop overnight. Maybe playing a game demo on a loop or running some graphics benchmark software nonstop might work better. I'm not aware of any particular software but you could probably find something suitable on MacUpate.

learning_bird

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2004
Thank you again, Finiksa.

Today or this weekend I'll try UT or other demo game in non-stop mode at a high frame rate to stress it to the max.

Thanks.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
learning_bird said:
Thank you again, Finiksa.

Today or this weekend I'll try UT or other demo game in non-stop mode at a high frame rate to stress it to the max.

Thanks.

the logic board problem is one caused by the case putting pressure on the board makeing little fissures in the logic board near the gpu causeing screen artifacts the replacement logic board is stronger but still susseptible to the problem (mine is going at the moment i get the odd screen artifact)

if you want to induce the problem stress the board by twisting it no amout of stress testing will cause the specific problem covered by the logic board replacement program.

i wouldnet reccomend this to you but that is what causes the problem mine has failed three times so when it finaly dies i should be able to weasle my way into a nice new ibook g4 :D which many people have done.

learning_bird

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2004
Hector and Finiksa,

I've went through the bookmarks I've made when investigating the LB failure problems reported and found one prior macrumors thread where you started discussing this issue :
https://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-78119 .
You pointed some of the same solutions.

I'll try first the flexing case method.

BTW, at this precise moment I've headphones connected to the iBook. Just connecting and disconnecting two or three times the jack induces the Expose effect with green and pink hues. Wow!

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
learning_bird said:
BTW, at this precise moment I've headphones connected to the iBook. Just connecting and disconnecting two or three times the jack induces the Expose effect with green and pink hues. Wow!

Sounds like you're half way to a complete LB failure, my screen went pink just before the failure then wouldn't come on at all after a reboot and the USB and firewire ports would only work intermittently.

I'd be careful not to crack the headphone jack though, Apple have denied some repairs if it is calling it "abuse".

BTW, Hector did you get a new set of OS X discs with your previous LB replacements?

I just picked up my iBook this afternoon and it came with a new set of 10.3.2 discs, they said the LB isn't compatible with earlier versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.