PDA

View Full Version : Dead G4 Powerbook. :( Ordered a Macbook Pro & have q's please

Greenone
Oct 6, 2009, 09:46 PM
Hello -

It's not like I can't figure this out myself with lots of research and self-educating (I'm not very computer-literate), but in practical terms, does anyone here feel like telling me the good news about how the new Macbook Pro's are better than what I had before/how life will [hopefully] be easier? :D

What I had before - which was a 15" - I bought exactly 4 years ago this month (Oct. '05). It had a 1.67 GHz processor; it had 1.5 gb ram; and it had 93.04 gb. Ultra ATA/100 and 5400 rpm. Battery power was up to 5.5 hours (never more than 1.5-2 hours it seemed, back when the battery was supposedly new).

System software it came w/:
Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger (includes Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat AV, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Classic environment, Xcode Developer Tools). The other software (did I really have all this?!) was: iLife 05 (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie HD, iDVD, GarageBand), Zinio Reader, Art Directors Toolkit, GraphicConverter, OmniGraffle, OmniOutliner, QuickBooks For Mac New User Edition, and Apple Hardware Test.

What's on the way is also a 15" and its specs are: 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (I hope it wasn't a mistake to order that smallest offering on GHz); 4 gb ram (supports up to 8 it says); hard disc drive/capacity (it just says hard drive) it lists 250GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm (same rpm! I think that can be upgraded now though, for not much money). It *supposedly* has a 7-hour battery life (hmmm...well if I could get an easy 3 hours out of it I'd be happy). System bus is 1066 MHz but I don't remember what that means. Nothing fancy but a lot nicer than what I had before I hope!

I'm also curious about what might be offered in the package now as opposed to back then, in terms of software it comes with. I'll go to apple's site and see what info they have about it there, too, but if you really like any of the newer features and want to tell me about it, please do!

Thank you...

Eddyisgreat
Oct 6, 2009, 10:09 PM
Well, Your new MBP > Your old PB

Thats about all the mental masturbation i'm willing to do.

In terms of Software, Apple succinctly sums that up on the MBP Tech Specs page: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard (includes iTunes, Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Photo Booth, Front Row, Xcode Developer Tools)

iLife ’09 (includes iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand)

Snow leopard will probably blow your ********** mind if you are coming from a Geezerbook.

Enjoy the new purchase