PDA

View Full Version : Transferring files from a Yosemite G3

AngeredTree
Jul 15, 2004, 11:27 AM
I will soon switch from my ancient Blue & White to a new G4 Powerbook, and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how I should transfer the bulk of my files stored on the internal Drive.

I know I can use the Built-In Ethernet on the G3, but I was considering buying a Gigabit card off Ebay and taking advantage of the enhanced speed.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I know FW Target Disk Mode is out, unless someone knows a hack that lets B&W's do this...

Thanks in Advance.

millhouse
Jul 15, 2004, 12:11 PM
im in the same boat, im on a blue and white g3 (g4 upgraded) and getting a 12 inch powerbook by summers end, if you have both of them running panther you could hook a firewire cable between them and use IP over firewire that's included in panther and log in from one machine, and transfer files over speedy speedy firewire.

otherwise target diskmode on firewire would be the fastest.

Horrortaxi
Jul 15, 2004, 12:23 PM
IP over Firewire. I don't even think you need Panther on both machines. I used to do this in Jaguar.

AngeredTree
Jul 15, 2004, 01:27 PM
How does that work exactly in Jaguar? IP over firewire I mean...

Target disk mode doesn't work on B&W's, it's the only Mac with Built-In FW that can't be used in Target Disk Mode (Although I am almost certain it can be a host)

jeremy.king
Jul 15, 2004, 03:15 PM
http://stocksy.is-a-geek.com/information/tcpipoverfw/tcpipoverfw.php

Google is our friend :)

After that, Sharepoints (http://www.hornware.com/sharepoints/) can help you setup shares to get all your files.

AngeredTree
Jul 15, 2004, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the link, really helps out a lot more than the Apple Support page on it.

I was also wondering if this was possible in Jaguar as previously stated. I have found no information suggesting that it is, save for the ADC Preview of IP over Firewire software that is no longer available.

Sweetfeld28
Jul 15, 2004, 04:17 PM
Target Disk Mode via FireWire. This would be decent, than trying to mess with it over IP.

"does not work, has to have built in firewire..."
*this is not true, i used my Beige G3 with target disk mode; i installed a PCI FireWire card though.

Host computer requirements

Host computers must meet the following requirements:

Built-in FireWire port, or a FireWire port on a PC card

FireWire 2.3.3 or later

Mac OS 8.6 or later

Target computers

The following models can be used as target computers:

iMac (Slot Loading) with Firmware version 2.4 or later

iMac (Summer 2000) and all models introduced after July 2000

eMac (All models)

Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics) with ATA drive

Power Mac G4 Cube

Power Mac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) and all models introduced after July 2000

Power Mac G5 (all models)

iBook (FireWire) and all models introduced after September 2000

PowerBook G3 (FireWire)

PowerBook G4 (All models)

AngeredTree
Jul 15, 2004, 05:07 PM
Blue and White G3 is not on that list because you cannot use Target Disk Mode with it. You can set it as a Host (as stated previously) but it cannot be the Target.

Sweetfeld28
Jul 15, 2004, 05:18 PM
Blue and White G3 is not on that list because you cannot use Target Disk Mode with it. You can set it as a Host (as stated previously) but it cannot be the Target.

He would be the Host computer. I thought that he is trying to get his files from his G3 to the G4 Laptop, isn't he?

AngeredTree
Jul 15, 2004, 09:11 PM
He would be the Host computer. I thought that he is trying to get his files from his G3 to the G4 Laptop, isn't he?

The Target computer is the computer that is being used as a firewire disk.

The Host computer is the computer that functions normally and has the other computer attached to it as a firewire disk.

I know that makes very little sense, but it's really hard to phrase.

Sweetfeld28
Jul 15, 2004, 09:44 PM
Question 4: What is FireWire Target Disk Mode?

Answer: FireWire Target Disk Mode allows a Macintosh computer with a FireWire port (the target computer) to be used as an external hard disk connected to another computer (the host). See technical document 58583 :"Macintosh: How to Use FireWire Target Disk Mode" for further information.

I found it, now i understand. THnx, AngeredTree.

AngeredTree
Jul 15, 2004, 11:01 PM
No problem.

Still, does anyone have experience with using IP over Firewire in Jaguar?

