PDA

View Full Version : History repeated as Apple slams chip provider

MacBytes
Jul 15, 2004, 12:35 PM
Category: PowerPC
Link: History repeated as Apple slams chip provider (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040715133502)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

gerardrj
Jul 15, 2004, 12:56 PM
Apple is not "slamming" IBM. Apple is simply stating that IBM, like all other chip manufacturers, experienced many more problems when moving to a 90nm process for CPUs. IBM has the capacity, the drive and the willingness to build this chips at the volume Apple needs/wants.

Contrast this to Motorola who's delays were not industry wide, who's drive to update the chips was nearly non-existent. The problem with Motorola was that Apple was asking them to be a leading edge manufacturer of general purpose CPUs when MOT was moving toward low power integrated CPUs for consumer electronics.

Motorola didn't want to keep pushing clock speed, power draw and heat generation; these things aren't necessary or desirable in cell phones, digital cameras, microwave ovens, etc.

IBM is a major computer manufacturer, they also want to be a world class CPU fabrication mill, hence the $3B investment in the Fishkill plant. Their delays are simply a matter of physics, not of politics.

There is almost no similarity between the two production issues except for Apple being the computer company affected by the shortage.

rjwill246
Jul 15, 2004, 01:21 PM
Apple is not "slamming" IBM. Apple is simply stating that IBM, like all other chip manufacturers, experienced many more problems when moving to a 90nm process for CPUs. IBM has the capacity, the drive and the willingness to build this chips at the volume Apple needs/wants.

Absolutely correct. These headlines are getting worse and worse!

autrefois
Jul 15, 2004, 02:05 PM
I'm NOT saying this is the reason for the problems, but I can't imagine IBM is too upset by all this.

When IBM couldn't hit 3.0 GHz as planned, they probably just watched the 1984 Super Bowl ad a few times, happy to be largely in control of Apple's destiny.

Perhaps they e-mailed Steve Jobs. "Sorry, Apple. Seriously."

In any case, I hope for Apple's sake that IBM is the first in the industry to really get past the current 90nm problems soon.

NAG
Jul 15, 2004, 02:05 PM
Yeah, the Register tends to start flame wars. Although, they are a good place for news, sometimes.

sjk
Jul 15, 2004, 04:13 PM
These headlines are getting worse and worse!Yeah, we're bombed with jadedly opinionated, emotionally over-stimulating media announcements and reactions.

shamino
Jul 15, 2004, 05:57 PM
If AMD ... but its fans - fondly known as 'Athloons' ...

Has anyone heard this term used at all before this article? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I just did a Google search on "athloon" and found a very small number of hits - all misspellings of "athlon". None of them referring to people that like to use AMD's chips.

iMeowbot
Jul 15, 2004, 06:35 PM
(Athloons)
Has anyone heard this term used at all before this article? :confused: :confused: :confused:
That's the Register's schtick. The wild headlines and silly nicknames are supposed to be a parody of the tabloids. Sometimes they seem to forget it's a gag.

space2go
Jul 17, 2004, 06:23 PM
Hmm if their mission is to trick people into thinking they are just yet another bad tabloid on the net they had me for the past few years...