Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
I am thinking about upgrading a 7200 rpm hard drive in my laptop to an ssd drive.
I was wondering if these drives will result in a real performance benefit for video editing in particular.
I would also be interested in whether ssd drives would benefit performance in photo editing and general OSX performance.
I read that because of the differences in read/write times and other factors, ssd drives may not improve performance in some situations.
Thanks for any advice.

anthemus

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
Denver
Yes, it does for me. I bought a 128GB Super Talent SSD. Much faster than 7200rpm. Programs snap open, files save fast and video playback is without delay. The only problem I have had is space. Once you realize the power and speed you start to use it more. I've opt'd for an external to keep the bulk of the media.

Plus if your running Snow Leopard it runs very smooth. Snow Leopard does a lot of file swapping so you should see a performance increase. Make sure you have your memory maxed out. My MacBook Unibody has 4Gb and runs FCP7 just fine when editing HD.

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
the computer will feel snappier, but overall editing shouldn't be improved much. you need fast scratch disks (read: external for laptops) for faster editing/rendering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.