Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paperstreet

macrumors member
Original poster
Here's the deal. I'm going on a road trip in a month, and I wanted to download jwires hotspot locations. I wanted to somehow have the web page stored in memory so that I didn't need internet access to access it. That way, I can pull the hotspot locator up, find the nearest hotspot, and get on for internet access.

Am I making any sense here?

THanks for your help.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
Well you can simply 'save as' the webpage. Offline you would be able to view it except the images. So if that list is not displayed as an image, it would be fine.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
firefox has an option to save as... -> web page, complete.
(this will create a folder with all images, etc. so that the webpage is really "complete" even offline.)

other option is to print the page as PDF...

12ibookg4

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2003
you could use IE and file-save as and then choose web archive. there are options like if you want to save pictures, movies, and save the pages that the page links to.
but in safari the best way is just to save it as a pdf

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
Option+click is the quickest way to download (I do it all the time trying to hit command+click for a new tab :rolleyes: ). However as stated you don't get images, print as PDF would do the trick just great.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Paperstreet said:
Here's the deal. I'm going on a road trip in a month, and I wanted to download jwires hotspot locations. I wanted to somehow have the web page stored in memory so that I didn't need internet access to access it. That way, I can pull the hotspot locator up, find the nearest hotspot, and get on for internet access.

THanks for your help.
You have two options:
1. Save the web page(s) as PDF(s).
Advantages: low bandwidth use, small files
Disadvantages: links are not clickable, directory structure is not preserved
2. Use SiteSucker to download the entire web site/page.
Advantages: clickable links, directory structure is preserved
Disadvantages: high bandwidth use, large files

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Paperstreet said:

THanks for your help.

go to versiontracker.com and search for one :rolleyes:

itsumo

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2004
UK
Paperstreet said:
Here's the deal. I'm going on a road trip in a month, and I wanted to download jwires hotspot locations.
Do you mean this thing?
http://www.jiwire.com/jiwire-hotspots-offline-wap-avantgo-hotspot-directory-laptop.htm

You can just download that normally like any other application. Or am I missing something? That downloads a copy of their directory as well; you just have to press quit or whatever at the start to stop it trying to connect to their live web server, according to their instruction.

Apologies in advance for having misunderstood...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.