Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaasen Jones

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
I'm running Windows 7 professional. (it was released to the college early and IT students get a free copy) I installed it on my 2.8 UMBP, and after windows booted up, I installed the drivers from the boot camp on my mbp installation disc. After booting up again, i get the blue screen. I've reinstalled multiple times and still the same issue and it's always after I install the drivers from the boot camp disc. Any ideas on what is causing the issue from the disc?

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I'm running Windows 7 professional. (it was released to the college early and IT students get a free copy) I installed it on my 2.8 UMBP, and after windows booted up, I installed the drivers from the boot camp on my mbp installation disc. After booting up again, i get the blue screen. I've reinstalled multiple times and still the same issue and it's always after I install the drivers from the boot camp disc. Any ideas on what is causing the issue from the disc?

Well, hate to state the obvious, but it sounds like it's one of the drivers. Start up in safe mode (by holding down F8 I believe) and check the error report to see what's happening.

Jaasen Jones

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
It was the bootcamp.exe file. I went into msconfig and disabled it and no blue screen, but this affects keyboard and mouse layout in performance. I assume it might be best to wait until bootcamp is updated to provide better support for windows 7, but im still looking at what other people did because I'd like to get it running stable now than later.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
It was the bootcamp.exe file. I went into msconfig and disabled it and no blue screen, but this affects keyboard and mouse layout in performance. I assume it might be best to wait until bootcamp is updated to provide better support for windows 7, but im still looking at what other people did because I'd like to get it running stable now than later.

You could try installing the bootcamp 3.0 drivers in compatibility mode. Right click the setup.exe on the CD, properties, select the compatability mode tab and select Vista SP1 as the OS and tick the Run as Administrator box, click ok then run.

That works for me and another 4 Macs I've stuck 7 RTM on so far..

Jaasen Jones

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
I will try that, thanks for the tip. I installed a trial of parallels to try and that works fine, but I want the os to run natively and not emulated on the desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.