Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danneman101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Ive got two computers: one running leopard, and a laptop I just purchased running snow.

I want to be able to develop apps on both computers, which I understand means I have to keychain-sign the second computer as well.

However, since Im registered as an individual I only get one Development Certificate, and this is already signed to my first computer.

Ive tried following the instructions under "Program Portal->Certificates->HowTo", and did the first step (Generating a Certificate Signing Request) successfully.

But in step two (Submitting a Certificate Signing Request for Approval) it says Im supposed to press the button "Add Certificate" under "Certificates’ > ‘Development’.

The problem is there is no such button for me - most probably because Im an individual developer.

So, is there a way to get development going on my laptop or can I only do it on one computer at a time?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
You shouldn't need to generate a new CSR. Just copy the original from the first computer to the second and install into into your Keychain from there.

Danneman101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Ok, so I:

1. Exported the .p12-file from the keychain-program from the first computer.

2. Double-clicked it on my second computer, and chose "login" in the Keychain-dropdown-box.

Both a private key and a certificate is now available under "login" in the keychain-program.

The keychain is valid it says.

I do have two other keychains (1 private, and 1 public) that was made before I imported the one. Should I remove these?

3. I then try to drag the various provisioningprofiles I have on my first computer on to xcode in the second computer.

4. Start xcode, and the provisioningprofiles appear as warnings in the organizer->provisioning profiles, saying:

"A valid signing identity matching this profile could not be found in your keychain".

Any idea what Im doing wrong? Should be working, right?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I've never had any luck installing provisioning profiles via Xcode. I use iTunes instead (a suggested alternative according to the Program Portal).

newlearner

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
india
As as alternative to dragging the profiles into Xcode, try copying them into Library/Mobile Devices/ProvisioningProfiles: this always works for me.

Danneman101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
dejo: I could not find anything on how to do it via iTunes. You wouldnt happen to have a link, would you?

newlearner: Yes, this also works in getting the provisiong-files into xcode, but the same problem occurs with this method - they still say "A valid signing identity matching this profile could not be found in your keychain".

Ive installed and reinstalled the system, thinking that perhaps I screwed up my keychains somehow and perhaps even exported the wrong key.

Could someone please tell me what items I need to export from my first computers keychain in order to make it work in computer 2? This is what Ive got:

login:
- Apple Worldwide Developers Relations, certificate (valid)
- MyKey, private key
- MyKey, public key
- Iphone Developer: My Name, certificate (valid)
- Iphone Distribution: My Name, certificate (valid)

system:
- Apple Worldwide Developers Relations, certificate (valid)

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
dejo: I could not find anything on how to do it via iTunes. You wouldnt happen to have a link, would you?

Here's what the Program Portal > Provisioning > How To > Installing a Development Provisioning Profile says:
Alternatively, you can drag the .mobileprovision file onto the iTunes icon in the dock or copy the file to ‘~/Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning Profiles’. If the directory does not exist you will need to create it.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I usually only install one dev certificate in the keychain per user account. Otherwise XCode is reported to sometimes get confused. If you have 2 dev certs in your keychain, delete both and reinstall the one you want to use with that account (from the .p12). Then quit and restart XCode before trying to add your provisions.

Danneman101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Finally, it worked!

1. Export private key from login on comp 1.
2. Import and install it to comp 2.
3. Download and install Certificate.
4. Download and install WWDRCA.cer (which was the step I stumbled on)
5. Download and install developers/distr. provisioning profiles to xcode.

Thanks for you help :)

TAJones99

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Orange Park, FL
I have the same problem I just got a macbook pro that I want to do my apps on it as well, so the certs I need will be the apple worldwide developer and iPhone Distribute one from my iMac is that right.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I have the same problem I just got a macbook pro that I want to do my apps on it as well, so the certs I need will be the apple worldwide developer and iPhone Distribute one from my iMac is that right.
You'll need the WWDR certificate, your developer certificate, your distribution certificate, your private key, your development provisioning profile, and your distribution provisioning profile. Whew. I think that's all of 'em.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.