Krizoitz
Jul 16, 2004, 05:31 AM
I don't see the problem here.
If the G3 can be the host, and the PowerBook can be the target, FW Disk mode is going to be just what you need. Mount the PowerBook as a Disk and just start dragging files to it to copy them. Thats all there is to it.

matthewr
Jul 16, 2004, 06:21 AM
I just took delivery of a new 1.33 Ghz 15 inch PB yesterday (!) and had to get all my files (about 12 GBs worth) off my old Pismo, which didn't have firewire. So I just hooked the two together via Ethernet, set up filesharing and copied them all over. Took about 30 minutes (or less) to do it. Unless you have an enormous number of images, music or video, I'd just do that. It was simple and relatively quick.

AngeredTree
Jul 16, 2004, 10:10 AM
I don't see the problem here.
If the G3 can be the host, and the PowerBook can be the target, FW Disk mode is going to be just what you need. Mount the PowerBook as a Disk and just start dragging files to it to copy them. Thats all there is to it.

Question 4: What is FireWire Target Disk Mode?

Answer: FireWire Target Disk Mode allows a Macintosh computer with a FireWire port (the target computer) to be used as an external hard disk connected to another computer (the host). See technical document 58583 :"Macintosh: How to Use FireWire Target Disk Mode" for further information.

I found it, now i understand. THnx, AngeredTree.

It's confusing, I know...

AngeredTree
Jul 16, 2004, 10:12 AM
I just took delivery of a new 1.33 Ghz 15 inch PB yesterday (!) and had to get all my files (about 12 GBs worth) off my old Pismo, which didn't have firewire. So I just hooked the two together via Ethernet, set up filesharing and copied them all over. Took about 30 minutes (or less) to do it. Unless you have an enormous number of images, music or video, I'd just do that. It was simple and relatively quick.

You transferred 12GB worth of stuff over 100Base-T ethernet in 30 minutes? really? Is crossover that much faster than using a switch or router? I have seen tests in OS X where 100Base-T gets around 9000k/s read speeds, but I have never gotten anywhere near that...

maxvamp
Jul 16, 2004, 10:35 AM
If you have a 100MBit ethernet, that should be fine. I would prefer Target mode on FW if it is a complete dump, but I transfer large amounts of data all the time over the network.Works OK.

As for the GB ethernet, if you have a B&W, it won't be worth the extra money because I doubt that your hard drive could feed data fast enough to justify the cost. I have such a setup, and even my PMDA 733 has a hard time on it's RAID doing more that about 20 MBytes per second through the network to a AMD64 machine.

Max.

jeremy.king
Jul 16, 2004, 10:41 AM
You transferred 12GB worth of stuff over 100Base-T ethernet in 30 minutes? really? Is crossover that much faster than using a switch or router? I have seen tests in OS X where 100Base-T gets around 9000k/s read speeds, but I have never gotten anywhere near that...

While Theoretically possible (at an ideal rate of 12.5MB/sec it would take only 16 mins), I doubt this claim as well. I did a similar large file transfer through a switched hub and it took almost 1.5 hours to transfer about 16 GB.

AngeredTree
Jul 16, 2004, 11:07 AM
If you have a 100MBit ethernet, that should be fine. I would prefer Target mode on FW if it is a complete dump, but I transfer large amounts of data all the time over the network.Works OK.

As for the GB ethernet, if you have a B&W, it won't be worth the extra money because I doubt that your hard drive could feed data fast enough to justify the cost. I have such a setup, and even my PMDA 733 has a hard time on it's RAID doing more that about 20 MBytes per second through the network to a AMD64 machine.

Max.

Thanks, yeah I saw a Gigabit ethernet card on eBay for 10 bucks with 7.50 shipping, but I really dont think I will be able to get my Drive to feed fast enough to make a difference. Besides, I can wait a while for it to transfer (Could just set it before I go to bed for example) I just didn't want it to take days to transfer 20 gigs or so...

maxvamp
Jul 16, 2004, 11:23 AM
If I recall, just before I toasted the proc my B&W last week, the 12 GB drive in the server had a read rate of about 3.5 -> 5 MBytes / sec. ( 200 -> 250 MBytes / min )

You could probably do the math and figure out how long it should take.

I would expect about an hour.

Max.

Dreadnought
Jul 16, 2004, 11:45 AM
Make sure that your G3 isn't tooooo fragmented... I had the same when transferring my files from my B&W to my G5... My G3 crashed all the time with transferring files because of the harddisk was tooo fragmented... Didn't matter what I threw away and how many space I had left, it kept on crashing. Same happened with my ipod... But they worked fine when they wheren't hooked up in a network! After deleting everything from the pod and G3 and reinstalling everything after a couple of harddisk sweeps it still works fine!

maxvamp
Jul 16, 2004, 11:54 AM
You might want to clean up and check your disks with Norton **before** you start this process.

Last thing you want is to run into any nasties during the transfer process.

Max.